PDA

View Full Version : Knee Pain

inabag
03-03-2011, 11:51
I backpacked almost 30 miles last weekend in WV and ended up with some pretty bad knee pain. The last 5 miles were very painful, and I was basically limping along.

The pain has gotten better the past few days - but I still don't feel as if I can run. I have a 5 mile trail running race on Sunday that I am hoping to make.

I was hoping for some advise from the community on what might be going on with my knee. If it continues I will obviously seek a doctors advice.

The pain is on the outside of my right knee. It ranges from the side just above my knee a couple of inches to right below, and even going behind the knee a bit. It is ok when walking, but I can feel it slightly. When attempting to run, or go up or down stairs at a decent pace, it is very painful - sometimes to the point where I feel like it is giving in on the weight.

I have been icing it and going as easy as I can. From what I have read it could be a minor sprain, a IB issue, or a LCL issue (I hope not).

Gonna be bummed if I don't race on Sunday.

Thoughts?

Praha4
03-03-2011, 11:54
I had the same problem a couple years ago after descending the north side of Blood Mountain. It turned out to be Illotibial Band Syndrome, a common knee problem with backpackers. Suggest you go to your doctor to confirm, a good physical therapist can help take care of it if it is that. After resting it a bit to heal, Learn proper strength and stretching exercises and you'll be fine.

Jedeye
03-03-2011, 12:04
I second the chance that it could be your IT Band, do a search for IT Band Stretches. The pain can come from the tendon becoming tight and pulling things out of alignment.

Bilko
03-03-2011, 12:15
I would second the idea that your injury is your I-Band. Walking on uneven ground, walking excessively on uphills or downhills, or walking with extra weight on your back (WOW, that sounds familiar) are all possible causes of Iliotibial Band Syndrome. . As Jedeye suggested search the web for more information, the following for I-Band Stretches. I would not race on it this weekend.

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/knee-pain.php

inabag
03-03-2011, 12:18
I have made an appointment for the this afternoon to have it looked at. Further reading and advice here does make it sound like the IT Band.

I was only carrying 18-20lbs for the hike, but the terrain was strenuous with over 3500 elevation gain over the 30 miles, so does not surprise me. I also run roughly 12-15 miles weekly.

Bleh.

peenut
03-03-2011, 12:33
Sounds like IT Band problem. I've had it before and it can cause hip pain as well. Dont over do it. Strengthen glutes and core. Squats and lungs will help with the glutes.

peenut
03-03-2011, 12:36
Stretching never helped me. I had to strengthen my glutes before I noticed a real difference. This is an over use injury because the IT band is trying to compensate for weaker or fatigued muscles.

DapperD
03-04-2011, 00:45
I have made an appointment for the this afternoon to have it looked at. Further reading and advice here does make it sound like the IT Band.

I was only carrying 18-20lbs for the hike, but the terrain was strenuous with over 3500 elevation gain over the 30 miles, so does not surprise me. I also run roughly 12-15 miles weekly.

Bleh.Sounds like you put in some tough milage and you may have developed an overuse injury. Best to get it diagnosed by a professional, as it could wind up being among many different issues:-?:http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/knee_injuries.htm

inabag
03-04-2011, 10:04
Doc said Tendonitis due to overuse. It has actually improved a lot since yesterday. I have been icing it all week and taking it easy, and taking ibuprofen 2x daily.

Doc said I can run on it Sunday if I feel up to it. He did not feel as if it was a full on IT band issue, based on my movement and pain - just overuse of the knee tendons.

inabag
03-07-2011, 12:39
I ran. Was pouring down rain, very muddy, and a very technical single track trail. I started off strong and felt good, but had pain kick in around 3 miles. The pain built through the remainder of the race, but I finished.

I have three weeks off until my next race, so lots of time to heal up. Paying for it today though :)

Thanks for the advice and such.

JJJ
03-08-2011, 07:23
I've had a similar pain that reponded well to massage at the other end of the muscle up around the hip.

Are you running Terrapin Mt?
JJJ

NorCal50
03-10-2011, 19:23
I've tried massage and stretching, not much luck. However, the Pro-Tec Iliotibial Band Compression Wrap seems to work and keeps me functioning.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Iliotibial-Band-Compression-Wrap/dp/B0006VVL9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299799321&sr=8-1

Bobby
03-13-2011, 12:56
I had the same problem last year - I ran often, but increased my long run milage too quick coming out of the winter. This lead to an inflamed IT band. I had several races already planned and could not (didn't want to) take that much off. I used stretching, lots of Alieve and I started using the double cho pat -

timehttps://secure.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=10

The combination worked great and I was able to complete several long races including a 50 mile trail race with minimal pain.

blitz1
03-16-2011, 16:58
Doc said Tendonitis due to overuse. It has actually improved a lot since yesterday. I have been icing it all week and taking it easy, and taking ibuprofen 2x daily.

Doc said I can run on it Sunday if I feel up to it. He did not feel as if it was a full on IT band issue, based on my movement and pain - just overuse of the knee tendons.
What's your doctors specialty? If he or she's an orthopoedic surgeon, sports medicine doc or rheumatologist then I'd cautiously believe their assesment, but if they're a generalist I'd respectfully be a little cautious relying totally on their advice (I say this as a board certfied rheumatologist with 19 yr experience in patient care, though I stopped seeing patients quite a few yr ago). Not to give unwanted advice, and not to be critical of other docs, but not all docs doing general medicine are equally able to evaluate this kind of pain and give the best advice to patients. Many are outstanding, others aren't.
I am NOT giving medical advice here (can't do that anyway without an exam) but the description sure sounds consistent with ITBS. Many runners with this have found they had to try several different types of ITB stretches before they came up with something that worked for them. if you do a google search you'll find about 3 or 4 quite different stretching regimens. You may have to experiment to see what works best for you. You deifnitely shouldnt try to just run through this of course, as that risks making it worse and delaying your full recovery.
Good luck!

kayak karl
03-16-2011, 17:19
i didn't know there were this many doctors on WB. :)

One Half
04-10-2011, 21:04
I've tried massage and stretching, not much luck. However, the Pro-Tec Iliotibial Band Compression Wrap seems to work and keeps me functioning.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Iliotibial-Band-Compression-Wrap/dp/B0006VVL9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299799321&sr=8-1

Try getting a foam roller and rolling on the TFL (tensor fascae latae). If you need a picture and directions let me know and I will send you instructions. Also, ice, and ice again. Often times when the TFL is overactive poeple will experience pain in the IT band around the knee. Everyone's "key" is different but I would try this. I also just started using this http://www.power-systems.com/p-4483-trigger-point-total-body-package.aspx with clients and am getting great results with it. I use the ball to access the TFL when it's available.