PDA

View Full Version : Want to skip approach trail

peenut
03-03-2011, 12:56
I'm starting my hike March 24th and I'm looking at skipping Amicalola and getting dropped off at US42 and hike back 0.9 miles to the start at Springer. Does anyone know the difficulty and conditions of the roads for this approach. My dads dropping me off and I don't want him to get lost or stuck on a poorly maintained road.
Thanks

Lone Wolf
03-03-2011, 13:02
it's usually passable with small autos. what type of vehicle?

Smile
03-03-2011, 13:05
Good choice, skip the approach :)

Lillianp
03-03-2011, 13:06
When I was there last february, the road was... not the best, but passable, I believe. You might contact the Hiker's Hostel, as they do runs up there a lot this time of year.

max patch
03-03-2011, 13:08
usfs 42 is just about as good of a forest service road as you're gonna see. your dad can drive there in a normal passenger car. i've never had any issues with the road (not including winter).

it is, however, a dirt road on the side of a mountain that has less width than a normal paved 2 lane road. with that in mind, the roads to Amicalola SP are all "real" paved roads. Don't let the approach trail "scare" you, its really a nice hike and is nowhere as "tough" as some people here will lead you to believe.

peenut
03-03-2011, 13:10
I believe he drives an SUV.

peenut
03-03-2011, 13:13
I don't have a problem doing the Amicalola route. The problem is I only have about 13 days to section hike and my goal is Clingmans dome.

max patch
03-03-2011, 13:25
Given your objective and time frame then bypassing the approach trail makes a lot of sense. Your dad will be fine on the road, and in the unlikely event that something mechanical happens it won't be too long before someone comes along to help out.

bulldog49
03-03-2011, 13:43
usfs 42 is just about as good of a forest service road as you're gonna see. your dad can drive there in a normal passenger car. i've never had any issues with the road (not including winter).

it is, however, a dirt road on the side of a mountain that has less width than a normal paved 2 lane road. with that in mind, the roads to Amicalola SP are all "real" paved roads. Don't let the approach trail "scare" you, its really a nice hike and is nowhere as "tough" as some people here will lead you to believe.

It's not a tough hike, I've never heard anyone claim it to be so. I've hiked it and found it to be the most unremarkable trail I've ever hiked. Worth skipping in my book. If I were to extend my thru I would do the Knife Edge on Katahdin and exit via Roaring Brook, much more scenic than the approach trail. But I never hear people making a big deal about that. :-?

peenut
03-03-2011, 13:51
Thank for the information.
Happy trails

theeulogy
03-03-2011, 13:55
Interested to see how your trip goes, I will be doing it the same way in May. I have 14 days to Clingmans dome.

peenut
03-03-2011, 14:20
I'll post my results. Good luck

Mags
03-03-2011, 14:26
It's not a tough hike, I've never heard anyone claim it to be so. I've hiked it and found it to be the most unremarkable trail I've ever hiked. Worth skipping in my book. If I were to extend my thru I would do the Knife Edge on Katahdin and exit via Roaring Brook, much more scenic than the approach trail. But I never hear people making a big deal about that. :-?

Logistics wise it makes things easier, though.

Call it 4 hrs to hike vs the driving time to US42 and doubling back to Springer (which I don't know).

I'd rather hike for 4 hrs vs. being in a car (and doubling back) for what, 2?

I skipped it on my AT hike, did on my BMT hike. It is part of AT lore and was a pleasant (if not spectacular) hike. The waterfalls were cool..probably be more impressive if I had not done Western hiking. (And because I am a realist, the so-called mountain lakes in Colorado are not as big and pretty as the ones in Maine! :) )

YMMV

As for it being tough, I think it is chill. Other people do disagree however (usually people who advocate not getting physically ready for a hike. :D)

Blissful
03-03-2011, 14:39
I don't have a problem doing the Amicalola route. The problem is I only have about 13 days to section hike and my goal is Clingmans dome.

Good luck on that. Probably could do it but it will be hard. No zeros either. Some tough terrain.

bulldog49
03-03-2011, 16:04
Call it 4 hrs to hike vs the driving time to US42 and doubling back to Springer (which I don't know).

I'd rather hike for 4 hrs vs. being in a car (and doubling back) for what, 2?

:D)

There is no "doubling" back for the hiker.

Mags
03-03-2011, 17:51
There is no "doubling" back for the hiker.

The FS42 trail head to Springer Mtn back and north to FS42 again sounds like doubling to me. :sun

Many Walks
03-03-2011, 19:35
Just a thought, you might consider being dropped at Clingman's Dome and hiking back to Amicalola. Same section, no bad roads, downhill on the approach trail and amenities in the nice park when you're done. Either way, enjoy your hike!

Skidsteer
03-03-2011, 20:38

That's hustling!

tigerpaw
03-03-2011, 22:17
He won't get stuck on 42, but you should watch out for the mtn bikers :)

theeulogy
11-29-2011, 20:49
Just wondering if the OP got his hike in? I ended up doing the same route skipping the approach in late May. I ended up doing that section in 13 days with a through hiker who went on later to be named "Woodchuck". This was my first section and I am planning one every year till complete. I am looking at 6 or 7 more years, I can only do two week sections.

mateozzz
11-29-2011, 21:16
You're going to hike a 2000 mile trail and are starting by skipping the first 8 miles? Do the approach trail, it is a good warmup and has the waterfalls. Its not like you are going to go back any time soon, right?

Del Q
11-29-2011, 21:20
Great feedback..........although unplanned initially, my son (20 on Saturday) helped me decide to go South to Springer and North to Katahdin on my section hike of the AT............so when I get to Springer I will decide, its easier going South, its downhill all the way to Amicola, right?