PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking 101- Your Advice

ShoelessWanderer
03-03-2011, 13:27
So our local backpacking group & Sierra Club chapter are teaming up to teach a Backpacking 101 class (http://www.meetup.com/OCBackpackers/events/15539850/). Myself & 3 of my fellow organizers are instructing it...of course we're going to cover the basics but I thought I'd go to you all experts on whiteblaze and ask...if you were teaching the class, what would you be sure that your students knew before they left?

TallShark
03-03-2011, 13:39
The all important, no hands in the gorp bag.

sbhikes
03-03-2011, 13:45
We have a similar course in my area. I won't attend or teach because they focus too much on carrying tons of "safety" gear. I don't want to backpack carrying a ton of weight for all the what-if scenarios and I don't want to teach others to hike that way. So, if you can, teach some lightweight backpacking techniques so that people can opt to reduce some excess weight in exchange for knowledge (such as proper campsite selection, multiple use, etc.) that would be a good thing in my opinion.

Kerosene
03-03-2011, 13:49
I second sbhikes' suggestion. I'd also talk about multi-use items; avoid fixating on gear initially; selecting the right footwear; and how to read a map enough to find where you are and how to bail in an emergency.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2011, 13:55
foot wear is the most important gear followed by pack, shelter and sleeping bag

BrianLe
03-03-2011, 13:56
First question is what you're assuming about attendees. That they've never slept outdoors (or at least some haven't)? That they have or have not ever day hiked? That they are or are not familiar at least with basic equipment and terminology?

As Piper said, it also depends very much on what you want to teach them.

IMO, the key thing is to avoid teaching any one persons biases or any one "style" (to include ultra lightweight) as the one and only correct way.

The issue with teaching just traditional, fairly heavyweight and "be safe through more gear" approach is how so many people sort of "anchor" on the first thing their told. ("Anchoring" is a psychological term you can look up on line ...). I've had and witnessed a number of arguments where the whole thrust of one persons position is "When I was first taught, I was told that ...". I.e., that somehow the first version of something presented to you is somehow inherently correct and not subject to challenge or modification.

Thus IMO it's a big responsibility teaching a beginner class at anything. Inevitably, as folks gain experience they learn nuances and modify or simply discard a lot of rules of thumb that are given as handy references to beginners --- and some beginners find they just can't let go of those initial training wheels.

As to the specifics to teach --- heck, just find multiple books that you respect on the topic and crib their list. Personally, I would ensure that I'm looking at some lightweight-focused books, such as Ryan Jordan's.

I would also include a section on how to assemble a good set of backpacking gear on the cheap, a set that needn't weigh a ton.

Best of luck with this!

Raul Perez
03-03-2011, 14:07
I have a hiking 101 on gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00QaUx156UY

perhaps this could help you?

Raul

couscous
03-03-2011, 14:17
I usually review the LNT Principles (http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php) and expand from there. Stress the importance of monitoring the weather (Chesapeak, VA (http://i.wund.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=iphone&query=Chesapeake,%20VA)). Review some of the info that can be gleaned from a topo map. Have examples of using the internet to gather information on trail conditions, water sources. Urge them not to completely rely on anything that takes batteries. Have some backpacks with 15#, 30#, 45# they can put on and walk up/down steps and see how it changes their center of balance. Review the rule of 3s - 3 minutes w/o air, 3 hours w/o shelter in hypothermic conditions, 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food. Suggest they practice using their gear at home before hitting the trail. Note that renting/borrowing gear may be an option.

ebandlam
03-03-2011, 14:24
As a relatively novice hiker, here is what I wish I had learned

I take a different view than the other folks who have responded thus far. I had read several books and discussion forums on how to pack light - which is what I did - or thought I did. Stupid me.. I was not prepared for the cold nights, not enough water, not enough food, and bad shoes.. Hindsight being 20/20, I wished I had carried more and then figured out for myself what to drop and what not to. What I am trying to say is teach them the carry the basics, but guide them to figure out for themselves what they can and cannot live without.

As much as the thought of a hiking a trail sounds romantic, it is not.. It is hard work. It is continuing along when your body says stop - especially for a beginner, but if you want to make it through the trip, you better keep moving. I would teach them to pace themselves - don't underestimate the trail or over-estimate your capabilities.

Take a series of small hikes - even day hikes before you tackle an overnight or multi-day hike.. Again this has to do with confidence (or over-confidence).. I am in relatively good health and thought I could do a multi-day hike without any problems.. Man, was I wrong.. my body was hurting several days after the hike - it sure hurt my ego

Go with an experienced hiker/friend who can show you the ropes - on the trail training... Two of my friends who had experience hiking showed me the ropes. I am grateful for them to saving my a**

After the hike write down, within a day or so, what you would do differently. This to me is the most valuable lesson. We make mistakes and learn from them..

Thanks

Mags
03-03-2011, 14:31
I used to lead a Beginners backpacking trip every year.

I'd have them read this doc:
http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer

A few days before, I'd look over their gear...

That weekend, we went backpacking. :)

Blissful
03-03-2011, 14:31
I'd get into some trail stories to get people motivated to go for it. Gear is fine but without motivation, the hike don't go nowhere. Pictures etc. I'd also share a little nitty-gritty too what its like out there and not glamorize it either. That it's tough sure, but the most rewarding adventure you can take just a short distance from home.

Bare Bear
03-03-2011, 16:55
I show them different types of packs, bed rolls, bags, stoves, filters, etc. and explain the good/bad of each. Then I have a display of MY WHAT WORKS FOR ME standard backpack gear and a photo (8x10's) exhibit of my favorite twelve photos. Then I answer questions for an hour and refer them to Trailjournals and Whiteblaze for more info. Lastly I invite them to go out for a hike in-hike out overnight to a primitve site.

fiddlehead
03-03-2011, 17:42
Always put everything back into your pack in the place where it belongs.
You should be able to find anything, within seconds in the pitch dark with no light.
Takes being on the trail a while but then comes instinctively.

beakerman
03-03-2011, 17:54
There is no right way to back pack! I would not bring my personal gear in to show them..unless you have three different instructors with three completely different setups...if all of you are UL fanatics then you will produce a new crop of UL fanatics that are busy trimming straps and filing zipper pulls down to a nub rather than a group of people that are willing to go out and enjoy the outdoors at their pace and comfort level.

I would focus on not so much a minimalist/ultra light weight approach but more of a mid weight approach.

By that I mean: carry gear so you are comfortably prepared for things. For example the F/A kit should have more than 2 bandaids and a patch of moleskin but does not need to be a full blown field surgery kit with sutures and such. Most folks understand an ace bandage or roll of tape can be used to hold a bandage offer an unfortunate cut or burn but can also be used to help splint a twisted ankle so you can get off the mountain a little esier. No amount of moleskin and bandaids are going to do that.

I would present them not with what you think is a good shelter but the options with honest pros and con. for example a regular backpacking tent: a pro would be complete enclosure but a con would be condensation or the possibly the weight, tarp tents are lighter but typically open on teh bottom, hammocks can be even lighter but you need stuff to tie off on and soem folks don't like sleeping in one. Those are all non judgemental statemenst that even here on WB can't be disagreed with. Every basic class of gear including the shelter, sleeping bag, stove and pack all have options..there are a few basic options and there are the pros an cons of each...that is the tact I would take.

They need to think about it and try what they are going to be comfortable with. Explain that to them, they should not buy gear and expect that it will be the last thing they ever buy for backpacking. As they get more experienced they may find they are ok with a floorless tarp tent to shave a half a pound or whatever...or they may not but they know they have the option.

outside all that gearhead stuff I would focus on techniques/skills like LNT, how to pack, how to be wear a pack, pack fit, site selection, planning and some cooking.

Above all don't instill them with the attitude that their way is the "right" way. Its only right for them!

Mags
03-03-2011, 18:02
My main concern is getting the people out there... touch on the gear BASICS..but that's it.

For me, I always did a 5 mile hike to a beautiful campsite. Made a fire and brought in some wine.

I wanted people to develop of a love of backpacking. Making gear the emphasis is a great way to kill the love of hiking..or to make sure you have only Enginerds on your hike! :D

TheChop
03-03-2011, 18:03
Backpacking is the art of making do. The outdoors are great but there are far easier ways to enjoy them than to strap on 30 pounds and go a week without a shower. This doesn't mean an UL approach but it means you will either make do with carrying 8 ounces or you will make do without a Kindle. You will either make do with a tent that weighs 4 lbs and is free standing and double walled or you will make do with a tent that is 2lbs and has condensation.

Beyond that philosophical bull**** I would say know what absolutely has to be kept dry and know how to keep it that way.

sbhikes
03-03-2011, 19:23

I like that approach. Focus on the backpacking and not on the talking. :)

I've had interest in doing something like this off-and-on. What usually turns me off is that I don't want to be held responsible if someone gets hurt. What did you do about that issue?

Mags
03-03-2011, 21:27
I like that approach. Focus on the backpacking and not on the talking. :)

Yep. I wanted to make sure people had good, basic gear (no blue jeans, not carrying ginormous packs, made sure the packs fit OK) and kept the emphasis on the enjoyment. A quick overview I found is all people really need. I purposely did not tell them about lightweight vs. heavy weight, or drone on tarps vs tents. As I've said before: Gear is the least important part of backpacking.

A short hike of only five miles is quite the accomplishment for someone who has never backpacked (oi even camped) before.

Add in some good company, a beautiful hike to a gorgeous place, a nice fire (I must admit, I do love a campfire when I can can. So do many other people it seems) and I tend to haul in a box o' wine. We do the talking then!

The people enjoy the hike. They are not overwhelmed with details. As Lone Wolf says "It's just walking". :) Why make it more complicated?

The advantage of an organized beginners trip is that many people do not want to plunge into something they have not done before. An organized trip with someone who is comfortable, knowledgeable and patient can be a good way to experience something that they normally would not try on their own. (Of course, they get stuck with me...so there goes that theory! ;) )

I am proud to say one woman on one of my trips (who never camped before!) ended up doing solo trips and even did the JMT!!!!!! Ain't that cool?

I've had interest in doing something like this off-and-on. What usually turns me off is that I don't want to be held responsible if someone gets hurt. What did you do about that issue?

Good point.

The outdoor group I used to be active with (mainly single people in their 20s and early 30s. Like most of my friends, I am now at a different stage. So it goes!), was loosely organized. Technically, we were not a group (no membership dues, no central organization, no real leaders...just people who organize) but a group of friends who happen to communicate via a website. Similar to the various Meet Up groups or say people getting together for a hike from WhiteBlaze.

I guess anyone can sue me (take my truck with 112000 miles on it ???? :) ), but not being an official group, less of a leg to stand on. You give full consent to whatever happens. But, I am not a lawyer, so take that for what it is worth!

Tipi Walter
03-03-2011, 21:32
I would tell them to get a bag and a sleeping pad and start sleeping outside every night in the yard or on the deck. It takes a while to get used to sleeping on a Thermarest/Ridgerest/Ensolite/Evazote whatever.

Papa D
03-03-2011, 21:34
In addition to what all these good people have said, please teach some forest ethics and respectful practices like:

general leave no trace principals - more than just packing it out

respect and protection for the forest, watercourses, and woodlands

that noise pollution is offensive too - keeping quiet - no cell phone chatter on the trail, music and bright laptops in the shelter

have fun.

Papa D
03-03-2011, 21:36
Tipi Walter sleeps in his backyard every night - it's called the Joyce Kilmer / Citico Creek Wilderness - what a life.

Audiorob
03-03-2011, 21:45
Proper Planning: Create a Checklist for them, teach them to research the route and then teach them how to put together a backpacking kit that suits the information that is put together for that trip.

Start with a Checklist:

When & Where
Temperatures: historic Highs and lows and current forecast.
Terrain
Water Availability
Bugs
Avalanche Risk
Planned Mileage
Navigation

From these and several more you can determine what gear is need for the trip. Then teach them the differences in gear. Tarps, Tents, how pack weight can effect safety. But most importantly, how to use their brains, and common sense.

Other things that are important are: First aid, Fire safety, and Leave No Trace principles.

Papa D
03-03-2011, 21:49
Audiorob has the most complete and thought out post in this thread yet - very nice and compact.

I would place a heavy emphasis on LNT though - newbies tend to really mess stuff up - they all carry boxes of these wet wipes and leave them all over the place, use soap in the creeks, make a bunch of fires, noise, all kinds of stupid crap.

10-K
03-03-2011, 22:34
Always put everything back into your pack in the place where it belongs.
You should be able to find anything, within seconds in the pitch dark with no light.
Takes being on the trail a while but then comes instinctively.

Amen...

And the good thing is that the habit of keeping things organized will spread to the rest of your life - at least it did mine.

FritztheCat
03-03-2011, 23:25
You're getting some EXCELLENT advice here! I sort of wish I'd be around to help you teach this. :D

sbhikes
03-04-2011, 00:12
Amen...

And the good thing is that the habit of keeping things organized will spread to the rest of your life - at least it did mine.

Speak for yourself. I was disorganized before my hike, very organized and tidy during my hike, and a complete disaster now.

Pony
03-04-2011, 01:28
I'd get into some trail stories to get people motivated to go for it. Gear is fine but without motivation, the hike don't go nowhere. Pictures etc. I'd also share a little nitty-gritty too what its like out there and not glamorize it either. That it's tough sure, but the most rewarding adventure you can take just a short distance from home.

For once I agree with almost everything on a whiteblaze thread. I believe that Blissful has hit on something especially important though. If you don't enjoy being outdoors, there is no piece of gear that will make you like it more. Let them know how not fun it can be, but then tell them how great it can be. Talk about gear later when they have a better picture of what it's really like.

And of course. Talk to them about how to be responsible in the back country.

Tipi Walter
03-04-2011, 08:56
If you don't enjoy being outdoors, there is no piece of gear that will make you like it more. Let them know how not fun it can be, but then tell them how great it can be. Talk about gear later when they have a better picture of what it's really like.

I'm not sure it's possible to teach Willingness and Heart to a group of beginning backpackers and outdoorsmen. I would assume that the participants enjoy being outdoors, but I could be wrong and this assumption has gotten me sobered and disappointed over the years. You can lead a horse to water, etc etc.

Commitment to purpose and a dedication to bag nights, sleeping out and backpacking always over-rides Gear Owned or Techniques Acquired, it's just not so easy finding those individuals who understand how great it can be. Like in all other things, there's a great majority that are one-time only and out, or the dabblers who go out once a year, or the collectors who have fancy gear all laid about in a room but never go out, or the usual majority that feels a house mortgage, offspring and family and a full time job to be more important than getting outside for their bag nights.

And then there's the ones who won't go out in the summer because of the rattlesnakes, or those who won't go out in the winter because of the cold. I know, tread lightly here, HYOH and all, etc, but part of Backpacking 101 is evaluating a person's potential and commitment to the outdoor life without having to resort to arm wrestling or having to listen to Whining, the bane of the backpacking Guide.

There's Willingness and Heart, and then there's Whining---and usually the whiners win out.

JAK
03-04-2011, 10:57
No thyself.

When first driving, you need to be told that your first accident is a matter of when, not if, and it is important to be extra cautious so that the first accident is less likely to be fatal or serious.

Similarly, when new to hiking and backpacking, regardless of how much reading and preparation we may have done, we need to be prepared to make mistakes, and realize that our minds play tricks on us. We need to be prepared to discover that we were unprepared, and incorrect. Its a learned skill.

Also, it is important to learn that the natural world is not designed to be safe, in the way our 'built-up' world is, for the most part. It is not designed for humans. Don't assume it to be safe. Even on well established and well travelled trails, harsh reality is only one wrong turn and a few mistakes away.

JAK
03-04-2011, 10:58
Oops. Rather, 'know' thyself.

sbhikes
03-04-2011, 11:10
Also, it is important to learn that the natural world is not designed to be safe, in the way our 'built-up' world is, for the most part. It is not designed for humans. Don't assume it to be safe. Even on well established and well travelled trails, harsh reality is only one wrong turn and a few mistakes away.

At the same time the exact opposite is true. We are taught that the built-up world is safe when in reality it is not. Our built-up world kills hundreds of thousands of people every day. It is not designed for humans although it appears that it is. It is designed for commerce, which is not always in sync with what humans need to be healthy or sane.

The natural world is the source of all life. There may be dangers, but it is our true home and it gives life to us even when we are not out in it. Believing we are somehow separate from the natural world and capable of eliminating it and continuing to live safe, happy lives is an illusion.

This is something I learned in a visceral way on my long distance hikes. It's always my hope when I lead my little day hikes that others will head down a path toward understanding this, too.

Jim Adams
03-04-2011, 11:18
advise them to take a first aid course....first aid knowledge and common sense will knock alot of weight out of a pack by eliminating percieved "needed" items.

geek

fredmugs
03-04-2011, 11:57
I'm sure any 101 type class is going to be chock full of inside the box garbage such as:

You have to wear boots, sock liners, hiking socks, etc. I quit getting blisters after I gave all that crap up. Wide width trail runners and cheap gray socks for me.

The only way to prepare for hiking is by hiking. 100% Horse*****. Biggest lie told on WB.

They should teach how to load out your pack and where to place items so that you can transfer the weight to your hips instead of your back.

Biggest ignorant rookie mistake I made was not bringing camp shoes. Remember I had boots and didn't bring anything else. That sucked.

Different ways to treat water. I don't trust myself to use bleach or anything like that.

JAK
03-04-2011, 12:28
At the same time the exact opposite is true. We are taught that the built-up world is safe when in reality it is not. Our built-up world kills hundreds of thousands of people every day. It is not designed for humans although it appears that it is. It is designed for commerce, which is not always in sync with what humans need to be healthy or sane.

The natural world is the source of all life. There may be dangers, but it is our true home and it gives life to us even when we are not out in it. Believing we are somehow separate from the natural world and capable of eliminating it and continuing to live safe, happy lives is an illusion.

This is something I learned in a visceral way on my long distance hikes. It's always my hope when I lead my little day hikes that others will head down a path toward understanding this, too.Very true. It is easy to adapt and become accustomed to an un-natural and un-healthy and un-sustainable environment, even when it is extremely violent and life threatening. We need to choose out environment more carefully, and give ourselves time to adapt to it, and always question the wisdom of our choices, and how we define 'right', 'normal', and 'natural'.

Berserker
03-04-2011, 13:07
One thing I would stress is how to properly use the bathroom...and I'm referring to #2 here. I don't want to debate the whole whether or not to bury it, what to use if burying it etc. Just stress that they do their business either in a privy or way off in the woods cause I'm sick of stepping in or having to deal with other people's dookie :eek: that's been placed in less than ideal locations (i.e. next to shelters, in the middle of nice tent sites, etc.). Oh yeah, and also tell them to either bury their TP or pack it out.

ShoelessWanderer
03-07-2011, 19:59
We have a similar course in my area. I won't attend or teach because they focus too much on carrying tons of "safety" gear. I don't want to backpack carrying a ton of weight for all the what-if scenarios and I don't want to teach others to hike that way. So, if you can, teach some lightweight backpacking techniques so that people can opt to reduce some excess weight in exchange for knowledge (such as proper campsite selection, multiple use, etc.) that would be a good thing in my opinion.

We don't focus a ton of "safety gear". We cover the basics and we cover what to do in an emergency. But, we also focus on the fun of backpacking! (I mean, ins't that the point?) And we do throw out light weigh techniques, even if it's not something any of the instructors do, we have the knowledge enough to explain it and the advantages & disadvantages to it, without being bias.

First question is what you're assuming about attendees. That they've never slept outdoors (or at least some haven't)? That they have or have not ever day hiked? That they are or are not familiar at least with basic equipment and terminology?

Thus IMO it's a big responsibility teaching a beginner class at anything. Inevitably, as folks gain experience they learn nuances and modify or simply discard a lot of rules of thumb that are given as handy references to beginners --- and some beginners find they just can't let go of those initial training wheels.

Sadly, with the way it's structured we have no way of knowing peoples backgrounds a head of time. However, the class is advertised for those who have no backpacking experiencing, so...they are really beginners and we start with the super basics.

We are lucky enough that we have taught it a few times, so we've learned form the past. We started with just me instructing, moved up to having 2 of us the last few times, and this time we're tackling it with 4. Whats really cool this time is that we are creating a booklet of the topics we teach so they can make notes and take it with them as a quick reference guide for in the future.

Thank you! Will definatly take advantage of that. The way we have it arranged we do an all day class one weekend. A gear shakedown on a week night and then a few weeks later we take them on their first trip...that I'm making them plan.

I show them different types of packs, bed rolls, bags, stoves, filters, etc. and explain the good/bad of each. Then I have a display of MY WHAT WORKS FOR ME standard backpack gear and a photo (8x10's) exhibit of my favorite twelve photos. Then I answer questions for an hour and refer them to Trailjournals and Whiteblaze for more info. Lastly I invite them to go out for a hike in-hike out overnight to a primitve site.

Yeah, with 4 of us, we have fun debating the pros and cons of stuff. Lots of fun educated opinions so they get to see the good and bad of everything.

There is no right way to back pack! I would not bring my personal gear in to show them..unless you have three different instructors with three completely different setups

I would present them not with what you think is a good shelter but the options with honest pros and con. for example a regular backpacking tent: a pro would be complete enclosure but a con would be condensation or the possibly the weight, tarp tents are lighter but typically open on teh bottom, hammocks can be even lighter but you need stuff to tie off on and soem folks don't like sleeping in one. Those are all non judgemental statemenst that even here on WB can't be disagreed with. Every basic class of gear including the shelter, sleeping bag, stove and pack all have options..there are a few basic options and there are the pros an cons of each...that is the tact I would take.

Above all don't instill them with the attitude that their way is the "right" way. Its only right for them!

That's actually one of the main things we try to stress, is that there is no right or wrong way. With 4 of us teaching, we have examples of pretty much all kinds of gear. And all 4 of us go about our gear in totally different ways...i like to think it helps give them a well-rounded view.

My main concern is getting the people out there... touch on the gear BASICS..but that's it.

For me, I always did a 5 mile hike to a beautiful campsite. Made a fire and brought in some wine.

I wanted people to develop of a love of backpacking. Making gear the emphasis is a great way to kill the love of hiking..or to make sure you have only Enginerds on your hike! :D

Exactly!! :banana We want them to know enough to have fun, but make it easy enough that they're not stressed out. And yes, wine is a must! lol. My first crew of backpacking 101ers were all females...they were very happy to learn how to chill their drinks in the creek...overheard one of them teaching someone else on a hike not to long ago. I was so proud. :D

In addition to what all these good people have said, please teach some forest ethics and respectful practices like:

general leave no trace principals - more than just packing it out

respect and protection for the forest, watercourses, and woodlands

that noise pollution is offensive too - keeping quiet - no cell phone chatter on the trail, music and bright laptops in the shelter

have fun.

Absolutly! I'm the outings chair for the Sierra Club, so this is definatly a must!

You're getting some EXCELLENT advice here! I sort of wish I'd be around to help you teach this. :D

We are SO going to miss you!! And yes, we are getting some great advice!

advise them to take a first aid course....first aid knowledge and common sense will knock alot of weight out of a pack by eliminating percieved "needed" items.

geek

We're very lucky, one of our instructers is also a First Aid/Cpr instructor along with Wilderness first aid, so we'll be incorporating that into it as well.

I'm sure any 101 type class is going to be chock full of inside the box garbage such as:

You have to wear boots, sock liners, hiking socks, etc. I quit getting blisters after I gave all that crap up. Wide width trail runners and cheap gray socks for me.

I hike in Tevas. don't worry...not just preaching boots ;)

Thank you all for the great tips! Has been a pleasure reading them all.

amac
03-08-2011, 07:29
Treat your gear gently. Most packs these days are made lightweight, and therefore aren't military grade. I've seen folks come to a stop for a break, swing their pack off their back and let fly onto the ground. I suggest you teach care of the pack and other gear.

vamelungeon
03-08-2011, 09:16
Have 'em read "The Complete Walker IV"

10-K
03-08-2011, 10:28
I would tell them to get a bag and a sleeping pad and start sleeping outside every night in the yard or on the deck. It takes a while to get used to sleeping on a Thermarest/Ridgerest/Ensolite/Evazote whatever.

I'm surprised you didn't want them to tie a hoop of cheese around their neck and walk up stairs all day! :)

rpenczek
03-08-2011, 10:55
First, a good resource, even for an experienced backpacker, is the Merit Badge booklet on Backpacking from the BSA. Yes, it will suggest safety more than you might like and will suggest gear that is heavier than you might like, but, the concepts are sound and you can use this as a guide to teach total newbees (afterall its aimed at boys 11 to 17).

When I first introduced backpacking to my Boy Scout Troop, I kept a journal of activities (not just the actual trips). I still go back to that journal from time to time to be reminded of my (maybe not your) dos and don'ts with new backpackers.

Some of the key messages to myself in that journal are as follows:

Food can make a hard/bad day much better. On initial trips, I like to end up near a car (yes it is cheating) so I can get access to a cooler with nice cold fruit like grapes or tangarines and maybe even a rootbeer (makes for big smiles), I look at it like trail magic for the newbee.

Hike to a cool place. Of course, I am dealing with boys, but even adults like to camp near a lake or cool stream. While we all belive its the journey and not the destination, some times the destination helps a new hiker get through the hike.

Food can make a hard/bad day much better. Yes, I am saying this again (it shows up in my journal a buch of times). Teaching them how to prepare food they like can keep them happy.

Initial trips must be short. Even with very fit boys, the inital trips (as opposed to activiteis) should be short (5 miles per day or less).

Make them drink water (start our full of water, camel up), be active in your supervision of this activity for the first few trips.

Do a peridoc foot check (once or twice a day) on the first few trips. Folks who don't hike, don't know how fast a blister can come up, checking feet and keep a great experience from going really bad.

Pack weight does matter (unless all your new BPs are 18-25 year olds (or no-it-all dads), they are not too bright and still have something to prove LOL).

Before the trips, do at least one gear shake down and take a walk (1 to 2 miles) in town with your pack and gear, see how it works.

Cook a meal on the backpacking stoves on your gear shake down day, see how that goes.

10 essentials and LNT, nuff said.

ShoelessWanderer
03-12-2011, 09:05
Pack weight does matter (unless all your new BPs are 18-25 year olds (or no-it-all dads), they are not too bright and still have something to prove LOL).

Ahh I've had a few sexist guys think they know more than me...those I let carry their 75 pound packs. Be a jerk, suffer the consequences.