PDA

View Full Version : What shirt do you hike in?

Wuff
03-03-2011, 15:31
I'm struggling to decide what kind of shirt to hike in for my thru. I'm starting in Georgia the first week of April. I have convertible pants, probably just wearing the shorts - but not sure if my arms are going to get too cold in short sleeves. I'm thinking a lightweight pullover long sleeve? Thoughts? Obviously when it heats up I'll just be in a synthetic t...

I thought about using my Cap 2 baselayer pullover, but I was hoping to just use that after hiking in camp to stay warm. And not sweaty. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Helios
03-03-2011, 15:35
I use the REI Sahara shirt year round. It breaths well when it's hot, yet helps keep me warm when it's cool. It's easy to roll the sleeves up/down, dries quick, and doesn't weigh much if I toss it in my pack.

Rick500
03-03-2011, 15:39
I like Mountain Hardwear Wicked polos. You can find them on eBay regularly for $16-$17 shipped.

Pedaling Fool
03-03-2011, 15:44
I just hike in short sleeve cotton t-shirts. It usually warms up pretty good during the day, plus you're hiking so no need for a long sleeve for hiking. If it is windy and cold you're gonna want to put on a windbreaker anyway, regardless if you're wearing a long or short sleeve shirt. For night time I usually wear some type of long sleeve longjohn-type shirt that is only for night use, not hiking in.

bigcranky
03-03-2011, 15:49
Short sleeve wool t-shirt, Icebreak 150-wt. If it's chilly I put on a single layer ultralight wind shirt. Very useful.

sbhikes
03-03-2011, 16:23
I used a Rail Riders shirt similar to the ecomesh shirtbut one more traditionally styled like a button-down shirt. The reason I like a long-sleeved shirt is you can roll up the sleeves and make a short-sleeved shirt if you want, and roll them down to make a long-sleeved shirt. I was able to wear this shirt in a range of temperatures spanning from the high 40s to the low 100s without adding or subtracting any other clothing. I also find the big pockets handy.

marcet
03-03-2011, 16:23
I started out in a wool s/s T-shirt but eventually switched to synthetic because I felt it dried much quicker. Sure, wool is better with the stink factor, but on the AT you can do laundry every 3-4 days or so.

ChrisFol
03-03-2011, 16:44
When I hike I just wear a Capilene 1 or 2 long sleeved baselayer. If I need additional warmth then I will just throw on my Marmot windshirt.

I find it difficult to hike in anything more than this because I often over-heat.

The other option is bring two tops-- one short sleeved and one long sleeved and wear them together if you need sleeves.

johnnyblisters
03-03-2011, 18:08
Outdoor Research wool blend t-shirts. Feels like really light cotton , amazing shirts, hands down my favorite.

Rocket Jones
03-03-2011, 21:31
Took some time, but I finally found some long sleeve poly shirts at Walmart that weren't the body-hugging style. On sale for around $10.

dgposey
03-03-2011, 21:39
Drop into your local big-box retailer (ie Walmart, Target) and buy a synthetic t-shirt in the athletic clothing section. No need to drop the big bucks at REI to get the same thing with a different logo on it.

GoldenBear
03-03-2011, 21:40
A long sleeve 100% linen shirt, with multiple pockets, I got at a thrift store for about $6.

Cool in the summer, warm in the winter, incredibly comfortable.

The HUGE problem with linen that it wrinkles far worse than any other fabric. But, on the trail, I don't much care.

David S.
03-04-2011, 00:44
I've got a synthetic t-shirt that I really like. I've also come to really like my arm warmers for when its cooler but not cold enough for a jacket. I use them for cycling and running and have found that they make sense for backpacking as well. They are wind resistant and warm and I find they are often easier to regulate my body temp when its cold do to the ease with which they can be adjusted up or down on my arms or simply taken off completely.

ChrisFol
03-04-2011, 00:59
Or....

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Sleeves.htm

STICK
03-04-2011, 01:43
While hiking during the colder months I like to use my Cap 2 long sleeve with my R1 layered over it. During the warmer months, last year I wore an OR short-sleeve Dune shirt but this year I am getting an Ex Officio Air Strip Light long sleeve shirt (in white) and give that a go. Heard nothing but good things about them, and there isn't much else at REI that I need but I gotta spend that dividend... :)

Tinker
03-04-2011, 07:53
In cool weather I use a polyester or wool long sleeved zip neck shirt (ventilation is key once you or the weather warm up). Over that I might layer a fleece vest or light fleece jacket, and if it's windy I like to wear a Marmot Ion hooded full zip wind breaker.
You'll appreciate the adjustability that full zip layers add on days when the temperature fluctuates wildly (often due to to elevation gain/loss or cloud cover).
If you use an insulation layer with a built in wind layer you will lose some of the versatility of the system.

JAK
03-04-2011, 09:15
I like to hike in a loose fitting wool sweater, and shorts. Weight of sweater depends on the season. A skin layer will go underneath when needed, but I prefer to hike in the loose layer. Not sure what I would do in hotter climates. Defer to others on that.

Wuff
03-04-2011, 12:29
Thanks for the suggestions. I liked the loose fitting wool sweater idea until I weighed the thing - over 1 1/2 pounds. I think I'll go to Target and see what I can find for cheap, last resort drop by REI.

ChrisFol
03-04-2011, 14:00
Thanks for the suggestions. I liked the loose fitting wool sweater idea until I weighed the thing - over 1 1/2 pounds. I think I'll go to Target and see what I can find for cheap, last resort drop by REI.

Target is great-- they have Champion brand synthetic shirts for around $15. Goodwill, Arc and other charity stores are also great places to look-- synthetic shirts are in abundance and all under $7 or so.

ChrisFol
03-04-2011, 14:01
If you have an Army Surplus store then I am sure you could also find some Columbia or similar synthetic shirts there to for not very much $$.

TheYoungOne
03-04-2011, 15:16
Drop into your local big-box retailer (ie Walmart, Target) and buy a synthetic t-shirt in the athletic clothing section. No need to drop the big bucks at REI to get the same thing with a different logo on it.

Target is great-- they have Champion brand synthetic shirts for around $15. Goodwill, Arc and other charity stores are also great places to look-- synthetic shirts are in abundance and all under $7 or so.

Seriously Target Champion Poly shirts, and Walmart Starter poly shirts are just fine. Most of the long sleve stuff is on clearence right now

Wuff
03-07-2011, 12:40
To wrap up the thread, I bought a Target Champion shirt. Long sleeve, half zip for temperature regulation. Clearance!

My appreciation for the help I've received from this forum keeps expanding, even for something as boring as hiking shirts, its appreciated folks. Cheers,

Jeff

lunatic
03-08-2011, 23:08
I hiked the entire trail in a Cap 1 long sleeved shirt - except for a few days when I wore a short sleeved Cap 1 - I like having my arms covered because of some weird reason that probably stems from an odd experience when I was younger. :) Added an additional layer when necessary.

Wise Old Owl
03-08-2011, 23:10
You are overthinkin it. do what you want, capalene bright white with sleves was very handy when in Maine. - screws the mosquitos.

fredmugs
03-09-2011, 13:39
I like any shirt I can pay $5 or less for and won't shread a tear if I have to throw it in the trash if need be. I keep old crappy shirts for hiking and subsequent disposal.

TheYoungOne
03-09-2011, 15:25
Kind of a side question for some. Are those button down nylon hiking shirts any good? I wear dress shirts for work, so I kind of avoided them because they remind me of work, and they are kind of expensive. Are they handy to have, and better to regulate different temps or are you better of with baselayer tops or poly T-shirts

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2011, 23:42
TYO you can find cheap nice nylon in the mens dept at Walmart, they make great hiking shirts that are disposable..

Undershaft
03-10-2011, 08:08

I went to Target a couple days ago and got a Columbia synthetic shirt on sale for $7. The color is ugly (lime green), but the price is right. I also have a synthetic golf shirt made by Bimini Bay that I've been hiking in for years. I usually generate enough heat when I'm hiking to keep me warm with just a short sleeve shirt. When it's really windy or wet I throw on another layer like a fleece pullover or rain jacket. Unfortunately I've not come across a good synthetic long sleeve shirt in my price range. A good button down long sleeve would be more versatile on the trail.

NO_Turtle
03-10-2011, 16:53
I'll second the rail riders eco mesh long sleeve shirt in the cool weather or the hot sun. It is very thin and will keep the sun off of you, but has mesh lining along the sides to allow air in easily. It also drys very quickly.

A cotton shirt is good to but you should expect it to dry slowly if ever on cool/cold nights, and it will never protect you from the sun on those 8-12 hour sunny days.

QiWiz
03-10-2011, 21:47
Favorite is Railriders EcoMesh longsleeve shirt. Very well ventilated and very quick to dry.

Lone Wolf
03-10-2011, 21:49
cotton Drive-By-Truckers t-shirt

Sergemaster
03-11-2011, 17:12
In the summer I use an REI long sleeve jersey type that not only offers protection against ticks and other parasites, but also wicking action. In the fall I use an EMS insulated wicking long sleeve base layer followed up by an insulated flannel type shirt also friom EMS as a top layer.

Cheers,
Serge

fehchet
03-11-2011, 17:40
Every time I see this thread, I first read, "What kind of skirt...." My bad. I have a 1 wool and 1 silk T-shirt and 1 wool long sleeve. My skirt is a wool Ibex.

darkage
03-11-2011, 17:50
Have a few IB that are beast, And i love my UA wylie's and i have a few Target brand C9 that i let other's borrow that come with me ...

Some feel great, some don't ... you get what you pay for.