PDA

View Full Version : Trail magic/How many thrus in GA now?

SKIDMARK
03-03-2011, 17:25
Hey, everybody! I'm suffering from a hardy case of Springer Fever right now, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I hope all the 2011ers are excited about their start--they certainly should be!

I'm hoping to get up to the trail (probably Hogpen Gap, 37 mi from Springer) for some trail magic this weekend. I'm not planning anything big this time (that'll be later this spring), but I'm trying to get an idea how many thrus I might see this weekend. It's fairly early, but I'm sure the recent stretch of beautiful weather has some people pounding the dirt.

Anybody have a good feel for the numbers out there this week?

royalusa
03-03-2011, 18:38
Saw nearly 20 hikers today on the 6 mile stretch south from Neels Gap.

ClassY
03-03-2011, 19:21
Wait til next weekend!! :p
As I may be there. I start on the 10th and would be a good pace to put me there at that time.
jk though. Im sure there will be plenty of people.

Thanks in advance and on behalf of all those who are already on the trail! :)

~ClassY

Larry Dean
03-03-2011, 21:17
We passed 8 thru hikers between Unicoi and Neals Gap last weekend. Turtle and Mellow Yellow provided sodas and snacks at Unicoi last weekend and it appeared very little was taken when we passed early on Saturday morning.

dgposey
03-03-2011, 21:45
I hiked from Springer to Amicalola Falls on March 1 and saw a number of backpackers. I didn't stop to talk to all of them, but I'm guessing most of them were thru-hikers. Maybe about 20 of them (and that's just the ones I saw).

tigerpaw
03-03-2011, 22:11
Springer to Woody Gap last weekend. Only thru-hiker we saw was finishing a SOBO which he started last summer. He has been at a while...