PDA

View Full Version : Boot Trouble

Amanita
03-03-2011, 17:53
I have a pair of hiking boots that I haven't worn in years. I recently started wearing them around campus with the intent to break them back in again, but I've encountered a problem. I'm experiencing blisters at the top back of the boot where they rub against my lower calf. I don't recall ever having this problem when I first got the boots, despite wearing them for many day and a few overnight hikes. However, my best guess is that it's been 5 years since I last went hiking in them, and they've been in various storage locations since then (basement, garage, clothset, ect).

What can I do to alleviate these blisters? Lace them tighter? Looser? Thicker socks? Thinner socks?

Could that time in storage have damaged the boots? Will they get re-broken in?

I'm getting blisters after 4 hours wearing them, most of that time just sitting in class. Should I try and tough it out? Or start looking at a new pair?

Thank you for any advice.

HoorayCookies
03-03-2011, 18:23
Can't answer the question directly (about the calf blisters) but I can say that the materials in the sole of the shoe degrade after 6 months to a year, resulting in decreased shock absorption and possibly unseen foot problems. I'd recommend a new pair, although I'm sure there are many people:) who have encountered no problems with older boots/sneakers/etc. If nothing else, replace the inserts.

Many Walks
03-03-2011, 19:43
It's hard to say without knowing the type of boot. I'm taking a guess they are leather and might have simply dried out over time in storage. If that is the case you might soften them up with mink oil and work the area where they rub to give them more flexibility.

Deadeye
03-03-2011, 21:08
Tough it out? How tough are you?! Great way to ruin a trip. If you insist on boots, get new ones that fit, otherwise running shoes will work fine and you'll miss out on all that break-in pain and may never see another blister. YMMV.

Komuso
03-03-2011, 21:33
I believe that unless you have significant ankle problems, and/or you plan on carrying more than about 35 lbs. or so in your pack for any very lengthy period, then go with Deadeye's suggestion and rock some trail runners (or low-top, light-weight hiking shoes). Mostly, "ankle support" actually comes from having a proper heel cup and arch fit, and a pair of decent orthotic inserts from a pharmacy or gear shop in your area is the best way I know of to achieve this. Also, a pound of weight saved on your feet will add up to literally thousands of pounds of exertion from your knees over distance. I think that you will never happily wear boots again, once you find the right sturdy, lightweight hiking shoe. If budget is an issue (always is for me!), then try Sierra Trading Post online for great deals on hiking footwear.
But if you must stick with the boots, treat them with a leather softening/conditioning agent, and try wearing an expedition weight wool or synthetic hiking sock over a lightweight sock liner, and lace them snugly, but not so tight as to be uncomfortable or to restrict all movement and circulation within the ankle and foot. Good luck!

Blissful
03-04-2011, 00:34
Get rid of them and get some trail runners. :) :)

Amanita
03-04-2011, 02:08
While there is leather on the boots, they are in not the "old school" all leather boots. The part i'm experiencing friction with is entirely synthetic, and will not benefit from oil.

As far as trail runners... I am definitely concerned about my ankles. My pack weight isn't stellar, base weight currently 27 pounds w/o food and water. Gonna scrape hard to pull it under 25 before I head out, but until I do some sections/shakedowns I doubt it will go below that. Also a concern, how far overweight would one be before worry about ankle trouble? 20 pounds? 40?

What I'm ashamed to admit is that I haven't been hiking for the same length of time as the boots, about 5 years. I walk a fair amount, but walking and hiking are not the same on ankles, and I'm worried about taking and injury before my joints and muscles get back into shape. I've also been indoctrinated with the "boots protect you" ideology, so maybe I'm just having a hard time letting go.

Thank you all for your help.

Trailweaver
03-04-2011, 04:18
Do your socks cover the area where you are getting the blister? I keep my socks above the top of my boots and don't have a problem with getting rubbed - just a thought.

leaftye
03-04-2011, 05:32
Also a concern, how far overweight would one be before worry about ankle trouble? 20 pounds? 40?

What I'm ashamed to admit is that I haven't been hiking for the same length of time as the boots, about 5 years. I walk a fair amount, but walking and hiking are not the same on ankles, and I'm worried about taking and injury before my joints and muscles get back into shape. I've also been indoctrinated with the "boots protect you" ideology, so maybe I'm just having a hard time letting go.

I don't see how there can be a fixed number, or even a formula. It really comes down to how strong your ankles are. Fortunately you can strengthen them even when you're not walking and hiking, and without spending a dime. All you have to do is balance on one foot, preferably barefoot on a hard floor, for as long as possible, and then do it back-to-back. Eating or watching tv at home? Do it on one foot. I think you'd be surprised at how much improvement you can get by doing this simple exercise.

fredmugs
03-04-2011, 12:03
Get rid of them and get some trail runners. :) :)

That's what I'm talking about!

Seriously - when I was younger I wore a 10.5 shoe. Now I wear a 12. If it's been 5 years you may have gotten bigger, thicker, fatter, etc.

Tenderheart
03-04-2011, 15:55
Do your socks cover the area where you are getting the blister? I keep my socks above the top of my boots and don't have a problem with getting rubbed - just a thought.

This solution will never work, simply because it's too simple. You're not throwing enough money at the problem.

litefoot 2000

Amanita
03-04-2011, 17:39

Yes, my socks are well above the top of the boot.

Deadeye
03-04-2011, 18:24
C'mon, does any of this matter? If the boots give you blisters after sitting in class for 4 hours, they don't fit, and nothing's going to help. Doesn't matter if the boot changed, your foot changed, your socks changed... you're not going very far in these boots. Get something - anything - that fits.

Deadeye
03-04-2011, 18:31
I've also been indoctrinated with the "boots protect you" ideology.

Brings to mind some comments I've received from hikers who feel the need to give me their opinions on my footwear. They often tell me I'll sprain an ankle in my trail runners. As proof, they'll tell me how often they injure their own ankles.... while wearing boots. Funny, I've never hurt my ankles in boots or shoes. No difference.

IMHO, any boot that's stiff enough to actually protect your ankle will prevent it from moving, like a ski boot, and therefor prevent you from walking.

I will admit, when wearing boots it doesn't hurt as much when I kick myself.

Outdoor76
03-07-2011, 14:13
I'm going to play devil's advocate and throw in a warning for the "trail runner" suggestion. We do LOTS of fitting here - hours are spent interviewing hikers feet and there are many people who have feet that do not belong in a trail runner for LD hiking. Just had a hiker in here today with severe over pronation and an arch that collapsed nearly 2 sizes. He does NOT need to be in a trail runner. For lots of people, a trail runner is a trail runner - not considering how neutral or posted a shoe is or what it does for supporting their feet. Don't get me wrong, trail runners are great for a lot of people - they're light, they allow for a longer stride (faster) and with a strong foot, they're very efficient.
So my point is that just going out and suggesting trail runners to anyone with foot issues can be a very poor suggestion.
There's no question that the OP's issue has everything to do with FIT. Fit in every aspect. It has nothing to do with where your big toe hits or if your heel wiggles - everything needs to be taken into consideration. Its the same reason we don't tell everyone they need Keens ..or Merrells's ...or Asolo's... Everybody has a different foot and its sad how many LD hikers just go with what's popular and/or self-diagnose.
Amanita, if you're thru-hiking, come see us in Franklin - right on Main St. - We've helped LOTS of foot issues so far and we haven't even had the kick-off crowd yet.

Amanita
03-08-2011, 02:05
I visited my local outfitter on saturday, and spent a good deal of time trying on a whole pile of trail runners. Unfortunately, none of them fit correctly. The salesperson suggested I try again in a month or so, when they get their summer stock in. Shoes are one thing I absolutely will NOT buy online. Hopefully I can find something to suit before the weather gets unbearably nice.