PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker

ATHiker11
03-03-2011, 20:11
Hello All. I am new to the forum and I would like to get some general information on everything I need to hike the AT. What works and what does not work. I am looking at hiking either later this month or next year. Can anyone help me. I hope this is posted in the right area. If it is not, can someone please let me know where to move it. Thank You

Cookerhiker
03-03-2011, 20:24
You've come to the right place and lots of folks will help. Now you'll probably hear - maybe even on this thread - that so-and-so was a total newby, just started hiking the AT one day, and finished. But for everyone who takes that approach and successfully thruhikes, there are likely scores who don't get far at all.

Can you provide a little more info on where you are and what you're planning? Are you intending a thruhike of the entire AT? When you say you're "new to hiking," does that mean you haven't hiked at all or perhaps not overnight?

Helios
03-03-2011, 20:26
You've asked a very broad question. What works and what doesn't is often dependant on the person. For instance, some like tents, some just a tarp, some in hammocks,.... Some cook with cannister stoves, some home made alcohol stoves... all of these work, all are personal choices.

Look around, get some ideas, try some things out for your self. If you really want to get some eyes on good scoop, hop down to Mountain Crossing. The AT goes right through and arch way between the buildings there. The staff there have everything you need to be outfitted with, and know hiking - especially the AT. It's not that far from where you are and would be worth the tril.

http://www.mountaincrossings.com/contact-us.aspx

mountain squid
03-03-2011, 20:40
Hello All. I am new to the forum and I would like to get some general information on everything I need to hike the AT. What works and what does not work. I am looking at hiking either later this month or next year. Can anyone help me. I hope this is posted in the right area. If it is not, can someone please let me know where to move it. Thank You
Wanna go for a day hike on Saturday? I'll give you an earful. Just let me know . . . there are plenty of nearby trailheads and I'll be hitting the trail somewhere.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WB.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14493)

halftime
03-03-2011, 20:42
:welcome Welcome! Good place to start is the articles (links on home page) and of course any threads that raise the same questions you have.

snifur
03-03-2011, 20:42
you asked a very broad question. you need to identify what you need to know. i suggest looking around on the forums and start with the prep articles under the "thru-hiking info" at the top of the page. and then use the search function for your specific questions. read as much info as you can here on WB. there are great resources. take your time to get the info. dont rush. take your time and find what works for you. enjoy yourself and have fun finding the answers.

ATHiker11
03-03-2011, 21:24
I plan on thru hiking. I would like to know what gear is good and what is not so good. Is there a brand that holds up better than others. What are some common tips to "prepare" for hiking the many miles. I have been hiking for many years but never something on this scale. Thanks to all the replys.

Papa D
03-03-2011, 22:02
Ok - here is a stab at an actual answer for you. If you can put together a basic lightweight backpacking kit - sleeping bag in dry- stuff-sack, wear non-cotton clothing in layers, pack a rain jacket and a fleece sweater, take a lightweight stove and very small light cooking kit, a super light tarp or solo tent, put it all in a pack with about 6 days of high caloric to weight ratio food that won't spoil, carry a headlamp, a spoon, a lighter or two and a toothbrush, you have at least a start on the packing - obtain a Thru-hikers "Companion" from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy - read it cover to cover and tear out sections you need (mail yourself other sections as needed) - this will give you a start on planning. Attempt a one-week unsupported backpacking trip with your gear - practice - hope that you get wet and a little cold - it will help you figure out how to deal with it. Protect your feet too - they are super important - wear smartwool type socks and lightweight shoes (no boots no-matter what some sales clerk tells you) - If you can do a week of 8-10 mile days on the AT, (mileage will increase with fitness) you can do the whole trail if your mind holds up - that is a big IF. I really hope you are successful - about 10% of those that try actually make it. Where do you fall in this equation? Be honest with yourself but go for it if you want it. Hike your own hike and Good luck.

bigcranky
03-03-2011, 22:12
New Hiker,

Please note that no two hikers have the same gear. Also that hikers can argue about which is the “best” gear all day long, without getting anywhere. But if you look at enough hikers, some patterns start to emerge, and here is my interpretation:

PACK
2-3 pound internal frame pack with big outside pockets, around 3500-4000 ci total. ULA, Six Moons Designs, REI Flash, Granite Gear, etc.
trash bag to line pack
silnylon pack cover

SLEEP
2-3 pound single wall tent, or 1 pound silnylon tarp. Tarptent, SMD, Lightheart.
ground sheet -- either tyvek or polycro
high quality down sleeping bag -- this is the only really expensive item in the pack. Marmot, Western Mountaineering, Montbell. The temp rating depends on when you start your hike, but a good 15-F or 20-F rated bag will go the whole way. A silnylon roll-top stuff sack for your bag.
A sleeping pad, either Thermarest Prolite Plus or Z-lite

EAT
Small aluminum or titanium mug or pot, 700-1000ml, with lid. Snow Peak, Montbell
Homemade alcohol stove or a <3 ounce canister stove
Spoon. I like a long handled spoon for convenience. NO SPORKS!
A tiny dropper bottle of dish soap and a piece of “onion bag” nylon mesh for cleanup
2 Gatorade or Aqua Fina bottles for water
Aqua Mira drops for water treatment
A larger bag for collecting water, like the Platypus Big Zip bags
A 50-ft piece of lightweight cord and a tiny carabiner for hanging food
A silnylon roll-top stuff sack for your food

CLOTHING

Clothes to wear on the trail:
light base layer top, synthetic or wool, short or long sleeve
synthetic briefs if you wear them
light long john bottoms
nylon running shorts or zipoff pants, like the REI Sahara
light fleece hat and very light gloves
mid-weight wool socks
trail runners that fit well

Clothes to wear in camp or on breaks:
mid-weight base layer top, wool or synthetic, like the Capilene 3
mid-weight base layer bottoms, same
down or synthetic puffy jacket, or a 300-weight fleece jacket
warm fleece hat and gloves
thick wool socks for sleeping
Many hikers bring Crocs or similar for camp shoes. Very popular.

Other clothes:
waterproof and breathable rain shell, like the Marmot Precip jacket
rain pants, same thing
nylon ball cap
gaiters -- some people won’t hike without them. I like them in snow.

STUFF:
lightweight headlamp
hiking sticks, if you use them
watch, compass, phone (charger), camera (charger, spare cards)
journal, pencil
a small first aid kit, and any personal medications
a ziploc sandwich bag with your cash, credit cards, ID card, etc
toiletries -- toothbrush and paste, Purell, toilet paper, powder and skin lotion, sunscreen
ear plugs (essential), and a whistle
A sit pad made of closed cell foam, large enough for your sitting area

All of this will fit in a 3200-cubic-inch pack, or smaller, and weigh around 15-18 pounds base weight (that is, without food or water.) Total weight with 4 days of food and 2 liters of water is 25-28 pounds.

Good luck.

Papa D
03-03-2011, 22:21
Big Cranky's post was much better than mine

Raul Perez
03-03-2011, 23:28
Big Cranky that was a great post!

I did a series on general hiking gear here's the intro just follow the series and you will be familiar with most of the gear you will research:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00QaUx156UY

Have fun out there!

skooch
03-04-2011, 09:26
READ READ READ this site is such an awesome source and the folks here are genuine and have a heart for the out of doors and others. I enjoyed AWOL's book (love the AT guide too) and K1's 300 Zeros.

Rick500
03-04-2011, 16:40
Nice post, Big Cranky. I would only add: I like my Ti spork quite well :), and for the pack liner bag, a trash compactor bag is a lot tougher and weighs probably a gram or two more.

Blissful
03-04-2011, 16:42
Go to the articles section too. Plenty of info.

ATHiker11
03-04-2011, 17:56
Thanks to all the replys. Hope my next question is not a dumb one. Can you buy "used" gear from someone who did not hike all the way and if so where can the info be obtained. Someone who replyed stated that shoes not boots were best. I have never hiked without boots. Is there an advantage to wearing hiking shoes vs boots. I have had several people tell me that marino wool underwear and socks are the best to wear. Why????

bigcranky
03-04-2011, 18:18
Used gear: yes. Check these forums, and ask around. Put a WTB ad if you need something specific. (Oh, and it won't necessarily be people who didn't complete a thru -- lots of hikers tweak their gear all the time, and sell the previous stuff.)

Shoes: Trail runners are common on the AT. Some hikers, myself included, find them far more comfortable than boots. I use the Salomon XA Comp.

Wool: wool undies are nice, the best part is they don't ever smell bad. Synthetic underwear on some people, myself included, should be outlawed b/c of the stench. Very light wool is fine even in warm weather.

Feral Bill
03-04-2011, 18:41
I would differ with Big Cranky on a few items, but his list should work very well. I recommend reading 1. The Complete Walker IV by Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlson, and 2. Basic Backpacking by Chris Townsend. These are very thorough works by highly experienced people. If you want to save money, don't do it on your sleeping bag or footwear. For clothing, Goodwill is your friend.

bigcranky
03-04-2011, 20:28
I would differ with Big Cranky on a few items, but his list should work very well.

Well, if you ask me tomorrow, I would differ with some of the specifics, too. Depends on my mood. But I think the basics are pretty good for a start.

Thanks for all the kind words. I put this list together for another hiker, and saved it for just this sort of occasion.

Heading out tomorrow for the Hiker Hostel and a week of hiking in Georgia. Happy trails.

wvgrinder
03-04-2011, 20:43
I would suggest simply exploring these forums. There's specific sub-forums to direct your questions to.

harryfred
03-04-2011, 21:42
Read the post and forums Big Cranky gave a good list. Throw together the best you can and go hike. Do a day trip, then an overnighter, then a weekend, then a long weekend. Adjust and modify as you go. At first when in doubt go cheap, even if it is junk (like my first backpack) It will teach you something. Find a friend like Mountain Squid to hike with, most of us have some extra, older gear to lend.
Nothing teaches hiking like hiking.
HYOH

-OvertheEdge- :)

GeneralLee10
03-04-2011, 23:43
Go to the articles section too. Plenty of info.

I second that

mweinstone
03-05-2011, 00:38
1 in 25 chance

ATHiker11
03-05-2011, 07:50
I have been hiking for years. Nothing long just weekends. I do really appriciate all the help and advice. Big Cranky thank you for a list. That really helps.

mountain squid
03-06-2011, 16:29
Earful delivered. We took a short hike down to Laurel Fork Falls today. It was snowing which was unexpected. After the hike, we stopped by Kincora Hostel for another earful from Bob.

Aside from the misadventure on the way down the mountain, I think it was a good day.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14493)