PDA

View Full Version : bandanas

darkage
03-03-2011, 20:59
I carry atleast 2 with on all trips, i was curious are there any company's that make athletic minded versions, spf/bug repel and wicking features?

Sierra Echo
03-03-2011, 21:09
You need to get a buff.

DripDry
03-03-2011, 21:15
Actually- I think Buff is missing an opportunity. I wish they made a more traditional bandana in their material. I haven't been able to find it if it is out there.

fiddlehead
03-03-2011, 21:16
bandanas are good for soaking up moisture.
Wicking fabrics won't soak it up, just pass it through.
Also, wicking fabrics melt when they are hot.
Cotton is what you want in a bandana and not plastic (wicking fabrics are made from plastic)

darkage
03-03-2011, 21:18
Yeah, traditional would be real nice ... but i think i can make due checkin out buffwear.com ... my first feature would be it needs to wick, second would be some form of upf ... third could be a bug repellent, but you can pick up your own permithrin and apply regardless ....

mountain squid
03-03-2011, 21:19
You need to get a buff.Concur. I carry 2 Buffs (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=328&compid=1).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14493)

darkage
03-03-2011, 21:20
bandanas are good for soaking up moisture.
Wicking fabrics won't soak it up, just pass it through.
Also, wicking fabrics melt when they are hot.
Cotton is what you want in a bandana and not plastic (wicking fabrics are made from plastic)

Hmm, you got a point i suppose .... there just such a pain in the ass to keep dry .... if you say cotton is the way to go, exofficio i think makes a few i could check out too ...

DripDry
03-03-2011, 21:24
Fiddlehead- I agree and carry a cotton bandana too for camp chores. I use one on the back of my neck at times (tucked under my hat) and want one that wicks. I don't like to wear the buff around my neck- too hot for me most of the time.

Enic
03-03-2011, 21:53
Of course, there is the option of a natural wicking material that doesn't melt... WOOL. My merino buff is my friend, but taking a sponge or cotton bandana along too is useful for camp chores like cooking or wiping condensation off a tent.

daddytwosticks
03-04-2011, 08:26
My two bandanas I always carry are the only cotton items in my pack. :)

leaftye
03-04-2011, 08:30
I carry atleast 2 with on all trips, i was curious are there any company's that make athletic minded versions, spf/bug repel and wicking features?

You could put permithrin on it, although that kills bugs, and I don't think it offers any repellent properties, although a bandana is the last thing I'd want a chemical treatment on.

Roots
03-04-2011, 09:10
I took 3 separate, old bandana's and cut them into small square pieces. I diaper pen to either my shoulder strap or the front of my pack. They dry as I hike.

I ALWAYS wear a buff. I use it as a head wrap, ear muff, neck gaiter, etc. The most versatile piece of gear I own.

TheYoungOne
03-04-2011, 15:31
Have you checked REI?

Underarmor makes a poly bandana

http://www.rei.com/product/803587

And ExOfficio make a cotton bandana with insect repellant

http://www.rei.com/product/746685

Two Tents
03-04-2011, 15:41
I like mine. It says HIKER TO TOWN on one side and HIKER TO TRAIL on the other side. Pretty sweet when hitching. Its cotton, white with big green letters. I hold it or safety pin it to my pack.

Duff
04-24-2011, 12:32
I like mine. It says HIKER TO TOWN on one side and HIKER TO TRAIL on the other side. Pretty sweet when hitching. Its cotton, white with big green letters. I hold it or safety pin it to my pack.

Where did you get it? I've seen these and would like to have one. Thanks!

LDog
04-24-2011, 13:30
Bandanas are a great multi-use items. Keep the sun or chill off your neck, the sweat outta your eyes, fashion a fly do-rag, pre-filter water, wash your body, bandage a wound, splint a broken bone, sling an arm ... Most are too small for that last function. To outfit my Ski Patrol first aid kit, I bought some cotton fabric, cut it into triangles big enough to sling my arm, and hemmed the edges. We'll be bringing a pair with us.

chiefiepoo
04-24-2011, 16:24
Bandanas are a great multi-use items. Keep the sun or chill off your neck, the sweat outta your eyes, fashion a fly do-rag, pre-filter water, wash your body, bandage a wound, splint a broken bone, sling an arm ... Most are too small for that last function.

Old scout neckerchief. Big enough for sling and do rag. Colorful. Nostalgic. Conversation starter.

mweinstone
04-24-2011, 16:35
some ideas from my weird to your norm:

bandanna as wet, rat tail whip weapon to shater gigantic mothes like glass in mid air.
bandanna with drop of dr bronners for a fart sheild against jack or tricks.

and the single most important emergency use of your bandanna , your only absorbant item,...is to collect rock seepage water and squeeze into your dry mouth.

jima59
04-24-2011, 16:54
Sorry but I wouldn't want to put any bug chemicals on a bandana that might be used to wipe your sweat off your face or forehead, you might forget and it could easily drip into your face.....I know from practical experience being a delivery person for a chemical wholesaler, wiped my brow with my hand after handling some cases of chemicals, cypermethrin and permethrin and had irritating problems later.

sbhikes
04-24-2011, 17:58
Why not get an old hiking shirt or fishing shirt or something similar at the thrift shop and cut a bandana-sized square from it.

If you want a bandana that says Hiker to Town or whatever on it, you can get blank bandanas from the craft store and use paint or fabric markers or iron-on letters to write what you want. Heck, even a Sharpie pen would do it.

mstone
05-04-2011, 08:40
Sounds like Buff would be just what you're looking for.

LDog
05-04-2011, 09:49
Old scout neckerchief. Big enough for sling and do rag. Colorful. Nostalgic. Conversation starter.

I still have a few of those. Mary and I were joking that we needed neckerchief slides ... Maybe fashioned outta paracord like those survival bracelets you see :rolleyes:

OldFeet
05-04-2011, 10:04
l carry both a bandana and a buff. The buff is used as a sweatband durung the day and a head covering at night depending on the temps. I really like its versatility. The bandana is tied to my shoulder strap during the day so it's easy to use if needed and makes a terrific washcloth, filter etc.