PDA

View Full Version : Need a new bladder..

thrntnandrw
03-03-2011, 22:07
I currently use three different bladders: one platypus, one camelbak, and a cheap something I think from Walmart; each only being 2 liters. I love them all and swear by them, BUT, leaving for GA in a few weeks and was wondering where the most convenient place to pick up a bit larger bladder from. I prefer platypus as that has outlasted anything camping gear I've ever owned, ever. Just was wondering if anybody knew of any other brand that would provide the most volume for my buck.

Also, what do most of you use as a supplemental water storage?

bulldog49
03-03-2011, 23:28
In my opinion you can't beat Platypus. You can buy them anywhere.

SweetAss03
03-03-2011, 23:57
2L is plenty you don't need anymore.

NCarolinaHiker
03-04-2011, 00:01
Love my Platy Big Zip.

fredmugs
03-04-2011, 12:41
I bring a 3 liter camelbak bladder and try to keep at least 16 ounces of water in a side pouch as a backup in case I drain the bladder.

Praha4
03-04-2011, 12:45
I use a Platypus 2.0L Big Zip in my pack. I also carry a Platypus 2.0L Platybottle for gathering water from springs and creeks, and for treating with Aqua Mira. Take an extra gatorade bottle too, they always come in handy.

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/water-bottles/platy-bottle/product

you will be better off not taking a Walmart bladder, those are usually poor quality.

good luck

Tenderheart
03-04-2011, 15:09
I carried a MSR Dromedary 2.5L bladder with drinking tube on my thru and will at least start out with it this time. Platypus bags tended to delaminate then, but I understand they have made great strides. I agree that you never really need more water than this. Water is heavy. I carried this much simply because I didn't tant to stop and replenish so often.

litefoot 2000

tuswm
02-01-2015, 18:22
Has anyone used the osprey 3L?

RangerZ
02-01-2015, 19:05

I've got an Osprey 3L. I prefer a reservoir rather than separate water bottles. I agree with the folks above, you may never need 3L, but we pack for our fears. The reservoir itself isn't much heavier than a 2L Just fill what you need that day. I had it out today on a day hike, filled it full to make up for food weight that I wasn't carrying.

squeezebox
02-01-2015, 23:03
The new bladder should work out but, my mother needs a new kidney.

rocketsocks
02-02-2015, 06:22
2L is plenty you don't need anymore.
I be always felt that kinda depends on where your hiking and the current conditions. If you hike in PA or Jersey in the summer months following a dry spell, 3 liters in my opinion isn't to much. One of the absolute worse feelings is running low on or outta water, and with no prospect ta to speak of between known watering holes, ex; House tap, store, city water system. One extra liter of water is about 2lb. That's not gonna break anybody's back, but as they say, we un-pack our fears, so if an extra liter is gonna break someone, by all means dump it. But check the local, current conditions before ya do.

Traveler
02-02-2015, 07:03

I use one and like it a little better than a 3L Camelback I have, though in the winter I will use the Camelback because its insulated. The Osprey bladder has some stability in the pack and avoids footballing with different water loads and gear, its also has various volume marks that are handy. I have not tried it in other packs but it fits well into the Osprey packs I have in their hydro-pocket. The full length handle makes it pretty easy to use in a variety of ways. It's no more difficult to clean than other similar products.

rock steady
02-02-2015, 19:21
I agree that you won't need more than 2L for Ga, NC,TN IMHO. If it were me,I'd take the 2L and a Nalgene if you have it or your 2 bladders. My plan is to camel-up 1L Gatorade after breakfast then head out w/1L. May have to adjust maybe not.I don't see any scarcity H2O tween Springer & Hiawassee before June or July. good hiking and God bless!

Bucho
02-06-2015, 00:15
Some of those plans sound heavy, especially the nalgene. I think sectionhiker makes a compelling argument: http://sectionhiker.com/go-light-ditch-your-nalgene-bottles/

misterfloyd
02-06-2015, 08:57
I love my old osprey 3l. It has the 3/8 tube and when I need water it comes out like a garden hose. Don't always fill it up all the way but it is nice to know it is there in dry stretches.

Last big section I tried the platy 2l. It had a hard time getting water out of it, as well as there were times I thought it was empty but there was still water in there, was no fault of packing.

The Osprey was more comfortable with the backing and I could always feel the tube of the platy against my back. The platy is the SL I believe which is not made anymore. The osprey has gone to a 1/4 standard hose as well.

Osprey is heavier but when I want water I get it. Never tried a camelback.

My two cents

Dochartaigh
02-06-2015, 10:35
I go for slight weight savings when looking at something simple like a bladder. The lightest 2 liter one I've found is the regular Platypus at 1.23 ounces.

If you want one with a drinking tube, the Platypus 2L Hoser at 3.68 ounces is hard to beat (and that weight might go down just a bit as I'll probably cut some of the tubing off since it's too long)...I just can't find a good place to put one of these in my pack anymore (stupid lightweight packs either bow-out in the middle if you hang it, or are so slender inside that putting a big bladder along the back messes up how to easily access all the other gear inside).

If you commonly use drink powders, or store things other than plain water in yours, then by all means go with the wide top-opening bladders for easier cleaning – but those are easily double if not triple+ the weight of the above.

featherhiker
02-06-2015, 10:41
I have never had a Platypus bladder but I took a Osprey 3 liter on a 2 week hike in Philmont New Mexico and have used it for all my hikes and It has held up for years. I would highly recommend it for any serious hiker wanting more volume in a water bladder.

featherhiker
02-06-2015, 10:43
I love that bladder. I used it on a 100 mile hike through New Mexico. Highly recommend it.

Walkintom
02-07-2015, 11:42
I've tried newer models of the Osprey, the Platy and Camelback. I actually find all three of them to be pretty good. I'm a heavy water drinker and I never want to run out if I can avoid it so I tend to go with bigger reservoirs than many folks.

I really like the Big Zip 3.0L for trips where I'm just using my Sawyer inline filter. I can fill the bladder up and gravity flow to get all of my cooking and sanitation water for dinner and breakfast along with some drinking water for the middle of the night and have enough water left to hike all of the next day. I like that a lot for times when camp isn't right on top of my water supply and I don't want to make multiple trips hauling. When I am really close to water I have the luxury of simply not filling it up as much.

For day trips, the Camelbak is my fave. Stays clean even if I forget to empty it for a week or so after the trip and is pretty easy to clean.

For times where I'm cleaning up my water before putting it in the reservoir the Osprey 2.5L is my favorite. The interior baffles help it keep flowing down to the last drop and it's easier to get situated once filled than the others.

Those are the things that I've noticed with each. YMMV.

globetruck
02-08-2015, 10:07
I like my platypus 3L big zip. The zipper makes it easier to clean and dry when not in use. I don't usually need 3L unless hiking with my son, and when solo, I usually only have it partially filled. I've found that putting 2L in a 3L bladder makes it easier to fit into my pack compared to a fully loaded 2L bladder.