PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for all the helpful tips!!--and another question

Different Socks
03-03-2011, 22:27
A shout out to all of you that frequent this topic/forum and consistently answer some of the same questions time after time. For me, even when I use the "search" field, I still don't/can't find an answer to my question.

So here is another one: Does anyone have a list of the measuring spoon amounts for powdered milk? Most meals I make require 1/2 cup of milk or less, while most powdered milk directions start at 1 cup. Sorry, but when it says use 1/3 cup powder to mix with water, my mathematical brain is out the door somewhere!

So to make 3/4 cup milk, use ____ tablespoons?

1/2 cup milk, use ____ tablespoons?

1/4 cup?

Again, thanks for your replies.

BTW, I know different brands may use different mixing amounts, so please just give me your best estimate.

NCarolinaHiker
03-03-2011, 22:45
http://www.cooks.com/rec/convert/

1 Cup is 16 tablespoons, FWIW. Maybe the site above will help answer other questions you might have.

garlic08
03-03-2011, 22:48
I use about one third of the liquid volume. So for 3/4 cup milk, use about 1/4 cup powder. That's two fl oz or four tbsp.

1/2 cup equals 8 tbsp, so 1/3 of that is about three scant tbsp.

1/4 cup equals 4 tbsp, and 1/3 of that is one tbsp plus a tsp.

It doesn't really matter all that much. Just dump some in until it looks about right.

Different Socks
03-03-2011, 23:23
"It doesn't really matter all that much. Just dump some in until it looks about right."

That is what I usually do. Problem is, I am preparing over 500 dinners alone and it seems like the dinners that require milk, I am going thru the boxes way too fast.

sarbar
03-03-2011, 23:34
When I use dry milk in a recipe I add it to the dry ingredients - it mixes in better that way in most cases.
Typically I use 1/3 cup dry to 1 cup water if I need fluid milk (say for pudding) but for dinners? Lets say your meal is a Knorr side dish and it calls for 1/3 cup milk - I'd toss in a Tablespoon of dry milk and call it a day.

In many meals you can omit with no real issues - but dry milk does add calories and protein. So don't stress, just add in a Tbsp or two unless you are making a cream sauce or a pudding.

Different Socks
03-04-2011, 01:46
When I use dry milk in a recipe I add it to the dry ingredients - it mixes in better that way in most cases.
Typically I use 1/3 cup dry to 1 cup water if I need fluid milk (say for pudding) but for dinners? Lets say your meal is a Knorr side dish and it calls for 1/3 cup milk - I'd toss in a Tablespoon of dry milk and call it a day.

In many meals you can omit with no real issues - but dry milk does add calories and protein. So don't stress, just add in a Tbsp or two unless you are making a cream sauce or a pudding.

Sarbar, if a tablespoon is good for 1/3 cup milk, then I've been putting in way too much. Guess those particular meals will indeed have more protein.

swjohnsey
03-04-2011, 09:35
Direction on Nestles Nida dry whole milk 1/4 cup dry makes 1 cup so 1 tbs dry = 1/4 cup milk.

Roots
03-04-2011, 09:37
I just add some to my dry food. Never have measured.

sarbar
03-04-2011, 18:12
Yeah...and honestly...if you use more than called for it is OK in nearly all recipes :) And getting more protein...is almost always good for hikers :)