PDA

View Full Version : Pinkham To Katahdin!

SargeAT
01-09-2005, 16:08
A week after our graduation from high-school, a friend and I are planning to section hike from the Pinkham Notch visitors center, to Mt. Katahdin...Our projected ETA is about a month and a half, giving us a generous 7 miles a day or more. I have hiked a small part of this stretch before, that being the reason I have selected it for a more thorough hike. My friend has never been hiking before, and I have told him the nessecary preparations he must make, physically and otherwise. Obtaining gear is not so much of a problem as is not knowing how much of what I should bring, and other specifics regarding the nature of the terrain up north. I did some research and I came up with about 4 pages of things we would need, fitting in with the E.S.S.E.N.T.I.A.L.S. that was outlined in Backpacking The Kelty Way. Any input that you all could give would be most helpful!

:confused:

rickb
01-09-2005, 18:20
Have you checked out the PDF of the ALDHA's guidebook yet?

www.aldha.org has it on-line.

Be sure to tell your friend after you climb out of Pinkham Notch that you guys just did what many might consider the hardest climb up on the Trail. Southern Maine is tough too. For me, THAT was the toughest part of the AT.
And the Bigalows remain perhaps my favorite stretch.

Have fun. Advise? Bring deet and bug head nets and moleskin. And remeber that 7 miles/day in the first couple weeks is not a wimpy pace at all-- even for a couple 17 year old walking machines.

Rick B

MtnMagic
01-09-2005, 20:13
Not only is the hike up the 5 Wildcats (4k'+) a strenuous haul, the descent into Carter Notch and backup to Carter Dome and beyond is one heck of a haul with a heavy, full pack.

Then the Mahoosucs begin after you complete the Carter Moriah Trail. Don't let the low elevations fool you. This is the toughest part of the entire AT. The Mahoosuc Notch, then up the Mahoosuc Arm is grueling. At 17, you'll love it. Enjoy the terrific memories!

SargeAT
01-09-2005, 22:30
I chose that section of trail because I'am somewhat familiar with it, completing an AMC Teen wild course a few years back...I did not learn it was the most difficult part of the AT until after I had completed it.....