PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Schedule?

the judge
03-04-2011, 15:34
are there any articles out there regarding resupply points while on a south bound hike? everyone puts a lot of emphasis on north bound hiking because it is the norm, yet south bound seems to be more of an at your own kind of hike. I have inadvertently been placed as the leader of my small group and the short amount of time before we leave is giving me the jitters regarding my plans. we have adequate gear and have prepared physically. should i take the north bound guide and reverse it like i have already done, or will this fubar any attempt at reaching GA? We are prepared to do whatever it takes to make this work.

bigcranky
03-04-2011, 15:43
Get the southbound AT Guide guidebook (http://www.theatguide.com/). Much easier, and I like this guide a lot.

Make your Baxter Park reservations early, and maybe reserve an extra day or two in the park, just in case weather delays your summit. Plan to hit Katahdin then spend another night in the park, then head south. You can resupply and eat at White House Landing a couple of days into the 100 Mile Wilderness. Beyond that you can hit grocery stores when you get to towns.

Be flexible, make plans, and be prepared to change your plans as you adapt to the Trail. Have a great hike.

the judge
03-04-2011, 16:08
Thank you. we're very used to things not going our way. I worked in an office with 8 bosses telling me 12 different things for 3 years and I found quickly that my idea of how things should work and how they are working are two entirely different affairs.

Blissful
03-04-2011, 16:39
I will be putting a resupply southbound together on my blog soon. Honestly though its the same as northbound. The only thing you need to be concerned about is some resupplies closing early at certain seasons. Like the small store at NOC, etc. And no shuttles to Fontana Dam, Franklin etc. Some hostels also close early, so check the guide for their seasons. You need to check on hostels after Sept 1 for opening and closing. Also some shuttles are curtailed by then too.
But most everything is open. So just use a NOBO guide

the judge
03-04-2011, 16:58
already placed an order for the south bound guide book that cranky pointed out. $20 total for the loose leaf guide and i'm sure i'll tweak things to my liking.

Delta-Dawn
03-04-2011, 17:06
It is a good guide. I've already started marking mine up. :)

TJ aka Teej
03-04-2011, 17:51
I have inadvertently been placed as the leader of my small group and the short amount of time before we leave is giving me the jitters regarding my plans.
First off, get off on the right foot. Make those Baxter reservations, for a lean-to the night before and after your climb. Then, contact the AT Lodge in Millinocket for their sobo deal - they'll pick you up at the bus stop (7:30PM many, many miles from the Park) put you up overnight, feed you, and shuttle you in to the Trailhead the next morning. After the Park the new owners of the Abol Bridge Store will have all you need to get through the 100 mile, but stop at Whitehouse Landing anyway. And if you need resupply in the Wilderness, WB member Boarstone can hook you up, as can folks from the hostels in Monson.
You'll be months away from southern stores and services shutting down, so enjoy the walk!

While you're planning, keep an eye on this: http://www.neoc.com/webcam/twin-pines-webcam-camera1.php

wvgrinder
03-04-2011, 18:02
already placed an order for the south bound guide book that cranky pointed out. $20 total for the loose leaf guide and i'm sure i'll tweak things to my liking.

I think you'll be impressed w/ Awol's guide. I pick it up many times daily. I'll be heading SOBO sometime after July 15. :banana

Marta
03-05-2011, 07:16
Any guide will work if you read it back to front. As already noted, you need to pay attention to closing dates for seasonal hostels and services, such as the waysides in the Shenandoah National Park.

To emphasize some of the advice above: Make your reservations at Baxter and do some planning for Maine. Beyond that things will probably change to the point that advance planning will be wasted.

I would advised getting the map set for the entire trail, and if you have someone at home base who will be mailing things to you, leave an identical guidebook with them. That way if you tell them you are going to stop at XXX hostel, they can look it up and get the address, phone number, etc. from the book just like you do.

The Flatulator
03-05-2011, 09:43
I am doing a resupply for hikers on the Jo-Mary road beginning on June 1 through October 15. This is mid way through the 100 Mile Wilderness and about five days from Baxter Park. Hikers can prepare a food package for delivery. I have a complete package for long distance hikers with more information available at my website at www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info) Package includes shuttle from Bangor to Baxter with accomodations at our hiker cabin. The $100 price also includes the resupply in the Wilderness, etc. From there, the best opportunities to resupply in Maine are Monson, Stratton, Rangeley and Andover. These are all Trail friendly towns with complete hiker services. The AT Guide by David Miller is the best source of information on the entire Trail. I used it exclusively on my 2010 thru-hike and just the profiles alone, were worth the low cost of the book. It's the only Guide you will need.....Phil from Maine