PDA

View Full Version : Pack Separation Anxiety

Turtle Feet
03-04-2011, 19:13
The time has come - time to box up my pack with all life's necessities for the next 6 months - and send it off to the Hiker Hostel. I can't believe I'm even saying it - 9 days and counting....

:eek: Yikes! :eek:

crazystick
03-04-2011, 19:16
whoa! cool! thats got to be exciting, yet worrisome, is this the first time your packs been traveling on her own without you?

Have a good hike, 9 days? woo hoo! Im starting the 19th from the approach trail, might see ya on the trail.

Iceaxe
03-04-2011, 19:37
Congratulations Turtle Feet!
10 days and counting here! I am gonna risk it and take my pack with me on the plane.
I have my 4 flat rate boxes for shoes and socks ready for my "box mailer".:sun
Doesn't seem possible that we will soon be living on the trail does it?
Hope to see you both out there. I am looking forward to seeing what Georgia looks like. All these place names are finally going to become real to us.
We are so lucky to live in this great country and enjoy the freedoms and protections we have. Thanks to the Men and Women of the armed forces, past and present, who keep us free to hike these trails!

Turtle Feet
03-04-2011, 19:45
Yeah Crazystick - it IS the first time my pack has made a trip without me... lol. Come to think of it - my pack is going to see GA before I do!

Iceaxe - I'm sure you'll catch me before we reach Neels! We ARE lucky! Lucky is barely a worthy enough word.

Someone posted this link somewhere else on this site, and I thought it was a good one as you can search by mountain: www.mountain-forecast.com/Springer-Mountain (http://www.mountain-forecast.com/Springer-Mountain)

Jersey Tim
03-04-2011, 19:51
Good luck! Your posts are among the more coherent and useful on these forums... any chance you'll be keeping a trail journal with any regularity?

Turtle Feet
03-04-2011, 20:04
Hi Jersey Tim! Yes to journaling - www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet (http://www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet)

I'll be perfectly honest - in the real world, I'm terrible at journaling. I'm very inconsistent with my updates, but I think it will be different this time. I have so much invested in this trip, and have engaged so many friends and family members, I can't help but keep everyone posted on my progress.

I had a dream last night that I got to the Hiker Hostel and opened my box, there was my pack, but when I opened the pack it was empty! LMAO!!! OK, I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, but....

Speakeasy TN
03-04-2011, 20:21
I'll be starting on the 17th, so maybe I'll see ya along the way! If you do hit any snags let me know. I'm not too far from the trailhead.

wvgrinder
03-04-2011, 20:24
You and your pack are going to be just fine TF. Have a grate hike & enjoy the ride. Blessings to you w/ every step you take.

kayak karl
03-04-2011, 20:25
im clicking the "LIKE" botton :)

Jersey Tim
03-04-2011, 20:35
Cool, I'll be rooting for you! Watch for some summer trail magic if you hit the Pochuck boardwalk on a weekend.

hobbs
03-04-2011, 20:38
Have a great hike Turtlefeet!!! I am sure your pack misses you too..:)

Turtle Feet
03-04-2011, 21:20
lamarr - I'm sure we'll meet up! I'll be passed by folks starting waaaay after you do!

OK Jersey Tim - I'm making notes... "Jersey Tim, weekend, Pochuck boardwalk". ;)

Thanks WVGrinder, kayak karl & hobbs - I'm gonna miss you guys!

cricket71
03-04-2011, 21:32
so jealous of all you folks this year. 2 more years and hopefully I can count myself in. til then only 1 and 2 week stints. good hiking all:banana

FritztheCat
03-04-2011, 22:12
I've got 26 days until my trek. I know the excitement is building. Looking forward to reading your register entries. :)

hobbs
03-04-2011, 22:36
You will make it no doubt turtlefeet!!! I can't put into the words How wonderful Macfee's knob will be when you get here.. All I can say is it's waiting for you and the rest of the class..

Don H
03-04-2011, 22:41
I start 3/13 in the afternoon.

Old Hiker
03-04-2011, 23:12
Good hiking, Turtle Feet. Let's hope your pack doesn't get antsy waiting for you and start early!!

Good luck, stay safe, enjoy your hike!

Firefighter503
03-05-2011, 02:01
TF I will see you out there on the 13th. I'll be hitting the approach trail that morning. Probably have my dad and at least one brother starting with me at least for a few miles (or days, who knows).

Sassafras Lass
03-05-2011, 10:13
Someone posted this link somewhere else on this site, and I thought it was a good one as you can search by mountain: www.mountain-forecast.com/Springer-Mountain (http://www.mountain-forecast.com/Springer-Mountain)

Turtle, that link is defunct - try this for weather updates on Springer: http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Springer-Mountain/forecasts/1153

Turtle Feet
03-05-2011, 10:40
Turtle, that link is defunct - try this for weather updates on Springer: http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Springer-Mountain/forecasts/ 1153

thanks F-stop! Yes, you've got to sqeeze /peaks/ in there. Don't know how accurate, but for those out there right now, it looks like Wednesday the 9th is going to be a b#t@h! I think I saw 65mph winds on Tray?

I wish ALL of us could be meeting up on Springer on the 13th, but alas, next year when all of you "2012'ers" are ready to head out, I'll be drooling over my keyboard, entertaining the question of how long it would take for my husband to notice my pack & I were gone again!

Stearman
03-05-2011, 13:31
See ya there!!!!

walkin' wally
03-05-2011, 14:43
I sent out my pack Thursday a couple of days ago. It may be a little soon but I don't have to deal with it anymore and if Murphy's Law kicks in I will have a couple of days leeway. Time is really going by fast now for me.

I am starting on the 14th from the Hiker Hostel. See you all on the trail this season and good luck to everyone.:sun

Turtle Feet
03-05-2011, 18:33
As I was packing her up this morning, and pulling out the things I want to keep with me this week, it occured to me - I'm going to be trying to get thru TSA airport security with nothing but a cell phone, camera, ipod, chargers for those, cash, & id in a quart size freezer bag, and a one way ticket. Even I wouldn't let me thru!

hikingshoes
03-05-2011, 19:21
Turtle Feet,
Good luck on your thru-hike.Gf and i just got back from hiking Max Patch rd.to Standing Bear.Water at groundhog creek shelter is good.HS

HiKen2011
03-05-2011, 21:42
As I was packing her up this morning, and pulling out the things I want to keep with me this week, it occured to me - I'm going to be trying to get thru TSA airport security with nothing but a cell phone, camera, ipod, chargers for those, cash, & id in a quart size freezer bag, and a one way ticket. Even I wouldn't let me thru!

They'll probably lock you're arse up! Call me and I'll sign your bond!;)

art gypsy
03-05-2011, 22:19
yikes, I start on the 9th. It is going to be a cold, wet, slow, windy start.

Turtle Feet
03-06-2011, 00:25
yikes, I start on the 9th. It is going to be a cold, wet, slow, windy start.

I'll be sending warm wishes your way art gypsy!

art gypsy
03-06-2011, 15:06
Thanks, Turtle Feet, it is hard to imagine here in warm florida how different it will feel like later this week...think I'm ready.

gipcgirl
03-06-2011, 18:12
whoa! cool! thats got to be exciting, yet worrisome, is this the first time your packs been traveling on her own without you?

Have a good hike, 9 days? woo hoo! Im starting the 19th from the approach trail, might see ya on the trail.

Hi I never seperate from my pack when its got all my hiking gear in it. Its a part of me and if I lost it so scary to have to replace all the stuff that I have accumulated and improved upon over many year. I have nightmares about pack loss.
5 more days and I'll be back on the trail Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Graywolf
03-06-2011, 18:31
Turtle Feet and all who are starting this week, good luck. If you have a journal, I plan on following you by the arm chair.

I have 360 days left.. So Far yet, so near..

have fun everyone, and be safe..

Graywolf

Turtle Feet
03-07-2011, 00:14
Turtle Feet and all who are starting this week, good luck. If you have a journal, I plan on following you by the arm chair.

I have 360 days left.. So Far yet, so near..

have fun everyone, and be safe..

Graywolf

Thanks Graywolf - who knows, if hiking the trail this year is a ton of fun, maybe I'll be back for more next year! ;)

Mike-W
03-07-2011, 04:10
Good luck to you and your Pack! I will be at the Hiker's Hostel on 14th and will depart from Amicalola Falls the next morning. See you on the trail.

Mill-Haus

Turtle Feet
03-07-2011, 07:47
Good luck to you and your Pack! I will be at the Hiker's Hostel on 14th and will depart from Amicalola Falls the next morning. See you on the trail.

Mill-Haus

Excellent! You won't be far behind me Mike. ;)

Today is a day to go over my maildrop boxes one last time. Think I may tweek a couple of locations.

The butterflies are beginning to stir...

tf

Firefighter503
03-07-2011, 08:43
TF,

Looks like its going to be 61* and sunny for us on Sunday! I'll see ya out there!

Turtle Feet
03-07-2011, 09:15
TF,

Looks like its going to be 61* and sunny for us on Sunday! I'll see ya out there!

I saw that! A little rain before we hit Neels Gap, but not too bad. The rest of the week looks good so far. I'm stoked!!! :banana:banana:banana

FORTIS
03-07-2011, 09:50
Good luck Turtle Feet. I've been going over over my drop boxes, gear, and food choices in my dreams it seems. I'm sure I'll to need to make plenty of changes once on the trail :confused: I'm just ready to get going already.

I look forward to meeting you. Have a great hike :sun

skooch
03-07-2011, 11:27
Good luck Turtle Feet. Your posts have been great. can't wait to read some your journal

Ogre
03-07-2011, 16:08
I am starting on the 14th from the Hiker Hostel. See you all on the trail this season and good luck to everyone.:sun

See you at the hostel, we're there the same day. My pack is flying with me though, bad enough I have to check it. Shipping it ahead of time would've driven me nuts. It is packed and ready except for food.

IceAge
03-07-2011, 16:20
Have fun out there, from a fellow Wisconsinite!

Turtle Feet
03-07-2011, 16:53
Have fun out there, from a fellow Wisconsinite!

I will be leaving a trail of cheese and sausage as I go... ;)

walkin' wally
03-07-2011, 21:20
See you at the hostel, we're there the same day. My pack is flying with me though, bad enough I have to check it. Shipping it ahead of time would've driven me nuts. It is packed and ready except for food.

Great, I think you are the first person I know that will be there when I am.:sun

RichardD
03-07-2011, 21:46
Have a great hike. I will be about 10 days behind you, starting 23rd. At the speed I hike its unlikely I will catch you but you never know, perhaps in Maine!
What a fabulous adventure we are all embarking on!
Take care and have fun.

Stearman
03-08-2011, 01:00
Originally Posted by Firefighter503 http://whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1124912#post1124912)
TF,

I saw that! A little rain before we hit Neels Gap, but not too bad. The rest of the week looks good so far. I'm stoked!!! :banana:banana:banana

It's going to be beautiful!!!!!!! I am doing the approach trail, hopefully I will see y'all at the shelter. Save me a seat next to the fire. I'll bring Marshmallows!

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 03:44
Congratulations Turtle Feet!
10 days and counting here! I am gonna risk it and take my pack with me on the plane.
I have my 4 flat rate boxes for shoes and socks ready for my "box mailer".:sun
Doesn't seem possible that we will soon be living on the trail does it?
Hope to see you both out there. I am looking forward to seeing what Georgia looks like. All these place names are finally going to become real to us.
We are so lucky to live in this great country and enjoy the freedoms and protections we have. Thanks to the Men and Women of the armed forces, past and present, who keep us free to hike these trails!

Thanks for your gratitude. And I hope you're having a blast on the AT.

Turtle Feet
03-23-2011, 07:38
I hit Hiawassee yesterday, stayed at the Blueberry Patch last night. The trail is amazing! Life is good!!! Moving on tonight.

mountain squid
03-23-2011, 08:03
I had a dream last night that I got to the Hiker Hostel and opened my box, there was my pack, but when I opened the pack it was empty! LMAO!!! OK, I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, but....Sooooo, was all your gear still in the box? . . . or are you a Super Ultra Lighter now . . . :rolleyes:

Enjoy those blueberry pancakes . . . . mmmmmm pancakes

Good Luck!!

See you on the trail,
mt squid