PDA

View Full Version : Not new flashlight gets major makeover.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2011, 19:48
In the pest control industry expensive flashlights are the rage...My manager walked into the office with what appeared to be an old standard - MAGLIGHT And then he turned it on, blowing away all the kryptonite bulbs and Led kits and previous LED lights that are practically being given away. The deep reflector adds an inch and the weight is a touch above 4oz with batteries, this new MAGLIGHT blows much of the competition away... There is absolutely no need to purchase the older flashlights as the new price point is $16 to $21 dollars. Do not look for this in the check out, retailers are alerted to blow the old ones out.

http://www.maglite.com/aa_Cell_LED.asp

springerfever
03-04-2011, 21:33
Yep, the new maglights are much brighter than the previous models. Great for a flashlight for your car, particularly with the new lithium batterys that have an extremely long shelf life and work well in the cold.

Here's a light I picked up recently and have it attached to the interior peak of my BA Copper Spur UL1 tent. Two modes...the soft lasts an INCREDIBLE 1200 hours with a lithium nine-volt on soft setting.

http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/31949

Jersey Tim
03-04-2011, 21:55
I agree with both points in this thread; the LED Mini-Mag is a great, bright little light for home, car, etc., but the Paklite's size, weight and battery life beat all for hiking.

bigcranky
03-04-2011, 22:23
Looking at the stats on their site, it gets 69 lumens for 18 hours on high. If so, that's very impressive out of a pair of AA alkalines. ~70 lumens is plenty bright enough for a small flashlight for general use. I need a new light in my car, anyway, might as well take a look at these.

Toolshed
03-05-2011, 00:06
In the pest control industry expensive flashlights are the rage...My manager walked into the office with what appeared to be an old standard - MAGLIGHT And then he turned it on, blowing away all the kryptonite bulbs and Led kits and previous LED lights that are practically being given away. The deep reflector adds an inch and the weight is a touch above 4oz with batteries, this new MAGLIGHT blows much of the competition away... There is absolutely no need to purchase the older flashlights as the new price point is $16 to $21 dollars. Do not look for this in the check out, retailers are alerted to blow the old ones out.

http://www.maglite.com/aa_Cell_LED.asp
Woo - Last year I picked up a new LED insert for my 3D Maglite, it blew the krytpon bulb away. It shines for almost a 1/4 mile. Are you saying this new technology is even brighter???

mweinstone
03-05-2011, 00:16
does mag stand for magnesium?

Jersey Tim
03-05-2011, 00:41
does mag stand for magnesium?
I wondered that too! Turns out, they're named after company owner and founder Anthony Maglica.

verber
03-05-2011, 19:57
there is no way that the mini mag puts out 67 lumens for 18 hours using 2 AA batteries. That would be more than 2x the run time of the most efficient light sources known to exist today. Likely it's 67 lumens bright when the batteries are fresh, and then the light intensity falls off. I wish all flashlight manufacturers would publish run time graphs like fenix does, so people know what they are getting.

The spot to flood of the maglite is very nice. Personally though, I would rather a light that has full regulation so I get full brightness through the life of the battery, a moonlight output level for in the tent use, abd a bit lighter.

--Mark

Wise Old Owl
03-31-2011, 10:53
Woo - Last year I picked up a new LED insert for my 3D Maglite, it blew the krytpon bulb away. It shines for almost a 1/4 mile. Are you saying this new technology is even brighter???

Huge differences Yes much brighter, 3 watt single LED.

Wise Old Owl
03-31-2011, 10:55
there is no way that the mini mag puts out 67 lumens for 18 hours using 2 AA batteries. That would be more than 2x the run time of the most efficient light sources known to exist today. Likely it's 67 lumens bright when the batteries are fresh, and then the light intensity falls off. I wish all flashlight manufacturers would publish run time graphs like fenix does, so people know what they are getting.

The spot to flood of the maglite is very nice. Personally though, I would rather a light that has full regulation so I get full brightness through the life of the battery, a moonlight output level for in the tent use, abd a bit lighter.

--Mark

Can't argue with you, In our industry they are still peddling $100 flashlights that contain a lithium phone battery and achieve better specs.

This is under $20 and I plan to add them to the car and replace the china junk.

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 21:25
Heads up this light is about to disappear - and jump to $34 in price - the box stores (Lowes and Home Despot) are clearing out the old and most of it was wiped out in the last hurricane that came up the coast. the new version is slim and short by half an inch and quite a bit more... I bought a second one in case I lost the first and had a conversation with a manager, he said it wasn't oop but because I have seen the replacement - you don't want to pay more.....

Best Mag I ever had and blows away the prior halogens in brightness and power.

Kookork
11-29-2011, 22:56
Yep, the new maglights are much brighter than the previous models. Great for a flashlight for your car, particularly with the new lithium batterys that have an extremely long shelf life and work well in the cold.

Here's a light I picked up recently and have it attached to the interior peak of my BA Copper Spur UL1 tent. Two modes...the soft lasts an INCREDIBLE 1200 hours with a lithium nine-volt on soft setting.

http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/31949

After hanging in your tent is it possible to read or write under the soft light or bright one in a one person tent? I like the design and simplicity of it.

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 22:58
You twist the head once and go back and it drops to half power making a very good reading lamp