PDA

View Full Version : Knee Injury - Popiteal, behind knee.

darkage
03-04-2011, 20:46
Anyone experiance a problem with their popiteal muscle, just behind the knee ... I have to go see a orthapeadic doctor to get mine checked, its got me concerned ... just under 12 months before i'm planed to leave for springer ...

Blissful
03-04-2011, 21:20
What kind of problem? You mean as you were walking? or just in general? And I would go to a sports dr if you can. But you can get the initial diagnosis first. Sometimes tight hamstrings can do it. If its acute right now be sure to ice it using ice massage (like ice formed in a styrofoam cup)

mkmangold
03-05-2011, 02:22
What kind of problem? You mean as you were walking? or just in general? And I would go to a sports dr if you can. But you can get the initial diagnosis first. Sometimes tight hamstrings can do it. If its acute right now be sure to ice it using ice massage (like ice formed in a styrofoam cup)

Good advice. As upright apes, human tend to over-work the muscles behind the legs in relation to those in front, whether just standing, walking, or running. Stretching is key as is exercising your anterior muscles (e.g. lunges and lifting sandbags sitting on your toes and dorsiflexing your feet). Ice is good; non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications are good such as ibuprofen, aleve, and aspirin (if you tolerate them). This may save you a trip to the orthopod who may just tell you the same thing anyway.

darkage
03-05-2011, 03:40
I went to the doctor's thursday, i've been having a sharp pain when i bend the knee or straighten it out completely, or if i sit cross legged with the right leg it trigger's it ... its been about a month or so on going ... doctor put it down as popiteal acute knee pain and is sending me to an orthopeadic .... i don't have more info than that ... i''ve tried ice, and i've been givin a soft brace for support untill i get more answers.