PDA

View Full Version : Food Calculations

chasegru
03-04-2011, 21:19
I've recently created a program for aimed at assisting Thru Hikers in planning the logistics behind hiking the Triple Crown trails. Rather than time, these programs focus on calculating the caloric requirements between locations while providing the user with a distance and elevation profile for the selected section. Ideally, the program would be used in planning and drawing from bounce boxes at various resupply points. Full information on is available at www.thruhikercaloriecounter.com.

Additionally I would like to offer readers of this forum a 30% off coupon, as I'm sure I will find your comments and insights invaluable. The coupon code is whiteblaze and will be good through the end of April.

Feel free to reply to send any feedback and thoughts on the program to [email protected]. Thanks!

swjohnsey
03-04-2011, 21:55
You can figure how much food I will need for only fifty bucks?

GeneralLee10
03-04-2011, 23:40
Having not looked at your site. Just reading your post I think this mite be way over thought.

chasegru
03-06-2011, 22:26
I have considered this (especially since the AT has the most resupply points of all the Thru Trails) but I don't think so for two reasons: 1) carrying extra weight is a terrible thing that these programs can help to avoid and 2) the food logistics of a thru hike is the most involved part of planning (especially for those on a time or monetary budget), these programs are designed to make this monumental task a bit more manageable.

chasegru
03-06-2011, 22:27
Point taken. I've dropped the price to $29.95 for the AT Calorie Counter program. With the whiteblaze coupon, that puts it at less than the price of a cheap meal.

chasegru
03-11-2011, 09:24
Just added free demo versions for download, this way anyone can sample the program and provide feedback, without weighing on their wallet.

Skid.
03-20-2011, 21:15
chasegru,
Did this progam work well for you when you did your thru hike?

dragoro
03-20-2011, 21:34
You want people to pay for this? Good luck. It ain't that complicated to figure out how much food you need.

GeneralLee10
03-20-2011, 21:57
You want people to pay for this? Good luck. It ain't that complicated to figure out how much food you need.

Agreed........

LoneRidgeRunner
03-20-2011, 22:12

Really..you simply take some shorter hikes under similar conditions keeping in mind what you ate from day to day...etc... make adjustments...don't think any one's gonna pay for this I certainly ain't

aaronthebugbuffet
03-20-2011, 22:20
Don't underestimate what people will pay for.
Good luck with your work. I think it's a little ridiculous though:rolleyes:

Kalell
03-20-2011, 23:05

Well said, the planning is already intense. With the food drops being key-spend the money on new AT maps.

dragoro
03-20-2011, 23:08
Well said, the planning is already intense. With the food drops being key-spend the money on new AT maps.

YA don't even need a map. It's blatantly marked.

dragoro
03-20-2011, 23:09
Only intense planning for AT is taking care of stuff at home. AT is simple, just hike.