PDA

View Full Version : Saloman trail runners

nitegaunt
03-05-2011, 02:08
I just bought a pair of these today and I went a half size up since my last boots gave me some trouble in the toe area on a lot of downhill stretches. My question is, these fit a little loosely in the heel. I tried the half size down and they had the same play in the heel area but otherwise I love the feel of them. Should I keep them or return them? Do you think this heel thing will give me trouble with blisters? I haven't used a trail runner before so I don't know how they are supposed to fit.

Helios
03-05-2011, 08:58
Getting the 1/2 size bigger is a good idea as your feet will swell a slight bit after continuously being on them, especially with a little extra weight, aka your pack.

The heel should not be loose however. This is not a good fit and will rub blisters. My wife has a narrow heal and has a very hard time finding a shoe that will fit her. What works for me, which Salomon's have in the past, did not work for her.

When trying on trail runners, as in boots, don't just walk around the store on flat area but try to simulate up and down hills. The down hill will let you feel out the toe area, and the up the heel.

Hope this helps! After 10 marathons and tons of backpacking, I've worn more than my share of trail runners!

bigcranky
03-05-2011, 09:42
Try jamming your heel into the back of the shoe and tightening the laces a little more on downhill sections. Not too tight, but enough to keep your feet from sliding forward.

I like my Salomons.

Del Q
03-05-2011, 10:16
Two ideas, super feet (there is a honeymoon period) helps to keep my heels down tighter, the specific idea I would share is google "runners knot", this has DEFINITELY helps to keep my heels down. Agree with 1/2 size bigger for sure, on that note, soaking your bare feet down-stream is a great and simple ice bath at the end of the day.

seminoles
03-05-2011, 11:04
Try this website from Runners world, scroll down to your specfic problem.
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

nitegaunt
03-05-2011, 13:02
Thanks for the input everyone. If I cinch them up tighter it helps a bit but I don't want to make them too tight. I think I will try the insoles but I can't seem to find super feet in any stores around here.

Singletrack
03-05-2011, 13:52
I just bought a pair of these today and I went a half size up since my last boots gave me some trouble in the toe area on a lot of downhill stretches. My question is, these fit a little loosely in the heel. I tried the half size down and they had the same play in the heel area but otherwise I love the feel of them. Should I keep them or return them? Do you think this heel thing will give me trouble with blisters? I haven't used a trail runner before so I don't know how they are supposed to fit.

I have worn Salomon Trail Runners for years. Currnently wear the Wings version now. In my opinion, buy your right size. With a one size larger, your foot is going to move around. With a larger size, it will be hard to get the heel to set tight, thus causing your foot to move foward, causing runners toe. I wear my correct size, along with Super Feet insert. Also, wear Injinji toe socks as a liner, and Smartwool socks. This sets my heel firmly, with no foward foot moving. My feet might swell some, but never has been a problem. Experiment with tightnest of your shoe strings.

nitegaunt
03-05-2011, 15:37
Well, I took them out for a hike today around Watauga Dam area to see how they felt. It seems like I can pretty much stop the heel movement by cinching them up but it's too tight for comfort. So I guess I'm going to give some inserts a try. I wear smartwools for hiking but I haven't tried a liner. The shoestring thing takes a little getting used to on these. I think they will work out though when I get some insoles.