PDA

View Full Version : Pack weight

Lazy Maintenance Man
03-05-2011, 06:55
As my start date of 3/12 creeps closer, I find myself playing with my gear more and more. I finally weighed my pack with my bathroom scale and it weighs 31 pounds with 4-5 days food and a little water. Having a low pack weight can be a game to some and I often see a lot of bragging to go with it. My goal was to carry 30 lbs. or less, because it allows me to carry everything I want and it seems to be comfortable to me. I was just curious how I compare to others starting this year. Not that it matters but, has anyone else weighed their pack?

HoneyBear
03-05-2011, 07:40
Your pack weight is less than the average person starting out. You mentioned it allows you to carry everything you "want". I might post a gear list up here so some of the more experienced hikers here can let you know if you are carrying everything you need. 30 pounds is great until you run into a late March freezing rain storm in the Smokies and realize you may not be as prepared as you thought you were.

Firefighter503
03-05-2011, 08:28
My pack weight (includes all of my clothes in this weight) is right at about 20 lbs minus food/water, but doesn't include cell phone, iPod, camera, and chargers yet. I'm happy with it.

Lazy Maintenance Man
03-05-2011, 08:32
I'm at 22 lbs. without food and water, that is prob. a better number to give than with food water.

pops c
03-05-2011, 08:56
"30 pounds is great until you run into a late March freezing rain storm in the Smokies and realize you may not be as prepared as you thought you were." Well said Honeybear.

:-?

garlic08
03-05-2011, 09:49
"30 pounds is great until you run into a late March freezing rain storm in the Smokies and realize you may not be as prepared as you thought you were." Well said Honeybear.

I also agree, except I would also consider that "being prepared" has little to do with what you put in your pack.

A hike in a spring blizzard in the Smokies is definitely one of the benchmarks I use. Some can hike comfortably with a tarp and a good down bag, a few pounds of food and little else if they have the experience to stay dry and set up a safe, protected camp. Others have to bail out into town with their thirty pound packs, soaked with freezing rain and sweat, thirty pounds overweight and out of shape, with blistered and/or frostbitten feet. I saw both in the Smokies on my thru hike. Gear is only part of it.

I agree a thirty pound load is lighter than average and a good place to start, but it can't possibly tell the whole story. As you gain trail experience it will probably change. I think very few end up with the gear they started with. You may even find out you're not carrying enough for your style and experience, or for the conditions in a certain season.

swjohnsey
03-05-2011, 10:01
Cutting back the food by a day will get you to your 30 pound goal.

My load without food and water is around 12 pounds but I have plenty of gear to survive any conditions I might encounter, plus one piece of luxury gear I carry is a AM/FM/weather band radio.

Life is a compromise. If it gets really cold I'm sure I will envy the guy who has a zero degree bag.

Sassafras Lass
03-05-2011, 10:08
As my start date of 3/12 creeps closer, I find myself playing with my gear more and more. I finally weighed my pack with my bathroom scale and it weighs 31 pounds with 4-5 days food and a little water. Having a low pack weight can be a game to some and I often see a lot of bragging to go with it. My goal was to carry 30 lbs. or less, because it allows me to carry everything I want and it seems to be comfortable to me. I was just curious how I compare to others starting this year. Not that it matters but, has anyone else weighed their pack?

Are you having as hard a time as I am waiting? I never expected to be this anxious! :)

I'm right around 20 lbs before food/H2O. Frankly, I'm a bit bummed, I had hoped to be closer to 15 lbs. That would require less toiletries than I want to use, as well as finding a new pack and sleeping bag, neither of which I'm willing to do.

crazystick
03-05-2011, 10:17
I have a final "skin out" pack weight just a little under yours with food and water for three days, so close to yours. I think your packweight is great and you should be very happy with that. 30 pounds with food and water for 4-5 days is a good way to start your hike I expect. Have fun and hope to see you out there! I start I'm 14 days.

Torch09
03-05-2011, 14:43
My pack weight with 5 days of food is about 17 lbs. Not bragging, but you asked. :)

I've hiked most of the trail before and have extensively tested all my new gear, so I am confident with my choices. I like what Garlic said about experience. You can have all the best gear but still have problems if you don't know how to use it. Luckily, the AT is a forgiving trail, in that gear failure is not a death sentence. You'll be with a crowd and have many chances to resupply.

Wolf - 23000
03-05-2011, 19:37
I carry a very light pack but I do it more because I'm more comfortable not carrying so much extra things that I really don't need. The more I add to my pack the more I feel I'm taking away from the nature experience. If your goal is to carry a 30 pound backpack then do it. It is a lot better than myself when I first started and didn't know the different between camping and backpacking. After a couple of miles I learn the different.

The most important is just go out there and have fun at it.

Wolf

tirebiter
03-05-2011, 19:44
About 35 here with 4-5 days food. But I carry some luxuries and I'm a pretty big guy anyway. Never minded it before.

QuarterPounder
03-05-2011, 20:01
Pack weights are all over the board, but I'd say you're in decent shape in the low to mid 30's. Some go ultra light and are below that. Others, myself included, carry a bit more.

I carried a few extra comfort items, a 2 person tent, and a few extra layers starting March 12th last year. I'm glad I did as we hit some nasty weather.

I weighed in at Amicalola at 44lbs which really concerned me. Turned out to be just fine... I carried everything until Virginia, then dropped some of the cold weather stuff, etc.

I didn't bother with weighing the pack again. Didn't want to know. :)

Happy Trails, best of luck to you.

QP

TheChop
03-05-2011, 20:12
You're right at me. I'm sitting 19 without food and water which goes up to 28 or so depending on food and water.

As long as you're not doing something crazy like 45 before food and water you'll be in good shape. When I started hiking I probably was hitting 40-45 with food and water. Dropping 10-15 pounds makes me weight seem negligible.

shaggy2004
03-05-2011, 20:16
My pack weight with 5 days of food is about 17 lbs. Not bragging, but you asked. :)

@ Torch09

Haha, my 5 days of food is about 17 lbs.

Maybe I should start giving weight this way. 5 days of food 17 lbs. - w/gear, 25 lbs.

10-K
03-05-2011, 21:13
I was out the door yesterday with everything I needed to stay out for 2 days in 35* and rain weather and my pack weighed 14 lbs, fully loaded and I didn't need anything I didn't have.

3 years ago, the same trip I would have had a 30 lb pack.

I think the tipping point for me was realizing that I was out to hike, not to camp.

It is *so* much more fun to hike with a light pack than a heavy one. As long as I can get warm, full, and out of the weather I've got everything I need.

art gypsy
03-06-2011, 15:15
I thought my pack weight was 31 Lbs including a professional camera body and accessories and 5 days food. Then I realized that I had forgotten to pack two of the most essential items-my hammock and neoair. I will try to repack as I would like to stay under 35 Lbs. I know that it will be a lot lighter once I can send the winter gear home like the microspikes.

GiganticMermaid
03-06-2011, 15:24

Ehh I don't agree. I have a 11.5lb base weight, which includes rain jacket, rain pants, even a poncho to go with that if I so choose. Pack liner, and a pack cover, shell mitts, down jacket, 2 sleeping bags.

I think I'd be okay. Just sayin.

George
03-06-2011, 16:00
your weight is fine, go on out and start, if you get halfway you will 90% sure be carrying less than the 30 # goal, if you do not get that far it will not be the pack weight that stopped you and the obsession with gear weight vs food/water etc total is overdone if your gear is light but food is heavy, you still may have skills to work on (this is my problem) try this exercise: go across town to an unfamiliar grocery store, spend a 4 day hiking budget on food(if you have a total hike limit of 3000 this would be less than 40$) try to do this in about 30 minutes including getting it all in the pack, now what does the pack weigh? next eat this food and only this food for the next 4 days

Trailbender
03-06-2011, 16:39
Your pack weight is less than the average person starting out. You mentioned it allows you to carry everything you "want". I might post a gear list up here so some of the more experienced hikers here can let you know if you are carrying everything you need. 30 pounds is great until you run into a late March freezing rain storm in the Smokies and realize you may not be as prepared as you thought you were.

For a 30 lb pack weight, you should be able to carry all you need. That isn't exactly a light pack. I think mine is around 30, with 5 or so days of food, and that includes a winter pad, 0 degree bag, and enough clothing to sit comfortably in camp down to 20 or so(polypro, thermal bottoms, rain gear, double layer wool socks, thick hat, neck gaiter).

Freedom Walker
03-06-2011, 16:42
Question: Wouldn't a 30-35 lb pack with food and water for 4-5 days be a good target for someone who is taller and bigger? A smaller person would have a harder time with this weight and need to keep their weight down. What I am saying is this. I am a large person. My clothing, boots, sleeping bag are larger to accommodate my large size and I perfer a 2 man tent for the extra room. I could spend a few hundred dollars and drop 3 or 4 lbs.

HoneyBear
03-06-2011, 17:34
Question: Wouldn't a 30-35 lb pack with food and water for 4-5 days be a good target for someone who is taller and bigger? A smaller person would have a harder time with this weight and need to keep their weight down. What I am saying is this. I am a large person. My clothing, boots, sleeping bag are larger to accommodate my large size and I perfer a 2 man tent for the extra room. I could spend a few hundred dollars and drop 3 or 4 lbs.I have a friend hiking now that couldn't agree more. To see Navy Seals, hardened Marines, and other strong, fit, healthy men obsessing about getting their pack weight down under 30 pounds or much less in some cases, strikes a humorous chord when you see 100 pound girls hiking up and down mountains doing 15 mile plus days every day just as happy as can be with their 40 plus pound packs. There is nothing wrong with wanting to get you pack weight down. My friend's pack weight hovers around 50 pounds when hiking long distance. Like you he carries a 2 person tent along with some things ULers would never even consider. He frequently does 20 mile days and will often outhike people carrying 1/2 that weight he does. It all depends upon the individual I guess. Take what you see here and use it as it applies to you. Process the info and decide for yourself. .

NCcummins
03-06-2011, 23:28
I'm at 38lbs with food and water. I may be heavier than most but also have some "luxury" items with me.

TheChop
03-09-2011, 14:39
Question: Wouldn't a 30-35 lb pack with food and water for 4-5 days be a good target for someone who is taller and bigger? A smaller person would have a harder time with this weight and need to keep their weight down. What I am saying is this. I am a large person. My clothing, boots, sleeping bag are larger to accommodate my large size and I perfer a 2 man tent for the extra room. I could spend a few hundred dollars and drop 3 or 4 lbs.

30-35 lbs with food and water is a great pack weight in my opinion. I'm down to 28lbs but that was only by spending a good amount of coin replacing things that I didn't really have to. I hiked with 40-45 total when I started out and can definitely hoof it but the lighter is better. At some point it becomes a trade off between being comfortable in camp and being comfortable on the trail. Losing 8 ounces by dropping reading material would make it easier to hike but leave me bored stiff in camp. Going with a small tent would leave me uncomfortable at night and give me less sleep but be easier to hike with. It seems with the right choices you can do a 17-22lb base weight without making too many sacrifices and if you've got a big frame to carry it you won't have any problems.

HoorayCookies
03-09-2011, 17:27
I think I'll be fine with my probably 34-38 lb pack (depending on the amt of food), and I'm 5'1". I have some luxury items, and I started out with a pack that's too big (at least it's a golite!) that I'm unwilling to spend money to replace at this point. It's 21 lbs dry now, with about 1-2 more lbs worth of things about to be shoved into it. I can whittle if i need to, but this weight is enough to make me stronger, but likely not high enough to damage myself. You, as a tall (and presumably more in-shape) man should be fine! Happy hiking!

takethisbread
03-14-2011, 16:20
I think I'll be fine with my probably 34-38 lb pack (depending on the amt of food), and I'm 5'1". I have some luxury items, and I started out with a pack that's too big (at least it's a golite!) that I'm unwilling to spend money to replace at this point. It's 21 lbs dry now, with about 1-2 more lbs worth of things about to be shoved into it. I can whittle if i need to, but this weight is enough to make me stronger, but likely not high enough to damage myself. You, as a tall (and presumably more in-shape) man should be fine! Happy hiking!

try to whittle that weight down. honestly with such a late start like you are doing, i'd probably be leaving Springer with a 20lb pack including food. i guess you will figure it out on the way (or rather those excruciating Georgian climbs will figure it out for you). I'd hate for you to haul 38lbs out of the gate, but, women tend to carry stuff id never consider.

I tend to only carry essentials and learn to live without the rest:
Bag
tent
Extra layer or two (top only)
3 pairs socks
food (3 meals for every 15 miles of trail)
pad
phone
lighter
stove
1 extra pair undies

and beer of course, but you knew that:D

Trailbender
03-22-2011, 08:14
I have a friend hiking now that couldn't agree more. To see Navy Seals, hardened Marines, and other strong, fit, healthy men obsessing about getting their pack weight down under 30 pounds or much less in some cases, strikes a humorous chord when you see 100 pound girls hiking up and down mountains doing 15 mile plus days every day just as happy as can be with their 40 plus pound packs. There is nothing wrong with wanting to get you pack weight down. My friend's pack weight hovers around 50 pounds when hiking long distance. Like you he carries a 2 person tent along with some things ULers would never even consider. He frequently does 20 mile days and will often outhike people carrying 1/2 that weight he does. It all depends upon the individual I guess. Take what you see here and use it as it applies to you. Process the info and decide for yourself. .

And the military has a 15% discharge rate for problems directly related to carrying too much weight. I was one of them. Severe lower leg stress fractures, tiny fractures in my tibias from too much weight and shock impacts. People I knew in the Army had knee problems, back problems, ect, especially the older ones.

58starter
03-22-2011, 08:17
I am ready to go with 4 day of food and no water yet, 32lbs.

FritztheCat
03-22-2011, 08:33
34lbs here with food (4 days) and water (4 liters). Can't say it's "comfortable" to carry because going without a pack would be comfortable, but it does ride easy. :D

aag1961
03-22-2011, 10:17
I am starting out at Springer and I am at 31 pounds with food no water. I will be out for about 5 nights. I think you will be fine

Tinker
03-22-2011, 10:29
I weighed mine at the ranger station at the beginning of the approach trail. It was 36 lbs. That was with 6 days worth of food and not my traditional frameless pack (which weighs 14 oz). The pack I carried for that trip was close to 6 lbs. (I needed the extra capacity for the March trip). I could easily have continued north from the Ga/NC border if I had planned a thru. Except for food I had all I needed for the first month or two (bag and tent were actually a little warmer than I needed).
Thirty+ pounds is a good start unless you're used to going lighter.

jima59
03-25-2011, 06:40
Why not eat two days of food the first day to reduce the weight? Seems that so many people complain about not having enough to eat and losing weight. Force yourself to eat two dinners and snack all day. I look at the food weight as expendable very quickly after the first few miles.

TheYoungOne
03-28-2011, 09:21

I came to that realization myself. I'm 6'2" so I need a "Long" bag, pad and tent. I was never in the Military, but I'm ok with hiking with a 38lb to 40lb pack. I can drop 5 pounds or more, but that would involve upgrading gear that would cost hundreds of dollars, and abandoning some things that makes my stay outdoors comfortable.

skooch
03-28-2011, 10:46
I did 10miles of the Fla Trail Saturday just to see what fully loaded w/5days food would be like. pack weight, 35 lbs included 2 full waterbadders. I am 5'5", 50yrs old and 40lbs overweight. I made 3 stops totaling maybe an hour to eat something and check my feet. I am carrying a 2 man tent, sleeping bag, inflatable pad as well as a book to read and journal. I could probably lighten my pack weight but feel that sleeping comfortably is a must. Because body weight will decrease and strength will increase I feel this is not too shabby.
TAKETHISBREAD I'm liking your 3meals for every 15miles ratio

Trailbender
03-28-2011, 11:13
I did 10miles of the Fla Trail Saturday just to see what fully loaded w/5days food would be like. pack weight, 35 lbs included 2 full waterbadders. I am 5'5", 50yrs old and 40lbs overweight. I made 3 stops totaling maybe an hour to eat something and check my feet. I am carrying a 2 man tent, sleeping bag, inflatable pad as well as a book to read and journal. I could probably lighten my pack weight but feel that sleeping comfortably is a must. Because body weight will decrease and strength will increase I feel this is not too shabby.
TAKETHISBREAD I'm liking your 3meals for every 15miles ratio

Well, the AT is much more brutal terrain wise, what you are fine with on the FT might be too much weight for the AT, probably will be, actually.

skooch
03-28-2011, 12:07
Yes I agree. I don't expect to do 10 miles a day at first and expect a lot more breaks for the 1st week or so. I guess I'll know, like everybody else, when I hit Neel's Gap. The flatness of Florida is not a challenge unless you try to hike in the summer (don't advise it at all). Most of the time we have to carry a lot more water and food before resupply than on the AT so my pack weight should be right at 30lbs for the mountains.

topshelf
03-28-2011, 12:13
31 sounds like a great weight, don't let anyone convince you otherwise, even yourself. HYOH

Blissful
03-28-2011, 12:58
Shouldn't need two full water bladders to hike with. Plenty of sources.

Old Hiker
03-28-2011, 13:00
Skooch,

We tell our Scouts when practicing for our section hikes that 5 miles in FL is 1 mile in the mountains.

form
03-28-2011, 16:41
:sun when i first started this year my pack was 40 and killing me,i put my pack on a diet she's now 30 or so with food and 3 L water i hope to hike on the trail some this spring but if not i'm staying fit hiking here on the flats almost every day.happy hiking

skooch
03-28-2011, 18:40
Skooch,

We tell our Scouts when practicing for our section hikes that 5 miles in FL is 1 mile in the mountains.

good to know. I'll calculate accordingly

Fxhorse9
03-28-2011, 23:15
I am at 24-26 pounds for 6 nights, water food and all. the longest section hike I have done and my pack has been dieting a lot. The pack weights in at 6 pounds. When I first started section hiking I felt good with 35 LOL how did i do it.

skooch
03-29-2011, 16:06
I could lighten up more as others have suggested with tarps and such but I REALLY want to bed down in the privacy of a tent with a cushy BA air core and sleeping bag. Reworked a few things last night but my pack weight is still 20 lbs before food and water. I'm too wussy to be UL

dragoro
03-29-2011, 17:56
Shouldn't need to carry anywhere near 3 liters of water at one time, at least through the southern section.

skooch
03-29-2011, 18:15
Thank God. I'm using AWOL's guide and it looks like there will be an opportunity to fill my 1.5 Lt camelback several times between shelters. Along with a gatoraide bottle I should be way better off than on the FT. Can't wait to get out there!

RockDoc
03-29-2011, 19:41
A light pack is nice, but risky without a lot of experience.
I suggest that if this is your first long backpacking trip. you should carry a few extra items dedicated to warmth, dryness, and comfort.
Then as you get more experience try to do with less.

Don't hike on the "stupid side of light"

skooch
03-29-2011, 21:00
One of the best quotes ever! "Don't hike on the stupid side of light" RockDock

shaman.in.a.yurt
03-30-2011, 20:06
Right now I'm looking at about 14lbs base weight (no food/H2O), looking to shave another lb or 2 if possible... then add on about 1.75lb of food/day, plus water. I hope to keep it under or in the low 20's when its all said and done

garlic08
03-30-2011, 20:39
Right now I'm looking at about 14lbs base weight (no food/H2O), looking to shave another lb or 2 if possible... then add on about 1.75lb of food/day, plus water. I hope to keep it under or in the low 20's when its all said and done

I like the "stupid side of light" quote too. Go carefully.

My first lightweight hike was in the 14 - 15 pound base weight range. It took a couple more seasons to get to the 10 pound range, slowly, with many miles of hiking. Part of that was investing in a high quality sleeping bag, but most was just leaving extra stuff behind that I wasn't using, substituting experience for gear. Then finally I got in the range of the lightest silnylon packs (20# max load) and that cut a lot of weight.

I haven't cut any more weight in the last few years--I think I'm bottomed out at my safety level for my experience and strength. I can't do the kind of miles that the lightest hikers can do, the ones who can hike 100 miles with one night out, even if I carried nothing.

Wolf - 23000
03-31-2011, 04:42

Freedom Walker,

I'm 6'2 just over 200 pounds, in good shape. I won't want to carry that much. I carry less than half of that without any problems.

Wolf

Freedom Walker
03-31-2011, 05:39
Freedom Walker,

I'm 6'2 just over 200 pounds, in good shape. I won't want to carry that much. I carry less than half of that without any problems.

Wolf
Wolf, I don't want to carry that much either, but to replace my tent, pack, sleeping bag with lighter weight versions saving 4-5 lbs would cost me 500-600 dollars. I was once a 45-50 lb person and have dropped a lot since then and I am looking closely at everything, but I have the basic gear I have and will need to be content for now.

garlic08
03-31-2011, 08:25
Wolf, I don't want to carry that much either, but to replace my tent, pack, sleeping bag with lighter weight versions saving 4-5 lbs would cost me 500-600 dollars. I was once a 45-50 lb person and have dropped a lot since then and I am looking closely at everything, but I have the basic gear I have and will need to be content for now.

When something wears out or otherwise comes up for replacement, you can drop the weight then. That's what I did over several years, and actually saved money in the process. My light pack cost less than what I was spending on heavier packs (see Gossamer Gear, for example). My light shelter ($200 Contrail) cost far less than a $300+ Hubba. I was really lucky and found my Marmot Helium bag on steepandcheap.com for less than $200 (half price). Going light does not have to be more expensive, if you have time to shop and especially if you wear out (or sell) your old gear and need new stuff anyway.

One year I sold my 20-year-old steel ice axe for $75 on eBay, and turned around and bought a 7-oz aluminum job (for my PCT thru) for $60. That was a over a pound saved that actually netted me a decent town meal.

shaman.in.a.yurt
03-31-2011, 12:57
I like the "stupid side of light" quote too. Go carefully.

For sure. I may be young, but I have a good amount of experience under my belt considering... I still feel like I'm over-packed because its been fairly cold lately here in IL. Ready to head down south to the land of the pines and follow that warm air north to ME!

tjforrester
04-25-2011, 19:16

30 lbs isn't bad for a new thru-hiker, wish I had a comparable weight the first time I began a thru-hike.

This year, I started with 17 lbs, no food or water. I have everything I need and nothing I don't, have the gear to stay comfortable in the worst of weather, will drop an additional 5 lbs when it gets warmer and I don't need the extra layers. My core pack weight is a couple pounds more than it once was, but that's because I'm older and cannot hike 30 miles a day to stay warm.