PDA

View Full Version : Hunting dogs on the trail

steve hiker
01-09-2005, 17:19
How do Whiteblazers feel about hunting dogs on the AT? I did a section in December and saw several hunting dogs on the trail one morning, including several that got off course and came into the shelter looking for food and pats on the head. They were well behaved and friendly enough, although one or two of them tried to grab my baggies with spare clothes.

SiuWonfung
01-09-2005, 17:30
do you mean hunting dogs like with dogs used to hunt or hunting dogs like in hunting deer?

Youngblood
01-09-2005, 17:33
How do Whiteblazers feel about hunting dogs on the AT? I did a section in December and saw several hunting dogs on the trail one morning, including several that got off course and came into the shelter looking for food and pats on the head. They were well behaved and friendly enough, although one or two of them tried to grab my baggies with spare clothes.I think its great that hunters, dayhikers, weekenders, etc let us long distance hikers share the trail with them.

Youngblood

Lone Wolf
01-09-2005, 17:55
Damn right Youngblood! :)

Bloodroot
01-09-2005, 22:42
do you mean hunting dogs like with dogs used to hunt or hunting dogs like in hunting deer?
Same thing. It's just a matter of legality. While hunting and I see dogs chasing deer it quickly turns into a dog hunt.:D

TDale
01-09-2005, 23:04
Nothing wrong with hunting dogs. Good recipes are hard to come by, though.

steve hiker
01-10-2005, 01:29
I mean themn dogs was being used to hunt something, I heard them baying and running in big numbers for a good hour or two after daybreak, then I started seeing several of them running up and down the trail by the shelter, and some of them noticed the shelter and came up and sniffed around and looked up on the table for food (I hung my food when I seen em coming) and wanted a pat on the head and usually after a few minutes they'd stop and listen real intently and go bounding off to rejoin their buddies somewhere.

Pencil Pusher
01-10-2005, 01:31
I think he meant coon dogs, but good humor still:)

Bloodroot
01-10-2005, 11:27
I mean themn dogs was being used to hunt something, I heard them baying and running in big numbers for a good hour or two after daybreak, then I started seeing several of them running up and down the trail by the shelter, and some of them noticed the shelter and came up and sniffed around and looked up on the table for food (I hung my food when I seen em coming) and wanted a pat on the head and usually after a few minutes they'd stop and listen real intently and go bounding off to rejoin their buddies somewhere.
Alot of die hard coon hunters will take their dogs out in the summer for collar training.

MOWGLI
01-10-2005, 11:53
I had a couple of hunting dogs approach me on the Alabama Pinhoti in December. I called to them, but they were pretty shy and turned around and ran away up the trail.

In Maine I had a lost hunting dog follow me from Pierce Pond almost all the way to the Kennebec River. He wouldn't let me get closer than about 10', but as soon as I'd start hiking, he'd follow me.

rickb
01-10-2005, 16:06
Not just coon, but black bear.

As I understand it a bear is easier to shoot when it is run up a tree.

Not as easy as easy as having a guide lead you to a donut dump. Much more sporting.

One of the pleasures of going SOBO is having the chance to witness this part of Americana, though they hunt this way in MAine, too.

Rick B

BlackCloud
01-11-2005, 12:00
Came across a lost hunting dog w/ collar last fall in the James River Wilderness Area, just south of the, yea, James River. He was very shy for some time, but followed me for 8 miles. Being a good sniffer, he knew where the switchbacks were & just cut across them, often saving himself .1 or 1/4 mile. He was always very confused why I didn't follow him, as he'd wait for me to round the bend & then seemingly dart off into the woods to the next nearest pt in the trail.

This continued until we reached the James Rvr pedestiran bridge. B/c it has iron grated stairs, he wouldn't go, & that was the end of our little hike together...........