PDA

View Full Version : Pork: No Longer 'The Other White Meat'?

WingedMonkey
03-05-2011, 14:32
"After more than two decades of being known as "The Other White Meat," the old pork motto is headed for the proverbial smokehouse. The National Pork Board unveiled a new slogan -- "Pork: Be Inspired" -- and a new $11 million ad campaign that will launch this spring."

Save the Spam, rescue the Deviled Ham, Cover Matthewski in bacon. :sun

Hikes in Rain
03-05-2011, 17:31
North Dakota Brand Weasel: The other yellow meat!

Bronk
03-05-2011, 17:59
The other, other white meat:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/e5a7/

Papa D
03-05-2011, 18:30
How about NO meat - I eat Seitan Bars by the dozen on the trail - for me TOFU is the other white "meat" - being a southern boy from Atlanta, I was probably least likely to "go veg" -a hot girl I liked back in the day was vegetarian and I tried it - she's long gone, but for whatever reason, I've been at it for over 20 years - it's just so simple to me - I'm not preachy or pushy or anything - and once in a blue moon, I might eat a little fish someone caught too, but for the trail, I hike my own hike meat free.

hikerboy57
03-05-2011, 18:52
porkfat rules!!

WingedMonkey
03-05-2011, 18:59
How about NO meat - I eat Seitan Bars by the dozen on the trail - for me TOFU is the other white "meat" - being a southern boy from Atlanta, I was probably least likely to "go veg" -a hot girl I liked back in the day was vegetarian and I tried it - she's long gone, but for whatever reason, I've been at it for over 20 years - it's just so simple to me - I'm not preachy or pushy or anything - and once in a blue moon, I might eat a little fish someone caught too, but for the trail, I hike my own hike meat free.

I've used Tofu (shelf stable) and TVP on the trail for short trips. But you ain't gonna find them or Seitanin in most trail towns on long hikes. :sun
But...not gonna hold you down and make you eat animals either not even dead fish. :D

Papa D
03-05-2011, 19:21
mmm - I did a whole thru-hike meat free - ate a lot of beans, rice, and dehydrated veggies and peanut butter - yes, tofu was scarce except what I got from mail drops, but it can be done and people do do it.

WingedMonkey
03-05-2011, 19:30
"Pork: Be Inspired"

Bonjour
03-05-2011, 22:23
SPAM: Everything but the squeal!

JaxHiker
03-07-2011, 15:14
I'm always inspired to eat bacon. ;)

nufsaid
03-07-2011, 15:25

I dated a hot vegetarian girl my first semester in college. She was lots of fun and tasted great. I have fond memories of her, but I never wavered from the carnivore path.

Not Sunshine
03-07-2011, 16:46
speaking of bacon...I will never fry it on the stove top again - after I learned how to bake it in the oven. 1000 times cleaner, less smoke, and tastier!

line baking sheet with foil.
place bacon on foil.
put into a COLD oven and turn to 400F.
bake until golden brown (about 10-15 minutes depending on your oven).
remove and place bacon on towel to absorb grease.

i allowed grease to cool/solidify on foil, and then cleanup was a breeze.

fry eggs in cast iron skillet. :-p my arteries sing! haha

SassyWindsor
03-07-2011, 22:44
Pippin: "The salted pork is particularly good." Gimli: "Salted pork?"

WingedMonkey
03-07-2011, 22:58
speaking of bacon...I will never fry it on the stove top again - after I learned how to bake it in the oven. 1000 times cleaner, less smoke, and tastier!

line baking sheet with foil.
place bacon on foil.
put into a COLD oven and turn to 400F.
bake until golden brown (about 10-15 minutes depending on your oven).
remove and place bacon on towel to absorb grease.

i allowed grease to cool/solidify on foil, and then cleanup was a breeze.

fry eggs in cast iron skillet. :-p my arteries sing! haha

Also works with parchment paper, more grease to clean up but gives a nice crisp to it.