PDA

View Full Version : New Outdoor Product Packs

Mtn Scout
03-05-2011, 17:35
was at wally world today and i always swing through camping section. outdoor products have 2 new packs out and i am very impressed. i already have the skyline 8.0 and its awesome for the money. the 2 they have now one is called the gama 8.0 and i cant remember what the other one is but here are some specs on the 2. one is 2300 ci and looks more like a backpack. the other one is 3300 ci and weighs around 2lbs. i took my gregory z50 back in today to compare the 2. overall its almost same size as z pack but its lighter, has 7 pockets, has main zip access, super cool air channel for your back. the best news its 49.99. i am going back tomorrow and getting one. did not know if anyone else has one of these.

stranger
03-06-2011, 07:50
I'm assuming this is either a joke or you are very, very new to backpacking.

I seriously doubt anyone on here uses an Outdoor Products backpack for anything other than going to class or the gym, there is a reason for that.

Educate yourself about products before you make decisions...it will save you alot of money in the long run.

tdoczi
03-06-2011, 08:42
funny story, about 7 years ago i decided i wanted to do an overnight trip at the grand canyon and needed a backpack. figured itd be a one time use thing so i didnt want to spend a lot of money, so i picked up an outdoors products pack for about $100 at sports authority. still using it. it holds stuff and goes on my back, i dont see the need to replace it. its been to montana, its been to yosemite, its been across the white mountains and elsewhere on the AT. would i try and use it for weeks on end? maybe not, but weekend trips its perfectly fine.

Helios
03-06-2011, 09:56
Stranger is obviously not a fan of these packs! WoW!

When it comes to gear there really is no wrong answer, only opinions. If you wish to try this pack out, for that price it's no real loss if it doesn't work out for you. There may be better packs on the market, but it's what ever works for you that counts.

I've seen many packs on the trail that I would never even consider carrying. The owners of these packs seemed happy with them, so who am I too say anything about it?

Reality, gear may make things easier, but it's you that makes the hike. Of course you want to have reliable gear. So when trying something new like a pack or tent, go out in an area where you are close enough to bail if it fails on you. Great way to test something out, and still be safe and have a great time. I really enjoy my short gear test hikes. They give me the confidence when I head out on longer hikes that I know I'll enjoy and have what I need that works for me!

Rocket Jones
03-06-2011, 11:26
I use an Outdoor Products Skyline 8 for day hikes and it's fine for the purpose. It's held up nicely too over many miles on many hikes.

harryfred
03-06-2011, 15:47
I have a bunch of Outdoor Products, and Coleman Max stuff I got from Wally World. I have had no problems with any of it except in the Coleman Max tend to be a little over done and end a bit on the heavy side, but just a bit. The Outdoor Products tend to be very basic but work well. I'd say for that price you can't go wrong If it turns out to be a piece of crap right it off to an education. If it works for you smile politely and nod as some one tells you how much better their $300 whatever is:p
To be fair I am slowly replacing some of my gear for lighter more compact better preforming gear, read more expensive. I have a lot of miles/time out there because of cheap and homemade gear. I would not have had, had I waited to afford "The good stuff", and the cheap stuff even what turned out bad taught me more about what works for me so as I buy better gear I get more value.:banana

daddytwosticks
03-06-2011, 16:54
Agree w/Helios and I consider myself semi-educated. My Outdoor Products daypack from WalMart has served me well on several dayhikes. :)

BigHodag
03-06-2011, 20:34
I've been using an Outdoor Products Arrowhead 8.0 backpack that I bought at WalMart for $30. Liked it so well I bought two more, so family members can backpack with me.

I couldn't afford to build three sets of backpacking gear buying top of the line, name brand gear. Gear lists here at WB generally run over $500 and closer to $1000. Thanks to OP, I can build very lightweight backpacking "kits" for less then $200 complete.

I used the Outdoor Products Arrowhead 8.0 backpack for a two week section of the AT last year and it performed well. Met several other hikers using the same pack along the way.

I have also used OP's trekking poles and they have held up well. Good value for $13 each. OP's $9 2-liter hydration bladder is also a good value.

jayoung
03-06-2011, 21:01
dont be snobs people, you started out somewhere and im sure no hitech hiker gave you a hard time.

thelowend
03-06-2011, 21:53
Yeah... who gives a rats a$$ what gear other people use? If it works it works! Shame on ya for a close minded, insolent post.

BigFoot2002
03-06-2011, 22:25
Great post BigHodag.

vibbertations
03-06-2011, 23:16
I finally threw my Outdoor Products pack out last week. I've had it for 12 or so years. It started out as a school backpack, went into heavy rotation as an overnight/rappelling backpack, back to a school backpack for my roommate in college, to a dayhike pack. I'm no longer in school, I've got a weekend pack, I no longer rappel, and I got a day pack last year so I no longer needed it. Almost had to wipe away a tear when it went to Goodwill! Oh, almost forgot...that pack seen several caves before I finally got a Lost Creek pack which was also way back in the day!

DapperD
03-06-2011, 23:37
I have an Outdoor Products Saturn External Frame Backpack:http://salestores.com/outdoorp.html that I do not believe are even listed as being manufactured anymore on the Outdoor Products site. I bought it awhile ago and planned to take it on my thru-hike (still planning to). I only paid like $60 dollars for it but it is a large, rugged, and surprisingly comfortable pack. I used it doing practice hikes loaded with my gear (around 35 pounds) and it is very comfortable. I believe it is just under 5000 ci, and even though a little heavy, worth it in my opinion due to it's overall comfort when fully loaded. It can hold a ton of gear, and with easy to access pocket's for frequently used items it makes things easier. The fabric material and zippers are of good quality. The only thing about it I saw that I didn't like is that the frame, (a lighter type of plastic) which is supposed to flex and make it more comfortable, is somewhat inferior in that when I left the pack stored loaded over a long period of time the bottom of the frame where all the weight was coming down on it began to bend and twist out of shape. This is/was the only negative I can really see overall. It does have a lifetime warranty so I guess if I was willing to pay to ship the pack back, they would send a new one (if they have them still) or fix it. But for those that like externals, and for the money in my opinion, this pack is not bad at all.

stranger
03-07-2011, 02:53
Stranger is obviously not a fan of these packs! WoW!

When it comes to gear there really is no wrong answer, only opinions. If you wish to try this pack out, for that price it's no real loss if it doesn't work out for you. There may be better packs on the market, but it's what ever works for you that counts.

I've seen many packs on the trail that I would never even consider carrying. The owners of these packs seemed happy with them, so who am I too say anything about it?

Reality, gear may make things easier, but it's you that makes the hike. Of course you want to have reliable gear. So when trying something new like a pack or tent, go out in an area where you are close enough to bail if it fails on you. Great way to test something out, and still be safe and have a great time. I really enjoy my short gear test hikes. They give me the confidence when I head out on longer hikes that I know I'll enjoy and have what I need that works for me!

That's actually quite incorrect, I have no problem with Outdoor Products, I ran a large pack department for many years which has heaps of Outdoor Products packs, duffles and daypacks. They make basic, but decent quality, stuff for 'recreational' purposes. Long distance hiking is not recreational.

If you are talking about day hiking, or weekend use a few times a year that's another story...but for serious use, it's a bad move, but then again...

...ignorance is bliss

tdoczi
03-07-2011, 10:44
OP made no mention of what they were using it for, so by inference you stated it wasnt good for anything.

and what is long distance? i carried my outdoor products pack for about 100 miles over 5 days once and nothing bad happened, or is that not long enough for it to qualify as being useful for a serious hike? and what exactly will happen if i try to use it for longer than that that i should be so very very weary of?

blackbird04217
03-07-2011, 11:20
A thru-hike is just several back to back day/weekend hikes...

NCarolinaHiker
03-07-2011, 13:29
That's actually quite incorrect, I have no problem with Outdoor Products, I ran a large pack department for many years which has heaps of Outdoor Products packs, duffles and daypacks. They make basic, but decent quality, stuff for 'recreational' purposes. Long distance hiking is not recreational.

If you are talking about day hiking, or weekend use a few times a year that's another story...but for serious use, it's a bad move, but then again...

...ignorance is bliss

Ignorance is bliss, indeed. What a laughable attitude from someone who thinks they know better.

stranger
03-10-2011, 09:47
Heya, by all means, run out and buy your Outdoor Products backpacks :)

And no, I don't 'think' I know better...I do know better. I've forgotten more about packs that most people will every know, rest assured, but it's just my opinion...I'm sure the people defending $50 backpacks with 7 pockets are the ones we should be listening to :eek:

Perhaps a more intelligent response to my post might ask what other alternative pack companies are out there that make basic, decent, low cost packs...because there are many :-?

I wish you all the best of luck with your $50 Outdoor Products backpacks, hope you get what you pay for, watch those zippers, and watch your foam compress.

RGB
03-10-2011, 10:24
Just because it doesn't come from REI doesn't mean it won't serve its purpose. Criticizing peoples' gear choices is one of the best ways to alienate yourself from others on the trail. If it works for them and they're happy, let it alone. The only time I give gear advice is when I'm asked for it, otherwise I might seem like a pretentious douche. HYOH.

scope
03-10-2011, 10:47
Well, here's the ruse folks... it is probably sufficient advice for I dare say most that visit this site, that an OP product at Wally World is not the best value. Obviously, its a viable product that can be used. I think the attitude regarding the original post cuts both ways and I think the initial reply to the original post was quite fair... folks that want to praise the OP product and accuse others of being snobbish might consider what other products they can have for the same $50.

NCarolinaHiker
03-10-2011, 11:57
I don't think anybody referred to *mart packs as the grail - but denouncing people for using them is childish. $50 doesn't buy a lot when you're looking for a large volume backpack that you can go pick up, feel, and buy locally pretty much anywhere in the US. I've been fortunate enough to afford high quality gear and I can make the splurge without feeling guilty about it, but I'm not ever going to say another hikers gear is junk because I don't use it or like it myself. If you spend $3000 getting outdoors or $300, what exactly is the difference? Nothing.

DapperD
03-10-2011, 12:34
I don't think anybody referred to *mart packs as the grail - but denouncing people for using them is childish. $50 doesn't buy a lot when you're looking for a large volume backpack that you can go pick up, feel, and buy locally pretty much anywhere in the US. I've been fortunate enough to afford high quality gear and I can make the splurge without feeling guilty about it, but I'm not ever going to say another hikers gear is junk because I don't use it or like it myself. If you spend $3000 getting outdoors or $300, what exactly is the difference? Nothing.I agree. Obviousely these are low cost packs, and the quality will not be as high grade as the top of the line models that are out there, but for those on a budget who do not want to spend alot or for those who do not have a lot to spend these packs will still enable them to get out there and have fun. And even though they are low cost, Outdoor Products does offer a lifetime warranty on them:http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Warranty/lifetime-warranty-for-backpacks-bags-and-duffles-except-for-rolling-bags-and-rolling-backpacks/3 So for the hiker on a budget, they offer a great alternative to much more expensive brands.

Ladytrekker
03-10-2011, 13:13
I use the outdoor products waterproof bags at Walmart the ones that are green, blue and orange, actually tested them to see if they are waterproof. I paid I think 13 for a pack of three each a different size. The same bag from Sea to Summit is $20+ for one bag.

I also use the big yellow waterproof outdoor products bag for kayaking totally waterproof its equivalent in name brand is 50+ at Walmart it is 10.

I have a daypack that has worked well that is Outdoor Products it is what works for you.

mister krabs
03-10-2011, 13:22
I have the skyline 8.0. I like it and reported on it sometime last year over on bplite. It suits it's purpose as daypack + overnight. I don't think anyone said it was for thru-hiking. It carries fairly well on me as it's longer and narrower than many daypacks. Water bottle and hip belt pockets are nice. The top zipper does suck. I'd prefer a roll top or a flap, but a better zipper would do. Worth the thirty bucks if only to loan to your buddy to get him to go along for an overnight.

tdoczi
03-10-2011, 13:31
Perhaps a more intelligent response to my post might ask what other alternative pack companies are out there that make basic, decent, low cost packs...because there are many :-?

i made an intelligent response to your post. i asked what exactly was wrong with an outdoor products back and what trouble am i likely to have if i tried to use it for something meeting your definition of a "serious hike." you seem to not have an answer.

stranger
03-10-2011, 18:01
i made an intelligent response to your post. i asked what exactly was wrong with an outdoor products back and what trouble am i likely to have if i tried to use it for something meeting your definition of a "serious hike." you seem to not have an answer.

Fair enough...what problems will you have? This is hard to say because what you notice, and what you won't notice is fairly dependent on experience and use of other packs.

The reason why I would not recommend Outdoor Products backpacks for serious use (serious being defined as a hike 300+ miles in length, more than once) is the following:
1. Fit - Outdoor Products makes a very basic pack in general, usually just two frame sizes, and that's about it. One of the key reasons why packs get more expensive is fit, the more sizes and fit options, the more expensive the pack gets. Kinda like comparing shoes that come in 5 sizes to shoes that come in 12, packs are quite the same.
2. Construction - I've seen these packs fall apart from basic use, I'm talking about packs that are used around the town. I've seen stays bust through the top of the pack, I've seen shoulder harnesses rip out, many times, I've seen duffles bags and daypacks do the same.
3. Suspension - in the past I've found their suspensions to be very basic, with often straight, or machine bent stays, with second rate foms. An outdoor products pack will 'collapse' and 'sag' far quicker than something like a Gregory, Osprey, ULA or Granite Gear pack. Their foams lack the integrity of more robust, expensive EVA's

What will happen if you use one? NOTHING, well not right away. The pack isn't going to explode after 112 miles, it's simply going to wear, compress, sag, all resulting in you doing more work for no reason other than the quality of the pack. WIll it work, Of Course!

Grandma Gatewood threw a laundry sack over her shoulder, anything will work, the question is - what do you want from your backpack? What do you want it to do? How do you want it to perform? How long do you want it to last? How well do you want it to fit? Etc...

The most common problem with packs is not the pack, it's the person wearing it. This thread is a perfect example, people go 'I like this pack', OK...how many other packs have you carried? How many miles have you spent in those packs? What is your ability to 'objectively' criticise a pack or review a product? Can you guarantee you are in the right frame size? Can you guarantee you are putting the pack on properly? How do you know if the torso length matches your back? How would you know if the component straps match the 'cant' of your shoulders and hips? How would you know when to bend the stays? Etc...

But No, nothing 'bad' is going to happen other than a potential failure in the field, it's the level of failure that will determine how 'bad' it is. But why take the chance? Why not buy a higher quality product, with a higher stitch count and more robust design?

Finally, denouncing a product is not denouncing the person using it. I have no opinion, good or bad, on the people on this thread, I am simply talking about packs here. If you are offended I have criticised a product you own, or want to own...that's unfortunate. However, let's not get dramatic people!

stranger
03-10-2011, 18:11
Just because it doesn't come from REI doesn't mean it won't serve its purpose. Criticizing peoples' gear choices is one of the best ways to alienate yourself from others on the trail. If it works for them and they're happy, let it alone. The only time I give gear advice is when I'm asked for it, otherwise I might seem like a pretentious douche. HYOH.

Who said anything about products coming from REI?

Use your brain jackass, does it matter where you buy a product? REI sells dozens of different manufacturers, most likely including Outdoor Products, what relevance does your post hold?

tdoczi
03-10-2011, 18:20
i cant even begin to decipher some of these points but i'm willing to concede you're probably right, and if i ever decide to hike more than 300 miles i probably would get something else. i'm not sure how we arrive at 300 miles being the "serious" hike point, but whatever.

stranger
03-10-2011, 18:36
You asked what I considered serious, and I attempted to answer the question, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter now does it?

Read what you like, disregard what you will, it's all good :)

I just don't want someone having a pack fall apart of them in the middle of nowhere...call me crazy

Sierra Echo
03-10-2011, 18:42
I got a pack from walmart and the one of the arm straps broke on the first outing. I called it a bastard (and worse) and moved on with my life and got a granite gear daypack.
I was at wally world today and they are selling feet and body warmers on clearance for $1.50!

OnSPop
03-10-2011, 21:24
Opinions are like . . . well, you know - everyone has one and most of them stink.
Go on some shorter hikes with good friends and don't forget a good sewing kit. Generally speaking you get what you pay for, but not always. You don't need a Ferrari if your only going next door, but you will look really cool and be out lots of money. By all means buy the best you can afford, for what you need. But OP has served me well for what I use them for and I have had to sew up my deuter.
I hope to see you on the trail.

NCarolinaHiker
03-10-2011, 22:26
I'd bet at least 50% of this forum haven't done a "serious hike" then, Stranger. It's pretty clear the lack of truth in your opinion correlates to a lack of lots of other things.

Thanks for your 2 cents, though. Glad to know there's a watch dog approving gear. I'm sure you've helped somebody.. somewhere.. some time.

bfayer
03-10-2011, 22:54
...Perhaps a more intelligent response to my post might ask what other alternative pack companies are out there that make basic, decent, low cost packs...because there are many :-?

I wish you all the best of luck with your $50 Outdoor Products backpacks, hope you get what you pay for, watch those zippers, and watch your foam compress.

You know all you had to do was to say in your first reply "There are better packs out there for just a little more money" and give a few examples.

Instead you came out of the gate with an arrogant condescending post basically telling the OP (and I am paraphrasing hear) "you must be stupid". Not the best way to influence people, but that's just my opinion.

To the OP:

There are better packs out there for a few dollars more, but I know Boy Scouts that have a lot of miles on their Outdoor Products packs and for the most part they do fine.

If Outdoor Products are what someone can afford, then they should get one, get outside and be happy.

Or they can stay home, be a gear snob and let the people with the cheap packs have all the fun :D

Mtn Scout
03-11-2011, 01:07
FWIW i have 5 packs currently. 2 gregory, coleman, golite, outdoor products. when i made the first post all i was really looking for was someone who had this pack. i have and will never fro 300 miles at one time so therefore i dont have to have a military grade 400 pack. i have carried all these packs on different trips and have likes and dislikes on all of them. heck i could design my own and still find something i did not like. and for someone to say that that you cant get a decent pack for $50 bucks is wrong!! I bought my greg z pack at scratch and dent with a broke buckle for $40

stranger
03-11-2011, 02:02
I'd bet at least 50% of this forum haven't done a "serious hike" then, Stranger. It's pretty clear the lack of truth in your opinion correlates to a lack of lots of other things.

Thanks for your 2 cents, though. Glad to know there's a watch dog approving gear. I'm sure you've helped somebody.. somewhere.. some time.

I was asked what I thought would be considered a serious hike, and I attempted to answer that question, that's all.

It doesn't matter if anyone on the thread has done a 300 mile hike, or a 2000 mile hike for that matter...that's not the point of the thread.

I apologise if my opinion offended anyone on here, but it doesn't change my opinion. Looking back I agree my original post was aggressive, fair enough...it wasn't my intention and was intented to be more funny than aggressive, but it is what it is.

I still hold the view that encouraging someone to go on backpacking trips in something like an Outdoor Products backpack is not the best idea.

Jay_NJ
04-06-2011, 01:34
First pack I owned was the OP pinnacle. For the $40 bucks or so I paid, it got me easily through many weekend hikes. Eventually a few things began to breakdown after about a year of casual weekend abuse. I did some minor sewing and relegated the bag to my gf on the rare occurrence she joins me on the trail.

I think the bag with some care can last you quite some time and is great for getting friends/family to join you on the trail.

csaint
07-10-2012, 18:03
I am so happy to see all of these reviews of Outdoor Products gear. They really do have quality product at affordable prices and their gear lasts for years! They just recently set up a facebook page that I found and they are always showcasing gear and inspiring people to get outside. I love them!

http://www.facebook.com/outdoorproducts1

verasch
07-10-2012, 19:49
I dunno, I read strangers post and laughed, because, well, there is some truth to it. I too have purchased their gear, and found that you get what you pay for.

While its true that you don't need a fancy car to drive around town, if yer driving something unreliable, you run the risk of it breaking down before you get anywhere. Sure, you could say that you only spent $50. But if you go and replace it with another pack that's $50, technically you coupd have spent the $100 on something that might have held up to begin with.

Edie
07-10-2012, 22:22
One could stay home on the sofa until they could afford a 300 dollar pack, a 400 dollar tent and 400 dollar sleeping bag...............Oh don't forget the shoes, stove.......

kayak karl
07-10-2012, 22:30
One could stay home on the sofa until they could afford a 300 dollar pack, a 400 dollar tent and 400 dollar sleeping bag...............Oh don't forget the shoes, stove.......
don't get your point? why buy a pack that was NOT meant for hiking the trail when you could buy used or a go-lite for $80. there is a reason Outdoor Gear doesn't even post the weight of their packs ?

Edie
07-10-2012, 22:34
Sorry you don't get the point

verasch
07-11-2012, 09:49
Sorry you don't get the point

Theoretically you could build all yer gear out of duct tape at 2.50/roll and duct tape it to yer body instead. Skimp on tape, lessen the cost.

I mean, that's just as awesome an idea as the assumption that if yer not buying walmart gear, the only other product out there must cost a bazillion dollars.

Sailing_Faith
07-11-2012, 11:29
I like my Walmart hiking poles, and am looking for some Outdoor Products labels to sew on my pack and tent to join the counterculture movement. :)

Bucho
07-11-2012, 12:22
If you spend $3000 getting outdoors or $300, what exactly is the difference? Nothing.

I disagree, for plenty of people not spending the extra 2,700 would mean they can still afford to take a couple of days off and actually do the hike.

Bucho
07-11-2012, 12:46
was at wally world today and i always swing through camping section. outdoor products have 2 new packs out and i am very impressed. i already have the skyline 8.0 and its awesome for the money. the 2 they have now one is called the gama 8.0 and i cant remember what the other one is but here are some specs on the 2. one is 2300 ci and looks more like a backpack. the other one is 3300 ci and weighs around 2lbs. i took my gregory z50 back in today to compare the 2. overall its almost same size as z pack but its lighter, has 7 pockets, has main zip access, super cool air channel for your back. the best news its 49.99. i am going back tomorrow and getting one. did not know if anyone else has one of these.

I can't say that I've seen the particular pack you're talking about, don't suppose you could post a link to it? I have to say I find the idea of it being lighter than a z pack baffling.

That said I would just write walmarts camping section off. A lot of the gear there clearly is not for us but that doesn't mean it's wrong for everybody and it doesn't mean that all the gear's wrong for us. I used a couple tubes of shoe goo on the AT. Same product but half the price at walmart that it is at my local EMS.

Here's a sawyer filter, cheapest price I've ever seen them: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Inline-Water-Filter-with-34-Ounce-Bottle/8283710

Edie
07-11-2012, 12:58
Its obvious that the better lighter weight gear is going to be more expensive. But the point is get out there and hike, have fun. You may not want to do a through with cheap gear, but a 3-4 day is doable with most anything.
We all start somewhere you know and words of ridicule/encouragement goes a long way.

Nutbrown
07-11-2012, 13:31
I agree that you have to start somewhere. My first pack and most of the gear was from wally world or sports authority. I have to add that that was because I didn't know much and didn't realize that there were stores that specialize in ld hiking. I was young and uneducated. The more I have grown, the more I realize that it isn't just about the pack, because as many have stated, almost ANY pack will do.... it is about the quality of the purchase. IMO, quality is where I'm spending my money as much as the item I'm buying. I bought my second pack from a local outfitter. Money was an issue, so I waited until it was on sale and then the maker came out with a new version, dropping the price of the older version even further. I was able to support the local store, and my wallet.

Say what you will about the quality or lack of quality of the Outdoor Products, but you are buying from a store that puts local merchants out of business. Wall Mart is an embarrassment.

brotheral
07-11-2012, 18:35
Its obvious that the better lighter weight gear is going to be more expensive. But the point is get out there and hike, have fun. You may not want to do a through with cheap gear, but a 3-4 day is doable with most anything.
We all start somewhere you know and words of ridicule/encouragement goes a long way.
Hike Your Own Hike Edie !! I find alot of good information here and it's been helpful in choosing my gear. I don't care how many miles a day I do. I just want to get out and enjoy the Outdoors and be comfortable and safe....Sure carrying excessive weight or leaking tent can take away from the pleasure, but I work that out as I go. When I get tired I take a break. If I really like a spot I'd consider staying another night... Happy Trails

Edie
07-11-2012, 18:53
I don't have a horse in this race so I will be finished with this thread after this post.
I have pretty good gear, and buying more as I find what I like and what works for me. Just hate to see someone beat up for buying less expensive.
I was at the hiking store that just opened here, one of the sales men just completed a AT thru with basic gear, nothing fancy or ultalight. He would have liked to had the luxury but he couldn't afford it so he went with what he had.

kayak karl
07-11-2012, 20:00
here's a 24 oz pack (http://www.brasslite.com/OrderForms/katahdinPackOrder.html) that won't break the bank. i have the Katahdin (larger). great pack, good weight, dries quick if wet and the belt is very comfortable.

ktest
01-06-2013, 23:45
I know I'm a while late to the party, but I figure if I found this thread someone else might too.

Just to add my two cents: My 28 oz Outdoor Products Skyline 8.0 backpack has seen me through over 600 miles of trail time, including several UL 5 day hikes. Add to that 3 years of school use (with heavy textbooks) and I feel that I've more than gotten my $30 back. The only issue I've had with the backpack so far has been a broken buckle, but that was due to my carelessness.

On the note of OP producing cheap products, I've learned that there are bad packs from every brand. Yes, I've seen broken OP packs as well as high end packs and gear. At least if an OP pack is decimated, you're not out a lot!

Happy trails! :D

starbright
01-07-2013, 03:48
We will be doing our thru with the Outdoor Product Trailhead Frame pack 8.0. Purchased at Campmore

RCBear
01-13-2013, 22:12
Can't imagine doing any serious time in the back country with OP products, but at least if you stick to the AT, I guess you aren't too far from a town at any point. I just always figured their stuff is best for car camping and light day hikes. I figure you can make anything work if you have the patience and fortitude, just don't know why you would want to when there are other real quality products that you could get used in good condition for about the same price.

Rasty
01-13-2013, 22:21
Camptrail external was my first pack. Got it for around $50 in the 80's. Had it for ten years. Inexpensive is not always bad.

RCBear
01-13-2013, 22:37
Camptrail external was my first pack. Got it for around $50 in the 80's. Had it for ten years. Inexpensive is not always bad.

I agree. Course, 50 bucks in the 80s....

Rasty
01-14-2013, 10:30
I agree. Course, 50 bucks in the 80s....

The Gregory packs were $150 to $200 in the same time period. I think the Lowe were around $100 to $150.

RCBear
01-14-2013, 13:19
The Gregory packs were $150 to $200 in the same time period. I think the Lowe were around $100 to $150.

i got really lucky not too long ago and picked up a brand new Gregory Baltoro 65 from a local outfitter for 179.00 They had a massive clearance and i still believe they mismarked that one. I have NO guilt about not asking any questions! In fact, i went ahead and bought a couple other things from them that i hadn't planned on with the savings from the pack. maybe that was their strategy :)

JackJack96
05-24-2013, 10:10
Look at the OP Nomad and Altitude packs on their site. They seem to be made for backpacking and not just "recreational" purposes.

Silent Stroll
05-24-2013, 11:42
I will avoid brands and can not say I have used the product that was at welmart.
For $50 you can buy some great stuff on eBay. All 3 of my packs sell new for well over $100. I paid less then $30 per pack. One is now 7 years old with me.

da fungo
05-24-2013, 16:13
I tend to be a sucker for name brands, and, as I'm rough on equipment, don't tend toward the super ultralight model of distance hiking. I've got an REI ultralight pack that I really liked, but recently, after some concentrated use but with well below the rated weight capacity, I noticed that one of the main seams where the yoke attaches to the pack has started to rip through the threads.

That being said, and more to the point of this thread, about 7 years ago I had a winter vacation in China. While walking in Beijing on New Year's Day, I saw the Beijing WalMart. Went in out of curiosity, ended up buying a WalMart pack for $8, with the exchange rate. It's held up well. The waist belt is a bit flimsy, but, hey - eight bucks? It was a good deal, all things considered.

stranger
06-01-2013, 23:11
Look at the OP Nomad and Altitude packs on their site. They seem to be made for backpacking and not just "recreational" purposes.

Yes...they are 'marketed' for backpacking, I used to work with OP reps, I know what I'm talking about. Doesn't mean it won't work or get you by, and you can also play tennis in sandals, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

snifur
06-02-2013, 10:49
Stranger, you say you know what you are talking about, but so do the great and wise people of WB that have actual applied experience. We are not salesman or a representative for any firm or company. You ran a pack department. Who freaking cares? There are dumb dumb dumb reps at any of the big outfitters that have no idea about the needs of a hiker. We apply our experience to the product. I own 2 OP packs. One for day hiking and one for weekend trips. My average day hike is probably more miles and gear abuse than you can squeeze in on a weekend. I have witnessed an OP pack that began at Springer and held together as well as my Gregory for the 2200 miles to Maine. 2200 miles of hiking is recreational and as you stated regarding OP they make “decent quality stuff for recreational purposes.” What other type of gear is there really? As a professional who “ran a pack department” I would have thought you would be more interested in suggesting and assisting instead of insulting an economically viable option. What does one put on their resume for qualifications of running a pack department? I applaud you for your exceptional ability to demonstrate you absolute ignorance in your area of limited expertise. You sir are deemed no longer credible in any realm of WB on any topic regarding gear. Feel free to discuss shopping bags, stacking, ordering info, storage, lighting for product advertisement and sales. I believe your knowledge should be confined to these areas that you actually were involved in.

WILLIAM HAYES
06-02-2013, 11:20
another aussie with opinion cant stand that accent give me a break- carry what you want and see how it works

RED-DOG
06-03-2013, 07:44
Outdoor products are fine, I have none people to completely outfit them self's at wal-mart and do a Thru-hike and the gear worked great, If you don't have the money for the high dollar stuff go to Wal-Mart, their's nothing wrong with it.

JackJack96
06-03-2013, 16:48
Yes...they are 'marketed' for backpacking, I used to work with OP reps, I know what I'm talking about. Doesn't mean it won't work or get you by, and you can also play tennis in sandals, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
I don't use OP gear, I am trying to give what little information I have. I am sure that for some people the OP backpacks works very well.

carophil
06-07-2013, 16:21
i haven't used one for hiking much, but i did have a smaller outdoor gear pack for running and small hikes and it held up fairly well for the price. i wouldn't trust one for long-term backpacking, really, but for what i used it for it seemed to work fine.

stranger
06-09-2013, 09:19
Stranger, you say you know what you are talking about, but so do the great and wise people of WB that have actual applied experience. We are not salesman or a representative for any firm or company. You ran a pack department. Who freaking cares? There are dumb dumb dumb reps at any of the big outfitters that have no idea about the needs of a hiker. We apply our experience to the product. I own 2 OP packs. One for day hiking and one for weekend trips. My average day hike is probably more miles and gear abuse than you can squeeze in on a weekend. I have witnessed an OP pack that began at Springer and held together as well as my Gregory for the 2200 miles to Maine. 2200 miles of hiking is recreational and as you stated regarding OP they make “decent quality stuff for recreational purposes.” What other type of gear is there really? As a professional who “ran a pack department” I would have thought you would be more interested in suggesting and assisting instead of insulting an economically viable option. What does one put on their resume for qualifications of running a pack department? I applaud you for your exceptional ability to demonstrate you absolute ignorance in your area of limited expertise. You sir are deemed no longer credible in any realm of WB on any topic regarding gear. Feel free to discuss shopping bags, stacking, ordering info, storage, lighting for product advertisement and sales. I believe your knowledge should be confined to these areas that you actually were involved in.

You're amusing comrade...thanks for sharing your opinion

stranger
06-09-2013, 09:21
another aussie with opinion cant stand that accent give me a break- carry what you want and see how it works

I'm American smart guy

stranger
06-09-2013, 09:57
Again...as I stated in post 35, I agree my initial post was inflammatory and aggressive...and I apologise for that. However, on the topic of Outdoor Products packs...I just feel its irresponsible to recommend them for serious conditions. Feel completely free to disregard my opinion.

Rasty
06-09-2013, 10:34
I have had two Outdoor Products packs and both failed. The first had a seam fail in the main compartment. The second had a zipper fail. Neither was used for more then 50 miles before failing.

bfayer
06-10-2013, 10:36
I have had two Outdoor Products packs and both failed. The first had a seam fail in the main compartment. The second had a zipper fail. Neither was used for more then 50 miles before failing.

That's what 3 days?

In rebuttal, I have scouts that have outdoor products packs that have lasted for years and have been past down to younger brothers who still use them.

Would I recommend an outdoor products pack? No. But if the option is an OP pack or no pack, I vote for the OP pack.

No everyone is in the same place in their ability to buy gear. OP fits a need.

rocketsocks
06-10-2013, 16:50
22007hopefully we all carry this...I do...run what ya brug, no big deal.

Rasty
06-10-2013, 17:03

That's what 3 days?

In rebuttal, I have scouts that have outdoor products packs that have lasted for years and have been past down to younger brothers who still use them.

Would I recommend an outdoor products pack? No. But if the option is an OP pack or no pack, I vote for the OP pack.

No everyone is in the same place in their ability to buy gear. OP fits a need.

That is a sign of poor quality control. One will last years and the next breaks within days.

stranger
06-11-2013, 18:00
People are generally not aware of this but companies like OP use a general formula for things like design and construction, they are built considering average, typical use of a given product...this is generally for a male who spends 4 days per year in the field, so again, I stress the word 'recreational'

rocketsocks
06-11-2013, 18:14
People are generally not aware of this but companies like OP use a general formula for things like design and construction, they are built considering average, typical use of a given product...this is generally for a male who spends 4 days per year in the field, so again, I stress the word 'recreational'I'm sure they don't put the R&D in there packs that others do..ie; Osprey with it's form fit, an ergonomics....just one example.

but again, no big deal...run what ya brung [got that "n" in there this time, it was botherin me]

Mtn Scout
06-30-2013, 02:52
i just thought i would update my end of the post. I ended up buying that pack to add to my collection. We are hiking the foothills trail in 3 weeks. I have been carrying the OP pack just to see how it would hold up. If it makes it through the foothills trail the pack will have 317 miles on it. 77 of those miles will be from the foothills. I can say that it is not as light as my jam, but the only problem i have had is i had to replace a buckle. This was from me shutting the car door on it. So technically it was not from being cheap. At this point i have gotten every bit of my money out of it. Sorry for causing the big hoo rah, all i was looking for was an opinion from someone who had the pack. I think some people are waiting on their internet badge to arrive in the mail like Ralphy.

Socalhiker87
04-26-2014, 00:28
i just thought i would update my end of the post. I ended up buying that pack to add to my collection. We are hiking the foothills trail in 3 weeks. I have been carrying the OP pack just to see how it would hold up. If it makes it through the foothills trail the pack will have 317 miles on it. 77 of those miles will be from the foothills. I can say that it is not as light as my jam, but the only problem i have had is i had to replace a buckle. This was from me shutting the car door on it. So technically it was not from being cheap. At this point i have gotten every bit of my money out of it. Sorry for causing the big hoo rah, all i was looking for was an opinion from someone who had the pack. I think some people are waiting on their internet badge to arrive in the mail like Ralphy.

I'm glad you ended up getting the pack. Hopefully after a few months of use you can come back to this discussion and give us you honest review. Making gear as affordable as possible to get people out to enjoy the outdoors is Outdoor Products mission and I am thankful for it. Happy Trails!

ChuckT
05-25-2014, 18:15
I've looked at packs the Wally World that is local to me but came away with the impression that the ones I saw on display were customer returns.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

shakey_snake
05-29-2014, 08:14
I've used their version of a "stuff sack-pack" as a food bag. It's purple. The wally world I was at didn't have any stuff sacks. The webbing on the thing is the worst I've ever seen.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-29-2014, 08:22
I'm assuming this is either a joke or you are very, very new to backpacking.

I seriously doubt anyone on here uses an Outdoor Products backpack for anything other than going to class or the gym, there is a reason for that.

Educate yourself about products before you make decisions...it will save you alot of money in the long run.

Snacktime and I each have the OP 46L packs and are quite happy with them. At $40 each they've performed much better than I'd thought they would. I don't imagine they would hold up for a thruhike, but they've served us quite well. There's no need to drop hundreds of dollars on a pack unless the highest quality and durability is what you need. Many of us do just fine with "acceptable" quality at an affordable price.

Mtn Scout
05-29-2014, 13:13
just figured i would update this a little more. i have had very minimal trouble using the op packs in the past 2 years. would I plan on using one for a thru hike, No. Would I feel safe using one for general hiking, weekend trips? Sure. I have a gregory, go lite and a north face pack in addition to a few op packs. Is the op the same quality? No, but I am not trying to compare quality on a $50 pack to a $200 pack. I do not work in a store or declare to be a "Equipment Specialist" but I think it does not matter your budget or equipment list. All that matters to me is being out there enjoying the hike!