PDA

View Full Version : Mail drop in Shenandoah's

Demillo
03-05-2011, 20:57
We are planning our yearly section hike for this June. It will be from Waynesboro to Snickers Gap. I was looking for a convenient place, half way through, to do a mail drop. Unfortunately, most hostels etc. require a nights stay to use their address for a mail delivery. Is there a convenient drop that any of you can think of that would help with this minor problem?

jlb2012
03-05-2011, 21:54
since you are talking June I would suggest just planning on resupply at the various camp stores in Shen. If for some reason you require a maildrop I would suggest leaving the package in a car parked where you want to have the drop. If you don't have a car you can leave in the middle of your planned hike then you can illegally cache your drop somewhere near the trail - best done with a bear proof container. Note the last option is illegal so put the cache somewhere that only you will be able to find it - if the rangers find it it will be removed. Of course after your hike come back to the cache site and clean it up.

johnnybgood
03-05-2011, 23:01
Just curious why you see the need for a mail drop in SNP ? The resupply of food is more than adequate and easily reached from the AT .
If the item(s) are non-perishables, then use the post office in Elkton ,a mere 4 miles from Swift Run Gap entrance station. Call ahead to have a shuttler meet you at the Gap & drive you to and from the post office. Or as HOI suggested , stage a car at a safe place inside the park , say the parking area at the Bryd Visitor Center at Big Meadows .
Inform the Rangers there of your plans and how long this car will be parked on their premises ,that way a Ranger parolling at night knows the car isn't abandoned. I have left a car there for 4 days w/o any problem, so it's a safe place to stage a vehicle .

Blissful
03-06-2011, 00:02
Resupply at the waysides (like Big Meadows which is considered halfway). Pricey but pretty good selection. And some waysides have hiker boxes too (Elkwallow did).

wvgrinder
03-06-2011, 15:36
Resupply at the waysides (like Big Meadows which is considered halfway). Pricey but pretty good selection. And some waysides have hiker boxes too (Elkwallow did).

Pricey except for beer and these:

Papa D
03-06-2011, 16:28
Short road walk to Linden, VA (Hwy. 55), P.O. there - old gas station and grocery but slim pickings for a good re-supply - - think you can hitch down the road south to some more stuff from there, but like the others suggested, seems like you could do it without a mail drop using stores and the waysides.

Demillo
03-06-2011, 17:55
Thanks for the info. I guess we just assumed it would be easier to do a mail drop as we weren't sure what would be found at the waysides. A lot of the info in the data book says "Short Term re-supply" or "Limited Selection"....and so we weren't really sure. We were considering a mail drop at Luray, VA...but its 8 miles to Luray and we weren't sure about the ability to get a ride. Maybe we will simply re-supply as we go.

Blissful
03-07-2011, 21:58
Thanks for the info. I guess we just assumed it would be easier to do a mail drop as we weren't sure what would be found at the waysides. A lot of the info in the data book says "Short Term re-supply" or "Limited Selection"....and so we weren't really sure. We were considering a mail drop at Luray, VA...but its 8 miles to Luray and we weren't sure about the ability to get a ride. Maybe we will simply re-supply as we go.

And if you birng plenty of $$ you can always eat too at waysides and dining halls. SNP is one of the few places you can eat your way through a park.

10-K
03-07-2011, 22:44
It took me about 30 minutes to hitch into Luray but it has everything you need. I spent the night at the first hotel you come to on the way into town and it was within easy walking distance of a laundry, grocery store and places to eat.

arthur.uscg
03-09-2011, 14:06

The shops cater to car campers, so if you need any equipment it will be heavy and the "limited selection" is usually what I warn car campers. The stores are about the size of a 7-11.

You could almost eat your way down on the trail. About 1 days worth of food is all you need to carry.
From south entrance to Loft Mt is 35ish miles, then 35miles again to Big Meadows. Then 10mi to Skyland, 20 to Elkwallow, then 25 until you are out of the park.

Skyland is a restaurant, and I can't remember how much is in the Lewis Mt store.

Elkwallow Wayside (mile 24.1)
Big Meadows Wayside (mile 51.2)
Lewis Mountain Campstore (mile 57.5)
Loft Mountain Campstore (mile 79.5)

Blissful
03-09-2011, 22:05
But some did carry fuel canisters.

Kermitt
03-14-2011, 14:05
I'm flying in to Shenandaor airport on April 12, how far is Swift Gap &is their a store I can get fuel for my stove?

johnnybgood
03-14-2011, 21:15
I'm flying in to Shenandoah airport on April 12, how far is Swift Gap &is their a store I can get fuel for my stove?
Swift Run Gap is approximately 30 miles east of Shenandoah Valley Airport.
Wilderness Voyageurs , 5 miles west in Harrisonburg will have fuel for your stove.

Kermitt
03-15-2011, 20:27
Thanks, johnnybgood.

Crash
03-15-2011, 20:38
Do research on when the Waysides open for the season. Otherwise you may be out of luck.