PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Moment: Backpacker Mag Editors Choice

Praha4
03-05-2011, 21:09
for info, the latest issue of Backpacker Magazine gave a 2011 Editors Choice Award to the Tarptent Moment as top Ultralight solo shelter.

it is a great tarptent, my favorite of Henry's products

trailangelbronco
03-05-2011, 21:15
Someone needs to put a Lightheart in their hands...

Big Dawg
03-05-2011, 21:58
I've thoroughly enjoyed my Moment. No surprise in the award. It's an awesome tent!! Would probably still win the award, even w/ a Lightheart next to it.

thelowend
03-05-2011, 22:38
just replaced my Tarptent Moment with the cuben lightheart solo.. waiting on it to be made as we speak.. I get a strong feeling I will like the lightheart better due to the doublewall construction.

swjohnsey
03-05-2011, 22:50
just replaced my Tarptent Moment with the cuben lightheart solo.. waiting on it to be made as we speak.. I get a strong feeling I will like the lightheart better due to the doublewall construction.

Curious, how much $ and what will it weigh, when will they deliver?

Big Dawg
03-06-2011, 16:03
Love my "double wall" Moment...

pafarmboy
03-06-2011, 17:16
Curious, how much $ and what will it weigh, when will they deliver?

http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Cuben.html

thelowend
03-06-2011, 17:21
pricey =p and Judy says I will have it in my hands by the end of March. and.... big dawg.. im confused about your "doublewalled" comment... it is very partially doublewalled in between the netting and the exterior shell but most of the tent consists of the single layer of fabric between you an rain (which equals condensation in southern conditions)

swjohnsey
03-06-2011, 17:39
http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Cuben.html

Wow! Outa my league.

Big Dawg
03-07-2011, 18:04
big dawg.. im confused about your "doublewalled" comment... it is very partially doublewalled in between the netting and the exterior shell but most of the tent consists of the single layer of fabric between you an rain (which equals condensation in southern conditions)

I have the liner that TT offers for this tent, which makes the "single layer" section a double layer, hence double walled.

johnnyblisters
03-07-2011, 18:23
Wow! Outa my league.

Agreed, that's a bit ridiculous. It's amazing how expensive such an inexpensive (in theory) hobby can be...

Torch09
03-07-2011, 19:14
I don't think I would ever spend that much on a piece of gear unless it had a negative weight... like it would help carry my other gear. Hot air balloon maybe... ;)

Del Q
03-07-2011, 19:52
Fast forward 5 years, cuben fiber, what will the future show us? Fabrics continue to evolve.

For one I think that this is great, human minds & engineering working on better and better developments, the entrepreneurial spirit, soon we will float down the trail bragging about sub 5 lb all in weights.

Graywolf
03-07-2011, 20:03
For the Light Heart I must say i am Light Hearted i would never purchae it. Not saying that it isnt any good. Its funny when I see post of people who havnt even tried it yet, sayingits better than any tentthey ever had. thats a sells pitch and an a!@ kisseer to me..

I have tried henry Shires Tents and for the money, it just cant be beat. plus I believe the Moment is the lightest Free Standing tent out there. I dont think the Light Heart is freestanding, but then i havnt used one so I dont know..

I will keep my tarp tent, its what i know..

4Bears
03-07-2011, 23:01
GW, no Lightheart has no free standing tents, while they seem like a quallity product (no personal experience) the price puts them out of my league. Right now I have the coin in the air over the Rainbow and the Moment, love thhe rom of the Rainbow and the speed of the Moment.

Found
03-08-2011, 02:19
Really? It did?

It's definitely not listed as winning the editor's choice award in the gear guide. I don't think it did.

Unless you have a source that I don't.

I'm the "thru hiking tester" of the CDT that reviewed the tent for the magazine review. :-?

Harrison Bergeron
03-08-2011, 20:13
Really? It did?

It's definitely not listed as winning the editor's choice award in the gear guide. I don't think it did.

I'm the "thru hiking tester" of the CDT that reviewed the tent for the magazine review. :-?

Wow, straight from the horses mouth!

So why did the magazine consider the Moment and not the Contrail? I've never seen either up close but we are talking tarp tents, here. 4 oz may not be much, but it's 16% at the low weights we're talking about!

The Moment does look a little more comfortable, but in addition to the extra weight, you have to fit that pole into your pack. The packed size has a 20" dimension, and the total package looks almost twice the size of the Contrail. Meanwhile, the Contrail only needs a single hiking pole. And frankly, all those graphite struts and guy lines going everywhere on the Moment makes it look easy to mess up.

I just thought it was odd that the magazine didn't compare the two.

swantekkie
03-08-2011, 20:35
[QUOTE=JonGalt;1125754] And frankly, all those graphite struts and guy lines going everywhere on the Moment makes it look easy to mess up.

I know if your trying to save weight, it wouldnt matter, but the moment can come with an optional extra pole to make it freestanding. It might weigh a little more but worth not having to set up guy lines in my opinion. I would rather carry the extra pole than have to worry about setting up guys.:banana just my two cents

Rocket Jones
03-08-2011, 21:02
Original Post: "...a 2011 Editors Choice Award to the Tarptent Moment as top Ultralight solo shelter."

Really? It did?

Page 94. Note what the original post said, it's absolutely accurate.

4Bears
03-08-2011, 21:45
From what I see there was no "Editors Choice Award" for any of the solo tents, in the April issue.

Torch09
03-08-2011, 22:14
From what I see there was no "Editors Choice Award" for any of the solo tents, in the April issue.

That was also my understanding. The gear that recieved awards were featured on pages 13- 22. There was a Big Agnes tent and one by Kelty, I believe. The Tarptent was reviewed later on in the issue.

RayBan
03-09-2011, 00:48
The Moment does look a little more comfortable, but in addition to the extra weight, you have to fit that pole into your pack. The packed size has a 20" dimension, and the total package looks almost twice the size of the Contrail. Meanwhile, the Contrail only needs a single hiking pole. And frankly, all those graphite struts and guy lines going everywhere on the Moment makes it look easy to mess up.

I have a ULA Ohm (used from Springer onward) and have PLENTY of room to fit the Moment in even with the top rolled mostly down, full spring/fall gear and 5 days food inside.

As to set up, all three "guy wires" (glo-spectra) are attached to the graphite struts and a single point "harness" making it difficult to "mess up" when staking the ends out with only two stakes.

Given the spaciousness of the interior and utility in rain to prep everything before exiting, I'll take the Moment over the Contrail (the "weight" differential is trivial IMO when compared to the added functionality/amenities of the Moment).

Big Dawg
03-09-2011, 13:56
And frankly, all those graphite struts and guy lines going everywhere on the Moment makes it look easy to mess up.

You wouldn't say that if you saw it in person. The Moment is one of the easiest tents to put up. What RayBan says is right-on.