PDA

View Full Version : NJ/NY Section Questions - April 3rd, on

earlylight
03-05-2011, 21:58
I'm doing a section from Mohican Outdoor Center to the Connecticut State line starting April 3. Couple of footwear and bear questions...

What are trail conditions likely to be at the beginning of April in NJ?
--- I want to hike in trail runners. Should I be worried about snow or cold puddles, snow on north facing slopes, or ice on the trail. Considering bringing overboots and UL crampons - is this going to be overkill?

What about bears?
----I know NJ has bear boxes. What about NY? Should I bring a bear canister if I want to camp along the trail and not at shelters. Is hanging bear bags enough?

Bit early in the season, but I have cabin fever.

Trail Bug
03-06-2011, 07:56
I'm doing a section from Mohican Outdoor Center to the Connecticut State line starting April 3. Couple of footwear and bear questions...

What are trail conditions likely to be at the beginning of April in NJ?
--- I want to hike in trail runners. Should I be worried about snow or cold puddles, snow on north facing slopes, or ice on the trail. Considering bringing overboots and UL crampons - is this going to be overkill?

What about bears?
----I know NJ has bear boxes. What about NY? Should I bring a bear canister if I want to camp along the trail and not at shelters. Is hanging bear bags enough?

Bit early in the season, but I have cabin fever.
I finished New York last May. Stayed in shelters and slept in the woods. Never saw a bear. Don't recall bear boxes when passing through.

Kevin A. Boyce
03-06-2011, 08:44
Trail runners may not be 'enough' shoe for the mud; but if the weather has been dry for a while they may work nicely.

As for bears, yes hang your food properly and you will be fine... Do you need a canister? Nahhhh... You will find few Yogi's but many other critters that will want to eat food...

In fact if you see a Yogi, you're lucky!

Namaste
03-06-2011, 08:59
I will be hiking a section of NY the week of March 26 so I will let you know about current trail conditions (I should be back soon enough to report before you head out). No need for bear canisters... hanging is enough but there are bear boxes in NJ at most of the shelters from what I recall. One and only bear I saw in NJ was just north of the High Point monument. Never saw a bear in NY up to Rte 17A section.

Raul Perez
03-06-2011, 11:53
NY has been fairly warm the past 3 weeks I dont think you will need crampons. I use trail runners so I dont think it will be a problem.

There's definitely a bear box at Wildcat Shelter with some bear activity. I stealthed at Fitzgerald Falls and we have an unconfirmed bear sighting at night near our bear bags. Nothing serious though. All I do is hang my food I never used a bear canister on the AT.

NY before the Hudson River is constant elevation changes but some really great views. Enjoy your trip!

I'm going to be finishing up the NY section from Bear Mt Inn to Ten Mile Lean to Shelter April 30th.

Raul

Appalachian Tater
03-06-2011, 12:16
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

Jeff
03-06-2011, 14:23
I hiked NY/CT/MA starting April 16th, 2005 and had dry trails. Trailrunners should be fine. No bear sightings either.

elray
03-06-2011, 14:58
II Cat and I finished that section last Spring about that time and the trail conditions were perfect. Trail runners are the fine for that piece and I do recall seeing a couple of bear boxes, also the tail end of one quickly departing bear, no problems otherwise. Enjoy!

Scooby99
03-06-2011, 16:00
Hiked up Bear Mtn 2 days ago, south side was snow free, North side still had 6 or so inches, though most of the steps on the new trail and the gravel treadway had a small snow-free path most of the way up. Hiked in trail runners the whole way, and only used my yaktrax for about a quarter mile up from the Inn parking lot. This week weather is in the 50s most days, I would guess the trail mostly snow free by April if we don't get a storm in the next couple weeks.

Driver8
03-06-2011, 20:28
Hiked up Bear Mtn 2 days ago, south side was snow free, North side still had 6 or so inches, though most of the steps on the new trail and the gravel treadway had a small snow-free path most of the way up. Hiked in trail runners the whole way, and only used my yaktrax for about a quarter mile up from the Inn parking lot. This week weather is in the 50s most days, I would guess the trail mostly snow free by April if we don't get a storm in the next couple weeks.

This sounds about right. Barring more significant snowfall, everything below 2000 feet, which gets you to Bear Mountain on the north end of Connecticut (and so covers your section), should be snow free. I'd plan on muddy, though. Probably alternating stretches of mud and dry.