PDA

View Full Version : Winton Opens Outfitter At Hiawassee

Ron Haven
03-06-2011, 01:13
Winton is open at the Hiawassee Budget Inn (http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/external/hiawasseeinn/) formerly the Hiawassee Inn (http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/external/hiawasseeinn/) with the new outfitter. If you are at Unicoi or Dicks Creek Gaps you can get into Hiawassee by calling 1-706-896-4121

ShakeyLeggs
03-06-2011, 01:28
Excellent news

Jeff
03-06-2011, 07:08
Ron that's a great business move getting even more hikers over to your fine establishment !!

Those poor SOBO's don't get an outfitter in a trail town until they are out of Maine. Ron when are you and Winton moving north. Hey, Whitehouse Landing is for sale. :D

Ron Haven
03-06-2011, 11:10
Ron that's a great business move getting even more hikers over to your fine establishment. :D
Thanks Jeff. When we went into Hiawassee last year they didn't even have a place to buy fuel and the laundromat was only open 4 days a week. $59.99 was the cheapest motel rate. For a place calling itself a hiker town needs more than that.

I started hiker rates at $39.99 for singles, got on premisses laundry,tenting, internet, free shuttle to Unicoi and Dicks Creek. Now an outfitter. To me, Hiawassee is finally starting to look like a hiker town. :banana

digger51
03-06-2011, 11:54
Ron...I hope you aren't making that drive from Franklin every day again to run the shuttle. That can wear a man out in a hurry. Glad to hear your plans for the Hiawassee Budget Inn have come together.

Roots
03-06-2011, 12:28
Thanks Jeff. When we went into Hiawassee last year they didn't even have a place to buy fuel and the laundromat was only open 4 days a week. $59.99 was the cheapest motel rate. For a place calling itself a hiker town needs more than that.

I started hiker rates at $39.99 for singles, got on premisses laundry,tenting, internet, free shuttle to Unicoi and Dicks Creek. Now an outfitter. To me, Hiawassee is finally starting to look like a hiker town. :banana

you da man, Ron!!!:sun

double d
03-06-2011, 13:10
Great work Ron!

Praha4
03-06-2011, 13:59
great news! last year there was not a single place in Hiawassee that sold fuel canisters, and no decent outfitter. That's really good news. thanks Ron and Winton!

Rain Man
03-06-2011, 22:48
That is good news! Ron should run for office over there too! :)

And now I can vouch that the elusive Ron Haven is real and does exist in Franklin, with photographic evidence as proof! I finally pinned the nice gentleman down on a trip through the area this evening and my wife and I got a chauffeured, guided tour of town from the Commissioner himself! Not to mention Chinese dinner with him and such trail tidbits and news as this very topic.

Rain:sunMan

LIhikers
03-06-2011, 22:51
I hope it works out for everyone involved :)

Lone Wolf
03-07-2011, 02:30
Ron that's a great business move getting even more hikers over to your fine establishment !!

Those poor SOBO's don't get an outfitter in a trail town until they are out of Maine. Ron when are you and Winton moving north. Hey, Whitehouse Landing is for sale. :D

those poor SOBOs aren't needy and they know what they're doin'

Graywolf
03-07-2011, 02:41
Ron, you need a chef? A Hiker Chef? I would love to work at a Hostel or Hotel catering to Hikers.. Thats what I do!!

Great to hear about the Outfitter...Now I have a reason to stop.

Graywolf

Trailweaver
03-07-2011, 03:23
Where is the outfitter (and name?) in relation to Ron's hiker hotel in Hiawassee? I hope to be going thru there in a month or so.

Desert Reprobate
03-07-2011, 06:43
The outfitter is right at the hotel

10-K
03-07-2011, 07:57
I think it's great news.

But, just to say that prior to Ron's move into Hiawassee I rated my stay at the Holiday Inn Express as one of the better trail town experiences I had south of Damascus.

Great rooms, big comfortable beds, 24/7 hot coffee and a huge continental breakfast. There was a washer and dryer at the end of the hall and 2 grocery stores and places to eat within a few minutes walk. The desk clerk helped us arrange a shuttle within an hour of checking in and we were good.

Did I say hot coffee 24/7? :)

takethisbread
03-07-2011, 18:00
I think it's great news.

But, just to say that prior to Ron's move into Hiawassee I rated my stay at the Holiday Inn Express as one of the better trail town experiences I had south of Damascus.

Great rooms, big comfortable beds, 24/7 hot coffee and a huge continental breakfast. There was a washer and dryer at the end of the hall and 2 grocery stores and places to eat within a few minutes walk. The desk clerk helped us arrange a shuttle within an hour of checking in and we were good.

Did I say hot coffee 24/7? :)

agreed i did like that hotel as well. its a rare treat in the Southern sections to have that kind of luxury.

AYCE buffet next door as well.

mweinstone
03-07-2011, 19:32
ron. sorryi havent called.stop. haveing a go of it in philly. stop. great luck with the new dealy. stop. love. stop. matthewski. stop.

Gray Blazer
03-07-2011, 21:31
Pretty cool.

docllamacoy
03-07-2011, 21:37
I'm over in Hayesville for a couple of months so I might come by. Do you carry any nice ponchos there? My husband is out section hiking and is looking for abetted poncho than the one he has.

Blissful
03-07-2011, 21:41
Wow nice for the hikers this year. Another treat for NOBOs

Ron Haven
03-09-2011, 00:01
Wow nice for the hikers this year. Another treat for NOBOsI went in the outfitter today after it was fully stocked. Looked real nice too.

generoll
03-09-2011, 11:17
there seems to be a steady stream of hikers in and out looking for some item that they've either lost or needs replacing. with the relationship between Mountain Crossings and Hiawassee Inn you can usually have something deliver to Hiawassee within a day if they don't already have it.

Ron Haven
03-10-2011, 01:20
there seems to be a steady stream of hikers in and out looking for some item that they've either lost or needs replacing. with the relationship between Mountain Crossings and Hiawassee Inn you can usually have something deliver to Hiawassee within a day if they don't already have it.I believe it will seve a big purpose. By the way I made a little throwed together web site for our 2011 services (http://ronhaven.com/hikerbash5/).

Two Speed
03-10-2011, 09:09
Sweet. Checking the new outfitter out is on my "to do" list the next time I get up that way.

double d
03-10-2011, 11:37
those poor SOBOs aren't needy and they know what they're doin'
Really? I saw two last summer in NH and then in Vermont (July) that looked like they needed some help with their gear.

double d
03-10-2011, 11:38
Winton has done alot for the trail, congrats to him! Great book BTW.

Lone Wolf
03-10-2011, 11:43
Really? I saw two last summer in NH and then in Vermont (July) that looked like they needed some help with their gear.

looks are deceiving

double d
03-10-2011, 12:40
looks are deceiving

Haaa, true, but not when one's perception is clear.

generoll
03-10-2011, 15:39
the important thing is to separate the hikers from their money before they get to Damascus. We wouldn't want them to spend it foolishly.

bigmac_in
03-10-2011, 16:31
That is good news! Ron should run for office over there too! :)

And now I can vouch that the elusive Ron Haven is real and does exist in Franklin, with photographic evidence as proof! I finally pinned the nice gentleman down on a trip through the area this evening and my wife and I got a chauffeured, guided tour of town from the Commissioner himself! Not to mention Chinese dinner with him and such trail tidbits and news as this very topic.

Rain:sunMan

You've been fooled - that's not Ron Haven. Ronnie wears a hat. :D

bigmac_in
03-10-2011, 16:32
the important thing is to separate the hikers from their money before they get to Damascus. We wouldn't want them to spend it foolishly.

That's funny right there.

Jack Tarlin
03-10-2011, 20:31
I was in the new shop today. It is small, but surprisingly well stocked; they obviously gave a lot of thought to what they decided to offer. For folks who need things like fuel cannisters, water purification, outerwear, filter and water bag accessories, backpacker food (like Mountain House, etc.) I think this little store will be a great addition to the Trail. Hikers passing thru Hiawasseee should definitely stop by.