PDA

View Full Version : ZPacks cuben or other pack for 15-20 lbs

10-K
03-06-2011, 09:56
I'm looking for a good pack to carry less than 20 lbs and the ZPacks Blast 20 has my attention but there's a 2 month wait list. The sweet spot would be around the 15 lb range but be able to carry 20 if necessary.

Any other recommendations? I'm partial to ULA but the smallest pack they have now is the CDT I think....

Helios
03-06-2011, 10:01
I'm emailing back and forth with Joe from Z-packs the past few days getting ready to pull the trigger on a Blast pack myself.

After considering the weight, and really really enjoying going lighter, this has settled as a definite must for me.

My 6 Moon designs Swift works awesome at 15 oz. I really love this pack. The ULA CDT looks nice at 17 oz., but I have no experience with this pack. The Zpacks Blast will be 8 oz! and I really think it's going to work well for me, so the 8 oz pack it will be!

10-K
03-06-2011, 11:05
I'm emailing back and forth with Joe from Z-packs the past few days getting ready to pull the trigger on a Blast pack myself.

After considering the weight, and really really enjoying going lighter, this has settled as a definite must for me.

My 6 Moon designs Swift works awesome at 15 oz. I really love this pack. The ULA CDT looks nice at 17 oz., but I have no experience with this pack. The Zpacks Blast will be 8 oz! and I really think it's going to work well for me, so the 8 oz pack it will be!

I'm using a 2009 model Swift now myself. It does the job ok, just looking for something a little lighter and with a bit more storage outside the pack.

I did look at the 2011 Swift but am kinda smitten with the Zpack at the moment. Man I hate waiting 2 months for it though.

SouthMark
03-06-2011, 11:13
I have an older ZPacks Z1 sil pack. It has been great with light loads (15 lbs or less). Joe is great to work with and a ZPacks Blast is on my list. I have one of his cuben tarps. Right now I am using GG Murmur at 7.3 oz for my sub 20 loads. I love the stretch mesh pockets and the new sit pad pocket. I have tested it with 28 lbs and it was not that bad. I improvised padding for the hip belt and inserted a piece of corrugated plastic (sign material) behind the sit pad for weight transfer. It worked and I also use it as table top for spreading out my food at meal times.

randyg45
03-06-2011, 11:23
I love my Blast; but I think part of it may be that it just fits really well. That- fit- seems to be both idiosyncratic and crucial. My nephew LOVES my old Wild Things AT even though it looks just ridiculously big on him, HATES my Golite. I can wear either one...

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Joe V. He's got the chops, he's got the gear. Thus the waiting list....

Helios
03-06-2011, 11:29
I'm using a 2009 model Swift now myself. It does the job ok, just looking for something a little lighter and with a bit more storage outside the pack.

I did look at the 2011 Swift but am kinda smitten with the Zpack at the moment. Man I hate waiting 2 months for it though.

we are a "have it now" society" any more it seems. A little wait will be ok as you have a light weight functuining pack to use in the interim. In other words - it's all good! :-)

Espero
03-06-2011, 11:54
I use a Gossamer Gear G4. High volume; low weight; right price.

10-K
The ULA CDT doesn't look half bad either....

Audiorob
Check out the Gossamer Gear packs. I have the Murmur which has a max carry weight of 20 pounds recommended. The G4 has a large capacity and is just over a pound.

Also look at the Six Moon Designs Swift. You can cary up to 30 lbs, has good capacity, is customizable, and is less Expensive than the Zpacks. It weighs 15 ounces, but things like hipbelt, sternum strap and pockets are all al a carte.

I posted links to manufacturers on the links page. Lots of choices!

1azarus
03-06-2011, 13:21
when we hiked together a while back i had a gossamer gear murmur on my back -- i really like it and would recommend it heartily -- if the volume is right for you. real close to the z-pack weight. i will admit the toughness of the z-pack does look like a great selling point. good luck whatever you choose!

skinewmexico
03-06-2011, 13:44
Is a Gossamer Gear Gorilla too big? Otherwise, try the Murmur.

Praha4
03-06-2011, 13:56
I'm currently selling a new Gossamer Gear Gorilla, size Medium, here on WB. Just listed it here a couple days ago under "selling used gear".

10-K
03-06-2011, 14:02
I'm currently selling a new Gossamer Gear Gorilla, size Medium, here on WB. Just listed it here a couple days ago under "selling used gear".

I'm a large. :)

STICK
03-06-2011, 15:15
I say go for it. If it is what you want, don't compromise just to have something else now.

I didn't want to wait for the Gossamer Gear LT4's a while back and went ahead and got some Leki's that I had previously wanted. And sure, I am happy with the Leki's and they will work, but I still want the LT4's. Now I have to wait longer since I done spent the $$$ though... but I will get them...

I am currently about 6 weeks into my 12 week wait for my custom quilt from Javan Dempsey. And honestly, it ain't been that bad so far. it was harder for me to just say yes than it has been for me actually waiting on it. However, once it gets down to about a week or so I may get a little more anxious, but then it will be a very short wait...

I am drooling over the Lightheart Solo in cuben. I am really going to have to wait on this though. First off, I gotta save the $$$ (about $600). Then I don't care how long the wait is, I will get it. I just hope she is still in the business by then though...I am wanting to use this for my thru in 2013...

So, it is worth it. Sure you can run to REI and pick up most anything they sell and have it now, but they don't sell it all. These guys are making products that work and are super light so everyone wants one naturally.

So, go for it...

Say yes...

Pull the trigger...

And smile...

:)

(You can do it)

Helios
03-06-2011, 17:35
I worked out the set up I wanted for the pack with Joe via email, and ordered my cuben Blast today. I am very pleased with this decision and will gladly await it's arrival. In the mean time my 6 moon designs swift and I will go out for a short weekend or two for some fun, and I'll still be pretty darn light!

Penguin
03-07-2011, 05:44
I'll be ordering the Blast 26 later today and some other fun stuff from Joe like the Hexamid tarp. Seems like this is the lightest stuff out there.

Guino

10-K
03-07-2011, 08:07
After thinking about it more (and reflecting on all the money I've spent at Golite) I think I'm going to have a closer look at the Gossamer Gear Gorilla or ULA CDT pack. All these packs are within a few oz's of each other by the time you add comparable features to them.

I did order a pair of shoulder pouches so I can trick out my Swift pack a bit though. :)

58starter
03-07-2011, 10:36
10 K I thought you said your had finished with the gear issues?

SouthMark
03-07-2011, 11:29
10K, I own a Gossamer Gear Gorilla and while it is the most comfortable pack I have ever used (and I have used many) I think that it is too large for sub 20 lbs. I use my Gossamer Gear Murmur for sub 20 trips. I have already been playing around with gear for this year's 130 mile section in Maine. My base weight is under seven pounds and estimated pack weight with food and water for 6-7 days is under 18 pounds. This still does not totally fill the Murmur. YMMV.

10-K
03-07-2011, 16:32
10K, I own a Gossamer Gear Gorilla and while it is the most comfortable pack I have ever used (and I have used many) I think that it is too large for sub 20 lbs. I use my Gossamer Gear Murmur for sub 20 trips. I have already been playing around with gear for this year's 130 mile section in Maine. My base weight is under seven pounds and estimated pack weight with food and water for 6-7 days is under 18 pounds. This still does not totally fill the Murmur. YMMV.

I like the Murmur except for the fact it doesn't have hip belt pockets. :(

I know that adds a bit of weight but I really need the pockets for "stuff".

Big Dawg
03-07-2011, 17:47
10 K I thought you said your had finished with the gear issues?

Are we all ever really finished?:D Well,, except for Lone Wolf,, he finished a decade or so ago.:cool:

It seems I always have something I MUST buy regarding backpacking. I have a gear addiction,, like most on this site.

10-K
03-07-2011, 18:05
Are we all ever really finished?:D Well,, except for Lone Wolf,, he finished a decade or so ago.:cool:

It seems I always have something I MUST buy regarding backpacking. I have a gear addiction,, like most on this site.

Well, we sold our house in Wilmington and the closing was last week. I just happened to "reserve" a little bit of the money to indulge myself with - thought I'd spend a bit of it on hiking gear ya know...

(also was able to pay off my Golite tab without stressing out the missus.)

10-K
03-07-2011, 19:01
I just ordered a Blast 26!

Coin toss between the 20 and 26 but I opted for the 26.

Helios
03-07-2011, 19:08

Excellent choice! :D

SouthMark
03-07-2011, 19:48
I like the Murmur except for the fact it doesn't have hip belt pockets. :(

I know that adds a bit of weight but I really need the pockets for "stuff".

The Gorilla does not come with hip belt pockets either. I have a set of Gossamer Gear hip belt pockets and a shoulder strap pocket that fit both packs but I use a set of ZPacks hip belt pockets on the Murmur. They are lighter.

STICK
03-07-2011, 23:31

Just please post some picks... alot of them... :)

10-K
03-08-2011, 08:10
My next trick will be trying to get everything I need for a 3 week hike in the pack. I'm not sure I can get my gear and 4 days worth of food in a 2600 cc pack.

If it were summer, no problem but in early April including 90 miles in GSMNP I'm going to have some cold weather gear too.

Helios
03-08-2011, 09:31
My next trick will be trying to get everything I need for a 3 week hike in the pack. I'm not sure I can get my gear and 4 days worth of food in a 2600 cc pack.

If it were summer, no problem but in early April including 90 miles in GSMNP I'm going to have some cold weather gear too.

Kinda why I chose the Blast 32. I go out all year long, whenever possible. Needed the space for winter gear, but noted how well this pack and fold down and cinch up if necessary for when I don't take so much.

Either way, lightest pack out there and an excellent choice!

10-K
03-08-2011, 13:04
Kinda why I chose the Blast 32. I go out all year long, whenever possible. Needed the space for winter gear, but noted how well this pack and fold down and cinch up if necessary for when I don't take so much.

Either way, lightest pack out there and an excellent choice!

Fortunately I was able to change my order to a 32 as well. Still a bit smaller than my Swift and about half the weight.

Dadof5
07-30-2011, 19:45
I just used the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus for a 10 lb base and about 21 lbs all in food and water for 5 days and found it hugely comfortable and a perfect size, especially since you can pull the bunji cords tight, roll up the top, and really get a small pack as you go through your food. I used it with the support. Great pack!

Dadof5
07-30-2011, 19:52
I just used the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus for a 10 lb base and about 21 lbs all in food and water for 5 days and found it hugely comfortable and a perfect size, especially since you can pull the bunji cords tight, roll up the top, and really get a small pack as you go through your food.  I used it with the support.   Great pack!

STICK
07-31-2011, 01:43
So 10-K, I thought you had the 26...

I almost pulled the trigger yesterday on a ZPacks Small CF Zero pack with a few options (2 side pockets, mesh front pocket, sternum strap and hip belt). The total cost was about $150 and the sweet thing is that the weight for it all was 5 oz! (about 3 oz lighter than the Murmur.) Although, my budget was just under that... that's ok...the time will come soon...

Wags
07-31-2011, 02:32
i have that same pack stick, minus the hip belt and sternum strap. did a 5 day trip with it (base weight under 8 lbs). loved it.