PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find the tarp I want, 5-6' x 9-10' straight cut.

atcowboy
03-06-2011, 10:52
Does anyone know of a vendor that makes a tarp in this size range?
The closest I have found is MLD Grace Solo, which is a tempting tarp. I just don't know how well or if really at all this tarp could be pitched in say a diamond or lean too, modified lean too, etc.

Helios
03-06-2011, 11:46
http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/tarps.shtml

Maybe a bit $$, but you can't beat the weight of cuben fiber! Great tarps!

Hooch
03-06-2011, 11:51
Talk to Brian at Outdoor Equipment Supplier (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/) (OES). He has a wide range of tarps from which to choose and does custom work for a very reasonable price.

atcowboy
03-07-2011, 21:37
What do you think.
6x10 cuben .52oz/yrd $190 (8wk lead)
6x10 SpinnUL ?oz/yrd $140 (2 wk lead)

Anyone have experience pitching both of these types of tarp? The weight is going to be close probably ~4oz to ~8-9oz so I'm now thinking durability (I don't want it to last JUST my thru-hike) and pitch-ability/noise. The weight and price are close and the lead time doesn't really matter at this point, so who liked what?

- Cowboy

stranger
03-08-2011, 06:36
OES is useless in returning emails IMO, I wouldn't bother with them. You can't beat the construction on a Mountain Laurel Designs product from what I've seen, they are top notch, and offer Cuben, Spinnaker and Silnylon, and will do custom work but it will take a while.

I highly recommend MLD for design, weight, price options and construction. They also answer their emails.

atcowboy
03-08-2011, 06:51
OES is useless in returning emails IMO, I wouldn't bother with them. You can't beat the construction on a Mountain Laurel Designs product from what I've seen, they are top notch, and offer Cuben, Spinnaker and Silnylon, and will do custom work but it will take a while.

I highly recommend MLD for design, weight, price options and construction. They also answer their emails.

No, actually he became quite unresponsive when I told him I wanted a tarp other than offered on his website. A few emails describing what I want but the last went unanswered.

Cowboy

Papa D
03-08-2011, 08:47
Diamond Brand Outfitter Store near Asheville, NC used to have a guy they outsourced to that made custom tarps - I have 3 of them - they are super heavy duty and I wouldn't personally backpack with them (they were for groups) but they were bombproof - pack cloth, brass grommits, etc. - super tough - the guy could probably make anything you want if he is still around. He lives in Brevard, NC. You could call Diamond Brand and ask them - (828) 684-6262 -

stranger
03-09-2011, 01:31
No, actually he became quite unresponsive when I told him I wanted a tarp other than offered on his website. A few emails describing what I want but the last went unanswered.

Cowboy

When you say 'he' do you mean Ron at MLD, or Brian at OES??

No one likes custom orders, but look around, there are others who do custom work

Iceaxe
03-09-2011, 01:58
"Trying to find the tarp I want, 5-6' x 9-10' straight cut. "

Actually not to nitpick.. but your description is a bit vague.
It looks like you want a tarp 5 to 6 feet wide by 9 to 10 feet long.
I think what you might be asking for is 5 foot 6 inches by 9 foot 10 inches correct?
The conventional way to write this is 5' 6" X 9' 10"
The ( ' ) symbol is used for feet and the ( " ) is for inches.
I am just guessing that might be where the confusion is.
If I am wrong about that, sorry.. just trying to help.

dgposey
03-09-2011, 02:01
I'm using a tarp from a Hennesy Hammock ... without the hammock. You can order them individually from the website. I'm guestimating that it's about those dimensions.

atcowboy
03-09-2011, 06:52
When you say 'he' do you mean Ron at MLD, or Brian at OES??

No one likes custom orders, but look around, there are others who do custom work

Ron at MLD.
I don't really think adding an extra foot or two to a base design is very custom. Width could quite possibly be VERY custom (bolts are only so wide) but making a square piece of cloth longer seems pretty straight forward.

Cowboy

atcowboy
03-09-2011, 06:55

Nope that would be correct.
A single tick ' also means minutes, and " also means seconds, when measuring angles. I wonder if there is some deep correlation between them. :-?

Two Tents
03-09-2011, 08:35
Integral designs has a siltarp close to your dimensions. A golite poncho tarp would be close then you could get dual use.

Iceaxe
03-09-2011, 11:19

"Nope that would be correct. "

I think I can see where Ron would be confused. They already sell the Monk Tarp in that size range.

MLD rectangular Monk Tarp specs:
1.35 Silnylon
5.2' X 9'
8.9oz 8.5oz without LineLocs
$80
Gray, Yellow or Olive Brown - Note Color in Comments Field When Checking Out

skinewmexico
03-09-2011, 11:36
You might try Oware too.

FamilyGuy
03-09-2011, 13:17
Hilleberg used to offer a similar size - 5x11. The UL5 tarp but discontinued it. Most users wanted a little more width. I think 5 feet is pushing it for coverage.

stranger
03-10-2011, 09:58
Ron at MLD.
I don't really think adding an extra foot or two to a base design is very custom. Width could quite possibly be VERY custom (bolts are only so wide) but making a square piece of cloth longer seems pretty straight forward.

Cowboy

Agreed mate, adding a foot to an existing design is not exactly custom work in my opinion either, but what alot of people don't realise is how alot of this gear is actually built, it's cut in hundreds of patterns, only those patterns, and any alteration to ANY patter is often problematic and sometimes expensive.

I don't know what MLD does, whether or not they manufacture in house, but considering he has a 5 week waiting period for 'stock' products, I can see why he wouldn't want to mess with anything else.

After all, it's a business, and any disruption to a business costs money.

Send me a PM if you want a reliable, high end company that is willing to do custom work as relatively short notice, assuming it's not entirely disruptive. I don't want to advertise this as it might create an influx of custom requests which would unfair to this company.

atcowboy
03-11-2011, 06:26
Integral designs has a siltarp close to your dimensions. A golite poncho tarp would be close then you could get dual use.

Integral designs seemed pretty standard in size, and I don't really want to use my shelter as my rain gear. It's tempting, but I don't think it would fit my hike.

"Nope that would be correct. "

I think I can see where Ron would be confused. They already sell the Monk Tarp in that size range.

MLD rectangular Monk Tarp specs:
1.35 Silnylon
5.2' X 9'
8.9oz 8.5oz without LineLocs
$80
Gray, Yellow or Olive Brown - Note Color in Comments Field When Checking Out

I don't think it would be that confusing. I asked him to add a foot to that tarp...

Hilleberg used to offer a similar size - 5x11. The UL5 tarp but discontinued it. Most users wanted a little more width. I think 5 feet is pushing it for coverage.

I would agree that it's pushing it, as a guess. I've never used a tarp this small so I don't know. I used to hike as a 2 person 1 dog group. Now it's just me in the dog, so I don't want to hump a 2+ lb. taffeta tarp. I also don't want to spend the night in misery, ram rod straight, yelling at the dog to stay just as still, so I could save carrying .8oz.

KMACK
03-11-2011, 06:57
http://www.shop.backpackingadventuregear.com/sil-nylon-tarps-starting-at-Siltarps.htm

6 x 10 sil 9oz

bigcranky
03-11-2011, 10:05
I bought an Equinox 8x10 silnylon tarp and cut it down to 6x10. Easy enough to sew the hem and the two corner tie-outs.

atcowboy
03-11-2011, 20:19
http://www.shop.backpackingadventuregear.com/sil-nylon-tarps-starting-at-Siltarps.htm

6 x 10 sil 9oz

Nice thank you. Great price too. Just waiting on quotes and I'll make my choice soon.