PDA

View Full Version : Southern NC 30mi route?

03SpyderGTS
03-06-2011, 12:05
Were are planning a 30 mi hiking trip for 3 days to start in about a week. We are looking to start at the Deep Gap and ending at The Winding Star. According to trails.com its around 30 miles long. We will have two cars. Leave one at the beginning and end of the trail at those locations. Does anyone know if this is possible. Would it be better to leave the cars at a local town and take a shuttle. How much to they cost? Any other ideas on better hiking sections, avoiding the smokys?

03SpyderGTS
03-06-2011, 12:33
After some more research. Albert Mountain to Tellico Gap might be the best choice. Around 30 mi and I saw designated parking spaces for both those places. Anyone park at those before?

CrumbSnatcher
03-06-2011, 13:46
Were are planning a 30 mi hiking trip for 3 days to start in about a week. We are looking to start at the Deep Gap and ending at The Winding Star. According to trails.com its around 30 miles long. We will have two cars. Leave one at the beginning and end of the trail at those locations. Does anyone know if this is possible. Would it be better to leave the cars at a local town and take a shuttle. How much to they cost? Any other ideas on better hiking sections, avoiding the smokys?
PM Ron Haven for a shuttle and a nice motel stay when your done:cool:

Papa D
03-06-2011, 16:40
Sounds fine, BUT if you can make it to Tellico Gap, it's only 8 more miles NOBO to the NOC and there is some fun hiking in there - a fire tower to climb and a knife-edge ridge, et al. The NOC also has beer, shuttles available, a hiker rooms (known as "base camp") and did I mention, BEER? - Telico Gap is at the top of a long rutted out dirt road that takes forever to drive up - the shuttle is sort of cumbersome to there.

generoll
03-06-2011, 21:28
I'd suggest you think about doing the Standing Indian Loop. Park at the Backcountry Information Kiosk and hike up Kimsey Creek Trail to the AT and then hike around to Glassmine Gap and come out right back at your car(s). The road to Deep Gap is gated and I'm told will be closed until April 1. Mooney Gap is quite small and has very limited room to park. You do have more room at Bear Pen Gap, but that's also small and pretty isolated for a car. I'd rather strip a car there then park one.

The mileage is only about 21 miles, but it has nice views, good campsites, and is just generally one of my favorite sections of trail.

Papa D
03-06-2011, 21:39
You can drive up the road past Tate City Ga (north off of US 76 and then a turn into at the Wildllife Mgmt Area Sign) - this is the upper Talullah River - go till the road dead-ends (look at a map) but the trail there (i think it's about a mile) puts you at (or really near) Deep Gap.

generoll
03-07-2011, 07:38
I picked up a hiker there once who took the wrong trail out of Deep Gap and was really lost.

FWIW, Tate City is kind of like Suches. It's more of an idea then an actual town.

Papa D
03-07-2011, 08:43
Agreed - assuming you find the right road up the Talulllah R. watershed, there are two trails that terminate there - if you are more or less lucid, you should be able to follow the one to deep gap - if you take the wrong one, you still get to the AT - about 1 mile north of the standing indian mtn shelter - you end up figuring it out - there is a USFS map of the area too.

Tennessee Viking
03-07-2011, 09:36
Its not suggested to park at Winding Stair Gap overnight. It has had a history of vandalism.

Either check with Ron Haven about a shuttle from Franklin. He will be doing regular runs for thru-hikers at this time. Or just take one car and do the loop from the Standing Indian campground.