PDA

View Full Version : GoLite's Cave tents

SiuWonfung
01-09-2005, 21:48
Any comments on GoLite's Cave tents or Lair tents or any other light tents of similar design? (2 person)

Footslogger
01-09-2005, 21:53
I own the Cave but it's the one person version.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SiuWonfung
01-09-2005, 22:09
thats cool, what do you think about the 1 person version?

Footslogger
01-09-2005, 23:39
thats cool, what do you think about the 1 person version?=======================
It's not bad for a tapered tarp. I used the Cave I with an OR Bug Bivy when I was in the Shennies on my thru in 2003. Plenty of room for me and my gear. Lots of lines and tie down points. Thing comes with 12 stakes (way too many). If you're not around trees you need to use sticks to elevate and tie out the side lines to make it taut and provide decent room in the mid section. It does have a small "beak" in front that acts to shed some rain and in really bad weather you can pitch it really close to the ground. All in all a pretty flexible tarp.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Whistler
01-10-2005, 13:29
I own the Lair 2. It's a solid choice for me. Pitching is pretty obvious, and fairly quick to do. I can fit myself and another like-minded hiker just fine, so it's very spacious for one person. I like the big open-side design for cooking, staring out into space, etc. It adjusts fairly easily to low and high pitches for different conditions.

My only two complaints are: 1. The GoLite stakes are a little heavy for my tastes. 2. The walls on the 2 person model are pretty expansive and lack tie-outs like the Cave models have. Your shelter could suffer if you have heavy, variable winds. Those walls can also sag a bit and cramp your space as the guylines & fabric stretch.

All things considered, I like it quite a bit.
-Mark

The Solemates
01-10-2005, 14:38
We like the Mtn Hardwear Waypoint.

Jaybird
01-10-2005, 15:18
i actually thought i'd throw away my Kelty Dart-2 & buy a GoLite...til i checked out the price!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-gad! :D

The Solemates
01-10-2005, 15:29
eeeee-gad?

Jaybird
01-10-2005, 15:38
eeeee-gad?

yea! e-gad=An exclamation expressing exultation or surprise, etc.

so therefore...eeeee-gad! would be the above times 5...(i guess...)
heheheheheehee :D

come on' work with me....the tent cost a load of green for what it is.
thats what i wuz trying to relate.

Tha Wookie
01-10-2005, 20:09
Ray Jardine, who designed the Cave, has made some changes and offers a make-it-yourself pre-cut kit and how-to book at his site, www.rayjardine.com (http://www.rayjardine.com). I saw a whole bunch of them made from his students at his first Connection Camps in 2003, and they were nicer and more sturdy than the Golite one that I have used for over 7,000 miles.

The design is great. I've been in many sitiuations including blowing snow and I desire nothing else.