PDA

View Full Version : Trail runners vs hiking boots

Kernel
03-06-2011, 21:45
As my mid-weight hiking boots are almost worn out, I got trough some posts that nowadays many thru-hikers are now using trail runners. I was wondering: based on your experience, would trail runners be any good in the Whites during summertime ? I am a day hiker (Mts Washington, Lafayette, etc) but am looking at peakbagging more 4000 footers during weekend trips this summer, even maybe section-hiking the AT in NH with a 30-35 pounds backpack. Any toughts or experience would be welcome.
Thanks,

Kernel

elray
03-06-2011, 22:17
During the eleven years I've been sectioning the AT there has been a dramatic shift towards trail runners and lightweight hiking shoes and the gear manufacturers are quick to recognize the trend. Just remember that there is no such thing as a waterproof boot, or shoe for that matter, but the shoe will be dry long before the boot and weigh much less during the process. The pack weight you cited is well within the range of most lightweight hikers. I personally made the switch to New Balance years ago and will never go back to boots.

GoonerYank
03-06-2011, 23:10
I have been using trail runners for years and would never go back. Usually my pack is about 30 pounds on weeklong backpacking trips and I never have any foot pain. Not even any hot spots with my Vasque trail runners. This was a big plus as I always had trouble finding a pair of boots that were comfortable for an extended period of time on the trail. It all comes down to preference. If the trail runners feel right to you, use them. They may wear down a bit more quickly but for a more comfortable, pain free hiking experience it's worth it.

crazystick
03-07-2011, 13:24
Trail runners all the way! But only if u have the packweight to match! Heavy packs also mean more chance of injuring ankles without ankle support. Light pack + light feet = more fun

Kernel
03-07-2011, 13:41
Thanks all for the advice: as I am trying to keep my pack under 35 pounds with food and am using hiking poles, I will probably do the switch. Any brand seem to perform better, or is it just a matter of preference ? (I read New Balance cited above) Thanks again,

garlic08
03-07-2011, 13:48
Good notes above. I'll add that I've found my ankles gradually strengthened after I switched to trail runners. For the first season, I felt I needed to watch my footing more. Now, many seasons and trails later, I don't even notice it and no longer turn my ankles like I used to do occasionally wearing boots. Making the switch improved my hiking more than I can say, but not everyone has had that experience. I hope it works well for you.

sixguns01
03-07-2011, 14:09
Thanks all for the advice: as I am trying to keep my pack under 35 pounds with food and am using hiking poles, I will probably do the switch. Any brand seem to perform better, or is it just a matter of preference ? (I read New Balance cited above) Thanks again,

Made Switch last year from Asolo GTX boots to trailrunners. Love Them! My boots still got water in them, and held that water and sweat in them. Pruned the crap out of my feet; painful. Trailrunners (non-GTX) will dry out as you hike; just use good fast drying socks.

I use Salomon TrailRunners; XA Pro 3D Ultra and XT Wings. They provide excellent arch support and dry quickly. Come'on, even the names saound cool (joking). Seriously, they provide all the comfort I need on the trail. What was it, 1 pound on your feet equals 5 pounds on your back.

My knees aren't the best and since I switched, I don't have the same fatigue as I used too.

http://www.rei.com/product/807599

http://www.rei.com/product/795757

sixhusbands
03-07-2011, 14:11
I have spent 16 summers taking groups peak bagging in the Whites. I tried using trail runners just once and never again! My reasoning is that if you are peak bagging in the Whites , you will spend a lot of time on the rocks and a lot of time on the rocks above the treeline. Those rocks that get hammered by the wind and weather are very rough and they are not favorable to the nylon of trail runners. Plus you metioned carrying 30 plus pounds which will take its toll on your body going down the rocks. I use the Vasque Sundowners with not problems.
There is a great challange for the peak bagger in the 31 mile Pemi loop. Start and finish at Lincoln woods trail head parking and you can get 8 peaks in one long day ( 11 if you go after North Twin, Galehead and West Bond).

10-K
03-07-2011, 16:07
I have spent 16 summers taking groups peak bagging in the Whites. I tried using trail runners just once and never again! My reasoning is that if you are peak bagging in the Whites , you will spend a lot of time on the rocks and a lot of time on the rocks above the treeline. Those rocks that get hammered by the wind and weather are very rough and they are not favorable to the nylon of trail runners.

I was just going to say - my trail runners took about 125 miles of NE rocks before lugs started coming off.

I wear Brooks Adrenaline ASR's.

Bags4266
03-07-2011, 16:18
Just bought the Nike Air Alvord 8, they are very resonable under $50 and got great reviews. Shoes only last me 300 400 miles anyway.

BrianLe
03-07-2011, 19:17
I used trail runners last year and would do so again. The one suggestion I have for the Whites and just in general for NH and Maine is to perhaps look for shoes that have a bit more than average in the way of surface contact with the ground --- i.e., a limited set of lugs en contact provides less friction with smooth rock than does something with more overall contact. The smooth rock on wet days, plus of course the smooth tree roots were such that I fell more in NH and ME than I have in thousands of miles of hiking in other places (including the rest of the AT).

SassyWindsor
03-07-2011, 22:33
I believe in the long run, trail shoes will cost more, maybe much more, than a quality re-soleable boot, if money is a concern. I was gung-ho on shoes until I realized the 2-3 times I pay for the boots will end up being cheaper. Currently, I use Merrell Radius trail shoes for day and light overnight hikes, Scarpa and Fabiano (both non-gtx) boots for the real stuff. I hike light and fast, and I've found that I cover just as much ground with the boots, but feel better afterwords than if I had used the shoes. I'm on my third or fourth pair of trail shoes, and have the miles to at least prove it to myself. My primary problem: rocks and what they do to my feet, ankles, back and knees, boots just seem to do better for me. I also hate to toss away a pair of expensive shoes with only 700 or so miles on them.

Papa D
03-07-2011, 23:33
I did the boot thing for so long - I was so wrong - trail runners or just tennis shoes get it done so well - i wear trail runners and gaiters in the snow up to about 3 or 4 inches. They are lighter, put less stress on your legs, are faster, more nimble, and you won't twist your ankle more like people say either. I do weigh 150 lbs and this is my personal experience - I do wear boots in the extreme cold (under 15 deg. F) and in deep snow - other than that - my LaSportiva Trail Shoes get the nod.

skybrew
03-08-2011, 01:36
I'm 170#, 5'9" and my NOBO pack will probably be 32-35# at the start. I use Vasque Breeze GTX hiking boots as they give me ankle support and cushioning from the rocks. And they've done well in the rain with their Goretex liner. I apply NikWax waterproofing to the leather parts and stay reasonably dry in light rains. Everything gets wet in the floods. I may switch to my Merrill trail shoes after the PA rocks and then back to the Vasques for VT northward. I need the foot protection from rocks that my trail shoes just don't provide with more than a day pack. YMMV as with most things.

fredmugs
03-08-2011, 11:30
My trail runners are Merrell Moabs because they come in a wide width and I like to have wiggle room up front. No problems rolling over Washington last year.

Boots aren't going to provide additional ankle support either.

Slosteppin
03-08-2011, 21:15
Several years ago two sons and I hiked for a week in New Hampshire. None of us talked about shoes before we started. It just happened that we all wore New Balance trail runners. It was my first backpacking with trail runners. I had been using heavy leather boots for over 15 years.
That was a good hike. The youngest lives in Maine. He pointed out the lights of Mt Washington every night.
I've been wearing trail runners for all my backpacking since then, including hikes in northern MI, MN and WI.