PDA

View Full Version : Is 1 night on Mt. Cammerer worth it? In Late March?

tarjav83
03-07-2011, 01:26
Hey guys,
I'm comin from Chicago and headed toward Charlotte on the 21st of March. So technically I'm just passin through on US Rte. 40, but I been dreamin of settin foot on the A.T. for some time so I got my gear packed n im pumped! I only got 1 night before I gotta get to Charlotte...so this is my chance! I scouted a few locations...n for convenience I think I'm set on the Mt. Cammerer area. Plan on spending the night on Lower Mt. Cammerer Trail

BUT...theres a few concerns.

first, its been years since I did any rugged hiking r camping. Now I recently survived trekking a couple of miles during Chicago's blizzard of 2011, but I dont want to go through anything like that for a long time. Plus, I live in the cold...so I kinda want to stay away from it!

other than that...i was curious if I should use my 2person tent or my Hennessy Hammock..

So...In late march...is it worth the hassle of getting dropped off along the trail, and spending the $ to get to Charlotte?

jeremiah j
03-07-2011, 02:20
Yes it's worth it. Should be prepared for cold weather just in case. I would take a tent but that's my preference. Just remember if you don't get a permit and stay in a designated backcountry site the rangers will ticket you and maybe run you off. I stayed on Mt Cammerer 1 nite about 15 yrs ago. Great spot. Good luck:)

curtisvowen
03-07-2011, 07:26
Camping/tenting at the tower is illegal.

The Cleaner
03-07-2011, 09:14
I stayed in the tower back in '84.Just arrive late and the Park Rangers should'nt be around.They're government workers8-5:rolleyes:.....

curtisvowen
03-07-2011, 09:41
Camping/tenting at the tower is illegal.

Tennessee Viking
03-07-2011, 09:51
The Smokies have too many restrictions for a simple in&out one nighter. I would just head up to Max Patch if you just want to car camp. Or continue to Lemon Gap and hike back to Max Patch for a longer hike.

Or possibly Sams Gap to Big Bald.

Carvers Gap to 19E. You can then head thru Boone and Wilkesboro to I77 and down to Charlotte.

rgarling
03-07-2011, 10:34
i second the carver's gap to 19E. Nice series of balds with nice views.

Buffalo Skipper
03-07-2011, 10:43
For those of you not paying attention or familiar, the Lower Mt Cammerer Trail does not go up to Mt Cammerer, but goes around it to the north. It is not a particularly difficult trail, but it does hook up with the AT near the base of Cammerer, just above (south of) Davenport Gap Shelter. The only campsite on the trail is #35, Gilliland Creek, which is a shared horse campsite at 2700'. You should be all right to either hammock or tent.

tarjav83, what part of the AT are you looking at hiking? The short section from the Lower Mt Cammerer Trail junction to Davenport Gap? That is only about 3 miles. Seems like a lot of work to only hike 3 miles of the AT if the AT is your goal.

On the other hand, this is a nice trail, and you should have fun, even in March. Remember, you are on the north slope, so will in the shade much of the day, even on the Spring Equinox. Let us know if you need anything else.

wornoutboots
03-07-2011, 10:56
Welcome to WB tarjav83!! Go for it! it is an Amazing Place!! it is not that rough of a hike! Go to your local outfitter & grab a map if you don't have one & reserve the most logical legal campsite for your personal mileage desires. FYI-many ppl have slept in the tower, it's totaly enclosed, just in case you run into fowl weather & need a place of refuge.

elray
03-07-2011, 10:57
Just a thought but the hike from Newfound Gap on the AT and then out to the Leconte Shelter via the Boulevard Trail is a nice hike. If you're intent on a Smokies hike that is.

beartripper
03-07-2011, 12:02
Cosby campground opens on March 11, 2011. You can camp in this campground and then hike up the Low Gap trail to the AT and head to Mt Cammerer and return in about five hours if you choose. The distance is around ten miles. If the weather permits you will have some great views.

tarjav83
03-08-2011, 00:03
Thanks for positive feedback all! I feel a lot better about doin a solo camp out near Cammerer since readin all ur posts. The Chicagoland is uninterestingly flat, so planing for sever weather and drastic changes doesnt seem that difficult out here in early spring. but I always try to prepared while remaining lightweight.
anyways Ive been researching many locations along the AT for quite some time...n really...I'd like to set foot on 'em all! But that's just not in my cards. So I picked Mt. Cammerer since it's in the Smokeys...but just south of the Cherokee Forrest.
Also, it's right along Rte. 40, which was another factor. Thats how I'll be coming into NC anyways.

@ Buffalo Skipper - My goal is is more about traveling the AT than anything so I planned on starting my hike near the Standing Bear Hostel, about a mile north of rte. 40 n right near the AT. I figured I'd like to start out in Cherokee Forest n work my way south to the Smokeys, set up camp...then head back in the morning.

I forgot to mention earlier that I got 2 choices regarding getting to the trail; either my family drops me off on their way to Charlotte and I find my way to Charlotte after the hike, or I actually drive through to Charlotte first (rent a car if my good ol' ma cant lend me hers)...then backtrack back to the AT (thanks to the economy...probably whichever's cheapest). I kno, I kno...it seems like a hassle and maybe even rediculous just to take a hike....but this is how bad I'm itchin to set foot on the AT, which is also why I asked you all if its worth it in late March. Plus, I don't know if i'll ever get the chance again...so in my opinion its either go through the hassle now r possibly never go @ all.

Gray Blazer
03-08-2011, 08:29
I did not ask, but a ridgerunner mentioned to me that Cammerrer tower would be a good place to spend the night. Still illegal. I wonder if you just sat there all night and didn't really "camp" there. Course you might have to spread out your sleeping bag.

Cabin Fever
03-08-2011, 08:37
While still illegal, I have heard numerous accounts of people staying in the Cammerer tower without being caught or fined. Never heard of one person being caught or fined there. But then again, who would want to tell on themself.

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 11:17
I stayed in the tower back in '84.Just arrive late and the Park Rangers should'nt be around.They're government workers8-5:rolleyes:.....

Hey! I was a "government worker" for eight years and worked hard, so lay off the gratuitous, below-the-belt, cheap shot scapegoating. Maybe they're not at Cammermer in the middle of the night because they are efficient and working where the real problems are.

So technically I'm just passin through on US Rte. 40 ....

Uh, technically, US Rte. 40 goes through St. Louis, no where near the GSMNP. But if you mean I-40, then we're cooking with gas, as my 8th-grade English teacher used to proclaim.

When I "thru-hiked" the GSMNP, I made a point to do the side trip out to Mt. Cammerer. Even though it was in the clouds and fog for 99% of the time I was there (about an hour), I considered it well worth it and am glad I did it.

Keep in mind, the snow is only a possibility. However, the long, long climb up from I-40 is a reality. Have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
03-08-2011, 11:28
... Park Rangers ...They're government workers8-5:rolleyes:.....

I find that pretty offensive.:mad:

Gray Blazer
03-08-2011, 12:47
I'm a govt. worker and I thought it was funny. YMMV

However, those ridgerunnerz and rangerz are out there and staying at the sheltersz (sometimez) overnite.

Cookerhiker
03-08-2011, 13:15
I'm a govt. worker and I thought it was funny. YMMV

However, those ridgerunnerz and rangerz are out there and staying at the sheltersz (sometimez) overnite.

I have no problem with poking fun at most things including govt workers. And your posts are often funny.

But in this one, the so-called "Cleaner" didn't say this in a humorous vein or context. Rather, it was a condescending and obnoxious slap. So no, it wasn't funny, it sucked.

Chaco Taco
03-08-2011, 13:35
Ridgerunners will be out and can fine you

Gray Blazer
03-08-2011, 15:06
I have no problem with poking fun at most things including govt workers. And your posts are often funny.

But in this one, the so-called "Cleaner" didn't say this in a humorous vein or context. Rather, it was a condescending and obnoxious slap. So no, it wasn't funny, it sucked.

Govt. workers are taking a lot of heat these days.

STICK
03-08-2011, 15:36
Last I checked, 35 was still closed. Been a few days though, so it may have changed.

dmax
03-08-2011, 15:57
You might want to get your legs in shape over at Indiana Dunes. Hiking that dune 5 or 6 times in a row would sure help.

Also, you could rent a car in Knoxville and drop it off in Charelotte. And watch the weather before you go and have a back up plan incase the Smokys get snow. There are plenty of places around incase that does happen.