PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on MRE packs in food drops

DnB VpR
03-07-2011, 01:27
I just wanted to get some input on sending MRE food packs with food drops, is it a good idea or is it best to stick with the other types of dehydrated food packs?

swjohnsey
03-07-2011, 09:18
MREs are expensive, heavy and produce alot of trash if not stripped. I can think of lots of food that is better and cheaper and most if it is not expensive freeze dried stuff.

Two MREs weigh about 3 pounds a produce about 2,500 calories.

Majortrauma
03-07-2011, 09:36
This horse has been kicked so many times I'm afraid the SPCA is going to shut down this website.
MRE's are really heavy in calories and equally heavy in weight and garbage if not stripped like swjohnsey says.
And yeah, $$ is not worth it; send something else.

DnB VpR
03-07-2011, 11:04
Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated :)

Tenderheart
03-07-2011, 11:56
Way too heavy!!!

litefoot 2000

Skid.
03-16-2011, 10:55
I met a hiker last year, former military, who used them exclusively. He carried at least one pound of food per day, generated a huge amount of trash, and had to really plan well for food drops. Only advantage I saw was not having to carry a stove, but I would want one anyway, if just to boil water for tea.

Warioto Walker
03-16-2011, 11:08
I intend on carrying MRE's. I was in the military, and I know their value. I didn't pay for mine so the cash invested is no issue. I was worried about trash. Is there no place to dispose of trash along the way? I am only walking for a week in GA, so trash is not that big of a deal, but I would like to drop it when possible.

Thatguy
03-16-2011, 12:09
There is a company that sells MRE entrees and sides individually. You can get an MRE side and entre for $5.00 total. I usually have MREs for my main meal of the day. I can't handle the dehydrated food. I've tried. To me MREs have a great variety and require no stove and they're much easier than cooking.

I usually get lectured on how much more I could get for $5.00 than one meal but again with me it's the variety. Having food I like at the end of the day is something I'm willing to pay for...and there better than the C-rations we had when I was in the army.

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 22:34
I intend on carrying MRE's. I was in the military, and I know their value. I didn't pay for mine so the cash invested is no issue. I was worried about trash. Is there no place to dispose of trash along the way? I am only walking for a week in GA, so trash is not that big of a deal, but I would like to drop it when possible.

There are bins every two or three miles and when they get full, the bears have been hired and trained to take them out and replace the bags.

:banana

I'm not sure, im just a jackass. :/

swjohnsey
03-20-2011, 22:50
If I remember correctly one MRE weighs about 1 3/4 lbs and contains about 1,250 calories if everything is consumed. A pretty minimal calorie intake is 2/day which is what the military allows in combat. Once stripped the trash packs flat so it doesn't take up much room.

Doughnut
03-21-2011, 12:42
I'd place a couple in food drops, MREs are not dehydrated (not the new ones anyway) that's the weight issue, however, they are tasty (to me) and good for the first night or two after a resupply.
Again, strip the bag (break them down) and enjoy,
I've carried them a few times, just rememebr to eat the heavy food first!

Enjoy you hike!

DoughNut

RayBan
03-21-2011, 12:59
Some people just decide to run a calorie deficit while out and eat up while in...

Brass Rat
03-21-2011, 13:06
MREs are expensive, heavy and produce alot of trash if not stripped. I can think of lots of food that is better and cheaper and most if it is not expensive freeze dried stuff.

Two MREs weigh about 3 pounds a produce about 2,500 calories.

Thanks for posting that... good info. Comes to around 50 calories per oz, vs. the 100 or so that I usually carry.

TimeSnake
03-21-2011, 16:36
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh