PDA

View Full Version : Convertible pants

Majortrauma
03-07-2011, 12:00
:-?Has anyone cracked the code on why convertible pants seem to be so outrageously priced??
One would think this was some new technology that the collective "they" had to recover their R&D $$ from.

Old Hiker
03-07-2011, 12:03
:-?Has anyone cracked the code on why convertible pants seem to be so outrageously priced??
One would think this was some new technology that the collective "they" had to recover their R&D $$ from.

Lots of man-hours to put the zippers in, esp. for two levels. Zippers cost more as well.

Goodwill - 3 pair - $3.50 each.

Wally - seen them for $10, but not my size.

Name brand - pay for the name.

Rick500
03-07-2011, 12:05
Altrec.com has Mountain Hardwear Mesa convertibles on sale today. $44 I think.

Outrider
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___11220

New ones at Campmor for $25.

I agree with Old Hiker, name brand you are paying more for the name.

Tenderheart
Don't waste your money. This is one of those great ideas that just doesn't work out, IMO.

litefoot 2000

HiKen2011
Campmor brand 19.95, i have 2 pair that are 2 small for me, what size you wear. These are medium's.

HiKen2011
03-07-2011, 12:08
Campmor brand 19.95, i have 2 pair that are 2 small for me, what size you wear. These are medium's.

They are brand new, never worn 30in. inseam, 34-35 waist, but seem to run a little small

sixguns01
03-07-2011, 13:00

I love Campmor and swing by twice a month, but i have had issues with their line of clothing. Buttons from their shirts just seem to fall off with no assistance. Seams very quickly start to unravel after minimal use. Paid more money repairing a piece of clothing from them then I did when I bought it.

I use Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants. Not really expensive and have last me for the last 5 years. Durable, comfy and quick drying.

HiKen2011
03-07-2011, 13:02
I love Campmor and swing by twice a month, but i have had issues with their line of clothing. Buttons from their shirts just seem to fall off with no assistance. Seams very quickly start to unravel after minimal use. Paid more money repairing a piece of clothing from them then I did when I bought it.

I use Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants. Not really expensive and have last me for the last 5 years. Durable, comfy and quick drying.

Same pants I use, 5 plus yrs on mine and still no real wear. Love columbia convertibles and they are typically around 40 bucks!

Majortrauma
03-07-2011, 13:12
Sorry, Ken...sent pvt msg b4 I Saw your other post.

Majortrauma
03-07-2011, 13:14
I hit the Goodwill 3 times a week for that type of thing and for whatever else I may need. Goodwill is the most amazing place to find dang near free stuff but only 1 pr of conv pants on the last 6 months.
It's astounding what people give away.

The Cleaner
03-07-2011, 13:28
Don't waste your money. This is one of those great ideas that just doesn't work out, IMO.

litefoot 2000
I agree,met several hikers that have problems w/the zippers.I wear shorts and carry lightweight camp pants in warm weather....

daddytwosticks
03-07-2011, 16:06
My Campmor convertable hiking pants are almost 8 years old. Some wear, but still has some life in them. Lost much weight since original purchase and they tend to be baggy, but my pants aren't "on the ground" yet. When their time comes, I'll purchase some new ones. BTW, ever wonder why they (plural) are a "pair" of pants? :)

Sunshine Tami Jo
03-07-2011, 16:40
My Campmor convertable hiking pants are almost 8 years old. Some wear, but still has some life in them. Lost much weight since original purchase and they tend to be baggy, but my pants aren't "on the ground" yet. When their time comes, I'll purchase some new ones. BTW, ever wonder why they (plural) are a "pair" of pants? :)

LOL, I've wondered that about a lot of things...a pair of glasses, a pair of shorts, a pair of underwear. Why not a pair of bras, if the pattern is to be continued?

sir limpsalot
03-07-2011, 21:22
...and another thing: is TNF the only manufacturer that figured out different color zippers for the legs (or some like marking) just makes good sense?

Iceaxe
03-07-2011, 21:38
...and another thing: is TNF the only manufacturer that figured out different color zippers for the legs (or some like marking) just makes good sense?

Ha! you got me thinking and since i was wearing my Columbia PFG convertible pants i took the legs off and tried to swap them... No luck the zippers start in the opposite direction.
It's funny that i carried these pants on the trail before but never used them as shorts. I always had a dedicated pair of shorts to hike in.
The idea of convertible pants seems great but i found the zipper "half" irritating when used in shorts mode. Also they are way long as far as shorts go.
If i didn't already own them i would just carry a cheapo pair of synthetic pants and separate shorts instead.
Anyhow these Columbia PFG's were $35.00 on sale at Mel Cotton's in San Jose.
The greatest thing about them is they dry Really fast.

Blissful
03-07-2011, 21:39
Look for good deals on them, they are out there

WhoDey
03-07-2011, 21:43
Sierra Trading Post always seems to have the Columbia Silver Ridge convert pants on sale. They work great for me

the judge
03-07-2011, 23:07
my friends and i have been watching Dunham's for sales and ebay. helps if you have plenty of time to watch for cheap prices to pop up out of nowhere.

harryfred
03-07-2011, 23:11

litefoot 2000
Hear! Hear!

runnergirl
03-08-2011, 00:13
I found a pair of cheap ones ($23.00) at Dunham's a few weeks ago; best deal I've seen on them so far. I searched Goodwill far and wide to find a pair to no avail.

10-K
03-08-2011, 08:39
They are brand new, never worn 30in. inseam, 34-35 waist, but seem to run a little small

I don't think I've ever found a pair that really fit.

I wear a 32x34 and I can *never* find a 34" inseam.

Every pair I have are like high-waters.

zombiegrad
03-08-2011, 12:17
I bought a pair of North Face convertible pants the other day and payed retail. Yeah, it sucked because I'm usually a bargain shopper, but I was really pleased with what I got for the money! Three pieces of clothing in one--pants, shorts, and capris. Good material, good fit, lightweight, dries quick. Can't complain too much, but yeah, I woulda been a lot happier if it was 30 bucks cheaper!

Amanita
03-09-2011, 16:03
Recently I went through the process of weighing all my hiking clothes, and imagine my surprise to discover that my 1 pair of "convertable" pants weighs as much as 1 pair of regular pants and 1 pair of shorts combined. Personally, I'd rather carry the separates.

Convertable pants are one trend I doubt I'll buy again.

gonehikn
03-12-2011, 00:51
I bought a pair of Columbia convertibles last year and they had tags on the zipper pulls (L and R). The only problem is the zipper pulls stay on the shorts. (guess they sewed the zippers on upside down), other than that I like them.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-12-2011, 05:19
check out Geartrade.com you can find them pretty cheap

RWBlue
03-12-2011, 13:16
I wore cotton convertible pants for years every day. They are very comfortable. Just remember cotton kills, so these are not the only pants you should have.

You may want to look at Cabelas.