PDA

View Full Version : Thermarest test

The Cleaner
03-07-2011, 13:35
What is the best way to find a slow leak in my Thermarest Prolite 4? Once inflated it seems to be okay till I lay on it about 3-4 hours then I notice I'm about half way out of air:eek:....Thanks for any help...

M1 Thumb
03-07-2011, 13:36
Put it in a bathtub filled with water.

10-K
May I be the first to suggest putting it (inflated) in a tub of water and look for air bubbles.

Helios
submerse in tub of water, squeeze,,, watch for bubbles.

10-K
03-07-2011, 13:38
Dang.. I came in second!

The Cleaner
03-07-2011, 13:46
Put it in a bathtub filled with water.
I thought about this ,just wondering if there was another way....Thanks anyway...:sun

10-K
03-07-2011, 13:50
I thought about this ,just wondering if there was another way....Thanks anyway...:sun

You could inflate it and dump the down from your sleeping bag out of the Jerry Cabin mouse holes and watch for the leak to blow the down!

sixguns01
03-07-2011, 14:10
TUB IT!

Came in 4th

randyg45
03-07-2011, 14:23
You could possibly just spray soapy water on it, like looking for a leak in a mounted truck tire.

swjohnsey
03-07-2011, 14:34
More exciting . . . fill it with butane/propane and use a match.

10-K
03-07-2011, 14:41
more exciting . . . Fill it with butane/propane and use a match.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

ShakeyLeggs
03-07-2011, 15:32
I have a thermarest that leaks as well. I have done tub test, sprayed with soapy water and still am I unable to find the leak. Any other suggestions?

10-K
03-07-2011, 16:04
I have a thermarest that leaks as well. I have done tub test, sprayed with soapy water and still am I unable to find the leak. Any other suggestions?

If it's leaking air and you've got it under water there *will* be bubbles.

There's some kind of law that says, "When air escapes under water it makes bubbles." I'm sure there's a more high falutin way of saying that....

swjohnsey
03-07-2011, 17:05

Blow it up hard and then put your body weight on it to get it to leak. Make sure to check the valve.

vibbertations
03-07-2011, 17:52
I've had two that I've patched up that I just listened or felt for air . Squeeze and hold your face close and you'll feel the cold air. It might take 10-15 minutes but it beats filling up a tub of water....unless you want to take a bath afterwards.

The Cleaner
03-07-2011, 17:57
You could inflate it and dump the down from your sleeping bag out of the Jerry Cabin mouse holes and watch for the leak to blow the down!
That's it :eek:....I bet those dang mice probably chewed on my Thermarest the same nite they ate into my bag!..Wonder how this year's thrus will like being chewed on :eek:?

Ashevillian
03-07-2011, 18:14
Sounds dumb but this is what I did on the trail, have a smoker fill it up with cigarette smoke, lay on it or squeeze it and watch for escaping smoke.

blackbird04217
03-07-2011, 18:27
Sounds dumb but this is what I did on the trail, have a smoker fill it up with cigarette smoke, lay on it or squeeze it and watch for escaping smoke.

Not sure it sounds dumb, but doesn't sound ... eghm, pleasant. At least from the non-smoker standpoint, that is a smell that would never leave the thermarest. It would be interesting to watch the propane idea, if done in a safe manner... Mythbusters anyone? Or better yet - how about we talk Bear Grylls into it?

Ashevillian
03-07-2011, 18:58
Within two or three fills and roll ups I never smelled anything again. I did find that leak within a minute. It was funny to watch the guy get redfaced trying to blow it up tho. I guess that's why he had a Z pad.

NerdyJohn
03-07-2011, 22:43
I had the same problem last summer with my Thermarest. I tried the tub method, but it required pressure to actually leak.

Here's what I did: I blew the pad up hard, and had my kid sit on it in a pool with the pad between her legs. It sank a foot or so under water. She had to move the pad two or three times to get the right section under water, but presto! The leak finally showed up.

Just Jack
03-07-2011, 23:33
If you are going to be in Damascus for Trail Days, Thermarest will have a tent out at the
hiker camp site. They fixed one for me--no charge-did a fantastic job. Three cheers for Thermarest. They service what they sell.

klpicktown
03-09-2011, 14:04
can't hold whole pad under water all at once (which will make it tough to find leak)? sit on it in tub

LIhikers
03-09-2011, 23:33

Don't forget to check the inflation valve.

skooch
03-19-2011, 08:24
I just recently had the same problem. First night out with a shakedown of new gear. About 2am I blew it back up but it went flat. Grrr. I did the tub test and confirmed the leak by spraying it with windex. A slow leak at the seam. My outfitter doesn't refund all items so I got online, called Cascade Designs and a real person told me to mark the spot and send it in for repair or refund. Makes you feel good when companies stand behind their products.

Happy Feet
03-19-2011, 09:00
Mine has sprung 3 leaks which I located easily in the tub. Now for those who have successfully repaired their leaks, did you use the 'official' Thermarest repair kit, or did you use another method? In the past we've tried shoo-goo unsuccessfully.

The Cleaner
03-19-2011, 09:24
Mine has sprung 3 leaks which I located easily in the tub. Now for those who have successfully repaired their leaks, did you use the 'official' Thermarest repair kit, or did you use another method? In the past we've tried shoo-goo unsuccessfully. I found my leak,about in the middle on the edge.Since it's 30 miles to the gear shop,I put a dab of silicone glue right on the hole.Covered that with cheap nylon repair tape.Tried it one night seems to be holding.....

skooch
03-19-2011, 23:20
Is this common with all inflatable sleeping pads or should I just not bother with this brand again. Eying the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core

ShelterLeopard
03-19-2011, 23:25
More exciting . . . fill it with butane/propane and use a match.

Ha- I love this one :banana

tuswm
03-20-2011, 00:19
when you are patching it make sure it is not inflated. When it is totally flat it will suck the glue in to the hole and make a more permanent seal.