PDA

View Full Version : Shady Valley Parking?

DBRIGGS9
03-07-2011, 15:09
Making last minute plans to do a section of the AT from Erwin, TN to Shady Valley, TN from March 24th or 25th to April 2nd.
Also, planning to do a resupply at Elk Park/Roan Mtn. From my research I expect no problems there.
But how's the parking at Shady Valley? Safe? Close to the trail?
Who are the good/cheap/dog friendly shuttles for this area?
Also, the trailheads I mentioned aren't set in stone. Me, two friends and a dog have enough time over spring break to do about 100 miles of trail. We want to avoid the Smoky's and see all of the Roan Highlands with one resupply. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Skidsteer
03-07-2011, 15:19
As I recall the parking is right next to the trail. Never parked a car there so I can't help you with how safe it is.

Tennessee Viking
03-07-2011, 16:57
Shady Valley has two (2) access points. One is TN 91 at Osborne Farm on Cross Mountain. There is a large parking lot right there. Several cars worth. Haven't heard of any problems.

The second is US 421. There is some parking there at the turnout. Probably about 4-5 cars worth. It has had some vandalism incidents. People have had their catalytic converters cut from their cars there within the last couple years.

And there is the blue blaze to Backbone Rock Rec Area. But you might as well just go into Damascus at that point.

But I would almost suggest just going straight into Damascus since you are that close where there are more shuttles and monitored parking.

For shuttles, I would contact Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel. Also give Mtn Squid a PM, he lives down the highway from Shady Valley. Maybe Lonewolf in Damascus as well.