PDA

View Full Version : Beer not to Miss on the Trail?

Yamagame
03-08-2011, 01:08
What are the best local/microbrew beers on the trail---the beers that are not to be missed? I know Yuengling in PA, but surely there's some more to be found. Any ideas?

RGB
03-08-2011, 02:04
Highlands Brewing Co. in Asheville, NC is pretty great. A little bit off the trail but I think it will be worth it if you love beer. Yuengling for the win!

TallShark
03-08-2011, 02:34
^ Second on Highland. My girlfriend and I had the chance to tour the brewery and it was great. I have always been a fan of their beers but the tour was extra special. A couple of favorites would be St. Teresa's pale ale and the Oatmeal Porter.

wcgornto
03-08-2011, 02:54
There are lots of good craft beers in Maine and New Hampshire.

wcgornto
03-08-2011, 02:54
There are lots of good craft beers in Maine and New Hampshire.

peakbagger
03-08-2011, 08:57
Long Trail has a Brewery just down the hill from Killington in VT on the outskirts of Woodstock . Its the main state highway east to west so it shouldnt be hard to get a ride.

Harpon has a brewery in White River Junction (but I am not sure if it has a brew pub).

Woodstock Inn in Woodstock NH (in the Whites) has a brew pub, this is a resupply point for some and is accessible from several spots (all require a hitch)

Sunday River Brewing has a Brew Pub in Maine south of the Mahoosucs. It is alsoa hitch down RT 26 to Bethel.

All have great beer and its usually the best right out of the keg at the brewery.

johnnyblisters
03-08-2011, 08:59
Some guys from my homebrew club are brewing and sending us some fun mail drops along the way. That will be THE best beers along the way!

flemdawg1
03-08-2011, 09:07
Troeg at the Doyle.

d.o.c
03-08-2011, 09:14
deff check the long trail brews.

Second Half
03-08-2011, 09:35
Finally a topic I know something about--I'm in the beer business. In PA there are many better and more interesting beers than Yuengling. The appropriately-named Appalachian Brewing Co. operates brewpubs in Harrisburg, Camp Hill and Gettysburg, and they do package and distribute their products although I'm not sure how available they are directly along the trail. Also in Harrisburg is the Troegs brewery. Their products are widely available throughout Pennsylvania. If you like hops try to find their Nugget Nectar.

The Fegley Brewworks operates brewpubs in Allentown and Bethlehem. Stoudt's, outside of Reading, makes excellent beers that can be found hit-or-miss throughout Central and Eastern PA (right now their Pale Ale is on tap at Blue Mtn. Summit at the Rt 309 trailhead).

Other great breweries with wide distribution include Victory (Hop Devil!), Sly Fox (excellent beers available in cans--perfect for backpacking), Yards, Weyerbacher. Plus many others throughout the state with limited distribution.

Yuengling is great compared to the Bud-Miller-Coors beers but compared to the many great craft breweries in the state, not so much.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2011, 09:37
Busch Light @ $1.50 per long neck at Quinceys in Damascus is not to be missed

d.o.c
03-08-2011, 09:44
can you legaly mail beer thru the postal service? my freind just moved to rutland and mabe i could get some sent here since we dont get it in VA but she askd if it was legal and idk.

Rick500
03-08-2011, 10:16
can you legaly mail beer thru the postal service? my freind just moved to rutland and mabe i could get some sent here since we dont get it in VA but she askd if it was legal and idk.

No, you can't legally ship beer through the USPS.

I'm a homebrewer too, and we use UPS or FedEx. I've read that FedEx and UPS have certain regulations against it, but it's not illegal...and I've had FedEx ask me what was in the package before; I told them, and they didn't have any issue with it other than to make sure it was well-packed.

d.o.c
03-08-2011, 10:24
thts cool thnks for the info :)

scope
03-08-2011, 10:26
FYI - the general store at NOC (Wesser, NC) has a nice little selection that they gleen from other stores around. SKA Brewing from Durango, CO distributes to NC now, and the store tries to keep them in stock - as well as Highland and others. I highly recommend the Modus Hoperandi, a highly hopped ale with tons of floral flavor. Think Dales Pale Ale with more flavor and more balance from a little maltiness. I enjoyed one in the store while passing through a while back. Love that area and always try to stop there to see what they have.

BAG "o" TRICKS
03-08-2011, 10:49

what, not Dot's? ;) see you soon. Tell Gypsy I said, "hello"
Second Half, your right on it, like them all. Home Brew's home brew along with Bust Ace's and Tank's top them all, especially the new Billville 'red blaze’ craft blends..,mmmmmmm..,m good. Don't forget to bring your home brew to the taste testing at Trail Days, was big hit last year.
OT: Anyone looking for a ride south to VA TN and possibly NC & GA from Philly/Harrisburg area leaving Thursday night 4/14, give me a holler, will split gas.

Ashevillian
03-08-2011, 11:02
Not to brag, but I'm going to. Asheville, only 15 miles from the AT when you cross at Sam’s Gap has been voted “Beer City USA” the last two years in a row (beating out Portland, OR). We have a dozen micro breweries here; everything from Highlands, Pisgah, Wedge, Craggie to my friend’s brewery Green Man. The beer culture here is huge with several beer festivals, micro brew tours, etc. It has really put us on the map over the last few years!

fredmugs
03-08-2011, 11:14

I didn't drink it and I sure didn't miss it either.

Long Trail beers for sure. The Blackberry Wheat is great. Go to the pub/restaurant if you get a chance.

In Maine there are several microbrews that make a Blueberry beer and I enjoyed all of them.

Also in VT/NH you should be able to get Magic Hat.

I also plan to hit this place up when I cross the Kennebec this July:

http://www.northernoutdoors.com/site/resort/the_forks_resort_center/kennebec_river_brewery.html

Yuengling with a philly cheese steak and fries at the Doyle might be the best meal I've had on the trail.

Bob McCaw
03-08-2011, 11:15
Berkshire Brewing Co. in Massachusetts puts out some damn fine brews, and it's readily available along the trail. There are some other good craft beers in western Massachusetts; it'll be hit or miss whether you find them.

Elder
03-08-2011, 11:22
Smoky Mountain Brew Pub is one of the few bright spots in Gatlinburg.

Cookerhiker
03-08-2011, 11:25
One more vote for Long Trail brews at the Inn at the Long Trail in VT.

ARambler
03-08-2011, 12:49
Not to brag, but I'm going to. Asheville, only 15 miles from the AT when you cross at Sam’s Gap has been voted “Beer City USA” the last two years in a row (beating out Portland, OR). We have a dozen micro breweries here; everything from Highlands, Pisgah, Wedge, Craggie to my friend’s brewery Green Man. The beer culture here is huge with several beer festivals, micro brew tours, etc. It has really put us on the map over the last few years!

This is why I stayed in Asheville for the Ruck.
Is there an Asheville shuttle driver who would pick me up at Sams Gap around sunset on Thur 3/31?

Modus Hoperandi is canned and good, but more of a CDT beer. Dales is pretty tame compared to Gordon, Ten Fidy, Gubna; all CO can beer.

Yamagame
03-08-2011, 12:55
I'm hearing a lot of ME/VT/PA/NC for beers. Does this mean VA is 500 miles without a good local micro?

Which begs another question---which areas/towns are "dry" along the trail? At NC212 (south of Erwin), I met these weekenders who took me on a beer quest--except we had to leave the county to find any beer! Only remember that happening once, but would be nice to know where to expect so I don't get my hopes up too much coming into a dry town. :eek:

Chaco Taco
03-08-2011, 12:58

I must admit, I miss my Pisgah Pale!

kayak karl
03-08-2011, 13:22
I didn't drink it and I sure didn't miss it either.

Long Trail beers for sure. The Blackberry Wheat is great. Go to the pub/restaurant if you get a chance.

In Maine there are several microbrews that make a Blueberry beer and I enjoyed all of them.

Also in VT/NH you should be able to get Magic Hat.

I also plan to hit this place up when I cross the Kennebec this July:

http://www.northernoutdoors.com/site/resort/the_forks_resort_center/kennebec_river_brewery.html

Yuengling with a philly cheese steak and fries at the Doyle might be the best meal I've had on the trail.
yep, i agree with it all
magic hat and long trail are available in NJ:)

mainelydave
03-08-2011, 13:25
ah, to heck with all the hoity, toity beers.

Just tell me where I can get an ice cold PBR! ;)

But seriously, in Maine, don't pass up the chance to have an Allagash White, Geary's Pale Ale, Gritty's Scottish Ale, or Shipyard Punkinhead Ale - although I'm unsure of the availability of such Maine brews along the trail corridor. Spend a couple days after your thru in Portland, Maine. Beer mecca. The Great Lost Bear has over 100 on-tap. http://www.greatlostbear.com/beerlist.html And no, I'm not being paid for this endorsement. I used to live one block away and take some credit for them being profitable.

I recall from my whitewater guide days a fine selection at Northern Outdoors in The Forks. I think they brew their own now, too.

Finally, take a walk on the Maine Beer Trail. http://www.mainebrewersguild.org/BeerTrailWeb.pdf

Lone Wolf
03-08-2011, 13:31
I'm hearing a lot of ME/VT/PA/NC for beers. Does this mean VA is 500 miles without a good local micro?

nope. 10 miles from Damascus http://wolfhillsbrewing.com/main.php/

Chaco Taco
03-08-2011, 13:33
the Long Trail Spring Ale is out, The Pollenator, good stuff. I have enjoyed the Long Trail Beers since I have been up here. Smuttynose is another great one. I second the Maine Brews, good stuff.

Also in Asheville, the highland and Pisgah breweries are outside of town. The Lexington Ave Brewery is right in downtown, great beer and they have a hostel above the place. Highly recommended

trainhopper
03-08-2011, 13:58
Vermont definitely has some great beers. Just because long trail is the only close brewery doesn't mean you can't try others. Most deli's sell good Vermont beer. I know magic hat was mentioned, there is also Otter Creek. I recommend trying each companies variety 12 pack. Also in NY the breweries are out of the way but you can find some local beers sold. Saranac is my favorite, they have a great pale ale and also try the pomegranate wheat (sounds weird tastes excellent). Ubu and Blue point are also very good local beers.

Double Deuce
03-08-2011, 15:21
Try the Duck Rabbit. They have it at the Iron Horse Saloon in Hot Springs!

Namaste
03-08-2011, 16:29
Another vote for Long Trail. I love Double Bag and Pollinator.

Chaco Taco
03-08-2011, 16:39
Try the Duck Rabbit. They have it at the Iron Horse Saloon in Hot Springs!
Milk Stout is yum friggin yum

Chaco Taco
03-08-2011, 16:41
The Outdoor center at Caratunk has some great brews as well. Be careful, it makes the day after town day not so much fun though:sun

WingedMonkey
03-08-2011, 17:05
No longer produced, they do have others.

Chif
03-08-2011, 17:35
I can heartily endorse all of the beers from Highland Brewing in Asheville. The owner Oscar Wong is a fascinating guy.

I can also second the nomination of Weyerbacher in Easton (?), Pa.

Although I had never heard of them before, I tried their "Old Heathen" russian imperial stout this weekend in Boone, NC and it is OUTSTANDING. I have been trying to figure out how to get some more.

peakbagger
03-09-2011, 08:37
I great thing about most of rural Vermont is when you find a store with a beer cooler, 80% of the contents are local beer with the other 20% national brews (usually covered with dust). Its nice to see they support theri local breweries. Unfortuantely the split in a lot of NH is 3/4 national brands and 1/4local beers.

By the way one off the wall dry town on the AT is Randolph NH. There is only one store in town and the owner isnt in the mood to sell beer so the law is still on the books.

Not sure if its still is open year round, but Sugarloaf in Maine had a brewpub (another hitch down the road via a state highway).

d.o.c
03-09-2011, 08:58
got some in roanoke VA.. other wise we dnt seem to hve much specialy near the trail most people around here seem to think that anheuser busch is truely king of beer

d.o.c
03-09-2011, 09:15
oh man i just thought of devils backbone brewery its tastey it sits at the base of the preist i workd the festy there infamous stingdusters ..they had a bike race and trail run in part with the festival but hitch east at reeds gap on VA 664 its at the bottem of the mountain passd the ski resort.......the beer coment from befor still stands at least in daleville/troutville area

Roots
03-09-2011, 09:16
I must admit, I miss my Pisgah Pale!

Ha!!! That's what I was fixing to suggest! Pisgah Pale ale is awesome. Also when hiking through Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC), try the Nantahala brews. It's a new brewery in Bryson City, NC which is where NOC is located. They have tons of GREAT beers on tap at the Pourover or you can buy some at the general store on campus. Here are the dining options for NOC that serve beers:http://www.noc.com/noccom/lodging-a-dining/dine-with-us/

Jedeye
03-09-2011, 09:32
When starting, or finishing in GA don't forget to try some of the brews by SweetWater!

wvgrinder
03-09-2011, 13:43
Another vote for Long Trail (amber).

Papa D
03-09-2011, 21:47
A cold beer of any variety left in a creek by a road as trail magic is by far the best beer not to be missed on the trail -I mean it is simply glorious!
The best beer to BUY on or near the trail - hmmmmm - pint of Long Trail Amber Ale at McGrath's Irish Pub, Killington, VT

will1972
03-09-2011, 22:08
Not any Brew pubs, but Sweetwater is available all over Georgia. Try the Sweet Georgia Brown, 420 and several others. Those 2 are my favorites. Brewed in Atlanta. Maybe you could try a tour of the brewery they often have events.

SmokyMtn Hiker
03-09-2011, 22:23
Smoky Mountain Brew Pub is one of the few bright spots in Gatlinburg.

I never go to Gatlinburg and not eat and drink here, good food and good beer.

TallShark
03-10-2011, 00:13
I never go to Gatlinburg and not eat and drink here, good food and good beer.
Where is it in relation to everything?

Skid.
03-17-2011, 08:36
The AT/Long Trail used to go right thru the parking lot of the Long Trail Inn, east of Rutland, Vt. Just take the Sherbourne Trail off the AT, it goes directly to the Inn, and have a Long Trail Ale, a bowl of Guiness stew, and Irish music.

jmhouse
03-17-2011, 11:33
Flying Dog is based in Frederick, MD, not too far from the trail. I think they have fairly wide distribution.
Heavy Seas is based in Baltimore, MD and can be found around MD/VA (not sure about PA)
I think there is some local WV stuff that can be found in Harpers Ferry.