PDA

View Full Version : Merced Lodging and Transportation

dantastic
03-08-2011, 01:42
My brother and I will be doing the JMT for the first time this July. We will be doing the typical fly into San Fran from Kansas City, BART, AMTRAK to Merced. We will then take the YARTS to Yosemite Valley. We will be staying in Yosemite, and I was hoping that we would be able to make the trip in one day so that we don't have to pay for a hotel in Merced as well.

Does anyone know what time of day the last YARTS bus leaves from Merced for Yosemite Valley during July?

Does anyone know if it is possible to just rent a car at the San Fran airport and then drop it off somewhere in Merced? This would save us some time, because we would not be waiting for trains and buses.

If it is not possible to do in one day, are there any places to camp or cheap hotels in Merced that can be accessed via public transportation?

Thanks for helping me get these last few logisiticals figured out!

WingedMonkey
03-08-2011, 02:10
http://www.yarts.com/schedules.html

WingedMonkey
03-08-2011, 02:48
Take BART from Airport to Embarcadero Station, switch train to Richmond. Amtrak station is at Richmond BART. Amtrak to Merced is a nice scenic ride. Catch YARTS to Yosemite.

tuswm
03-08-2011, 17:58
I know my amtrak is a bus to a trail to merced then amtrak bus to the valley

dantastic
03-09-2011, 01:46
Well, I have found out that you can rent a car from San Francisco International and drop it off at the Merced Municipal Airport (MCE). This is pretty expensive, but it knocks hours off of the total travel time.

I just wish I knew what time the last YARTS bus runs to the Yosemite each day! They probably won't have their summer schedule up for a while. Can anyone help me out?

Rambler
03-09-2011, 23:02
Last bus from Merced Amtrak in the past has been 5:25 PM arrives at Yosem. Visitor Center at 8 PM
First bus left at 6:10 AM arrives 8:50 AM

There are several modest motels within walking distance (as in across the street) from the Merced Airport. You can get a train to Mariposa, too, then taxi to a motel and get YARTS in the AM. Merced is MUCH bigger than Mariposa.

Have you considered flying to Reno, bus (CREST Eastern Sierra Transit Authority) to Lee Vining and Yarts to Yosemite? It is hard to do it in one day, however. Lee Vining has few options without pror reservations.

From Lone Pine you can also get to LAX (LA) at the end of your hike.

dantastic
03-11-2011, 02:18
Thanks Rambler! That is the kind of info I need. It looks like it will be a two day trip for me. Oh well, I guess that is what I get for living so far from the mountains!

tuswm
03-11-2011, 15:32
what day are you arriving in YNP

Hangman
04-27-2011, 22:29
I'm flying from Philly to Las Vegas then to Merced on Sat Aug 20th for
$307.00 one way... I leave Phila @ 7:50am eastern time arrive Vegas @ 10:31am leave Las Vegas @ 1:45pm arrive Merced 3:15pm take last bus to Valley be there @ 8pm. One long Day. Take next day to check out Yosmite Valley, relax and hike out next day.

tuswm
04-27-2011, 23:26
wow we are flying from philly and didnt find a deal that cheap except to san fran. we will be leaving like 3 days after you. we are flying out of here the 22nd.

Hangman
04-28-2011, 11:16
I used Kayak to search for best prices, could of had for 283.00 but waited to long and fairs went up some so I locked in at 307.00

Dogwood
04-28-2011, 16:51
Well, I have found out that you can rent a car from San Francisco International and drop it off at the Merced Municipal Airport (MCE). This is pretty expensive, but it knocks hours off of the total travel time.

I just wish I knew what time the last YARTS bus runs to the Yosemite each day! They probably won't have their summer schedule up for a while. Can anyone help me out?

Several workable scenarios!

Flying into San Fran AP, taking Bart to Embrecado Train Station, Amtrak to Merced Amtrak Station(scenic ride as stated), YARTS to Yosemite Valley, IN THE SAME DAY IS POSSIBLE. I've done it successfully twice flying in from Hawaii and from NJ to San Fran AP. A third time, the first time I tried, I didn't make it to Merced Amtrak Station to catch the last YARTS bus to YV - 5:30 p.m.

The time I didn't make it I could have slept in a hotel in Merced(yes there are hotels within walking distance of the Merced Amtrak St, taxis sometimes loiter at the Merced Amtrak Train Station too) but instead walked about a mile to a park and slept stealth style for the night. Wasn't bothered by anyone. Next morn got on the first YARTS bus to YV. The park was near the train tracks. Merced is a rural CA town with open wooded spaces.

Barring hitching or renting a car, it has always seemed to me, as it also seems that you are aware of, the pivotal connect is getting to Merced Amtrak Station or YARTS connection in time to do a one day in all travel to YV scenario. Which means getting into San Fran AP on an EARLY flight from wherever it is you are flying from to get the Amtrak to Merced in time to get the YARTS in time!

When you purchase an Amtrak ticket, should you decide to travel that way, and seek YARTS into YV, and want to do all your travel on the same day, inquire about a combo Amtrak/YARTS ticket. Might save a few $ and allow for a same day connect, if that's what you want.

Winged Monkey provided the YARTS schedules valid for July 2011. It's up!Last two YARTS buses to YV are 11 a.m. and 5.30 p.m. Also early buses for the next morning should you miss the connect. Rambler gave you the early moprning bus time. NO WEEKEND OR HOLIDAY SERVICE with the YARTS to YV! YARTS also has bus service from Merced AP to YV should you decide on the rental car option. Last two YARTS buses of the day leave from M AP 10:25 a.m and 4:30 p.m.

I have also flown into/out of Reno several times traveling to the Sierras, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, etc to hike, work, and visit nearby relatives. I usually find flights to be more expensive flying in/out of Reno. It's a smaller AP. Advise you check bus schedules heading south on 395 to Lee Vining(YARTS connection in LV) ahead of time as those buses run on a limited schedule. Last time I checked with CREST Buslines they ran Mon, Tues, NO Wed, Thur, Fri. NO WEEKENDS with CREST! There may be only one or two buses SOBO from Reno AP per day on the days they do run.

All this might sound logistically difficult but to me it's not. And, to further get your mind going consider these are not the only ways to approach travel to YV and vicinity!

Hangman
04-28-2011, 21:35
I was told by Yarts when I called them that in the summer they do have weekend buses to YV. The last one is to leave Merced @ 5:30...Does anybody know if I was given the wrong info?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
05-04-2011, 10:02
Last time I checked with CREST Buslines they ran Mon, Tues, NO Wed, Thur, Fri. NO WEEKENDS with CREST! There may be only one or two buses SOBO from Reno AP per day on the days they do run.

Regarding buses, althought not directly related to this thread:

this year, the YARTS bus leaving Mammoth Lakes to Ysoemite in the morning has changed it's departure time, so that on the days CREST runs northbound from Lone Pine, you can now catch the YARTS bus at the McDonald's in Mammoth on the same day and get there same day. This is mostly relevant to folks who leave their car on either end of the trail and need to get to the other end either at the beginning or end of their trip.

In past years you had to spend a day in Mammoth or hitch hike from there, because you missed the YARTS bus by about an hour.