PDA

View Full Version : Rain jacket

Camping Dave
03-08-2011, 04:12
I'm looking for an inexpensive, lightweight rain jacket that has more wear and tear resistance than Dri Ducks or Frogg Toggs. A simple silnylon or polyester affair with a hood. Pockets would be nice. And maybe a back zipper, although that's not really necessary. Weight is important (under 8oz for men's large), and price (under $30). I do not need expensive high tech fabrics like Goretex or eVent.

What do you suggest?

.ghost.
03-08-2011, 08:25
I used a $30 White Sierra Trabagon rain jacket for a while. It claims to be waterproof. It is great for light rain. However, if you have anything more than that, especially if it is steady and you are out in it for hours, it will fail you. I do most of my hiking in Michigan, and I hope to do a trip either across Isle Royale or through the Porkies later this summer, so I need something that will keep me drier. I just ordered the GoLite Phantasm for $100, reg. $200. Sale is still going I believe. But if you aren't in an area that gets a lot of rain, I think you would do OK with the Trabagon. The reviews of it on Sierra Trading Post are all quite good, although I don't know if a lot of those reviewers put it through the ringer first.

Bianchi Veloce
03-08-2011, 11:46
The Packa.

http://thepacka.com/

BrianLe
03-08-2011, 13:45
I'm not aware of anything that's (a) more durable than frogg toggs, (b) under 8 oz for men's large, and (c) under $30. Maybe if you got something on a super good sale or bought it used or something, but otherwise my guess is that your combined criteria are too restrictive. You can do at least the first two things, but not for $30.

If I'm wrong here (and I certainly could be), one place to look would be jackets designed for bicyclists.

What's a "back zipper" ??

flemdawg1
03-08-2011, 14:42
What's a "back zipper" ??

Maybe he's wearing in backwards. :rolleyes:

I agree w/ Brian, pick 2 of those 3 that are most important.
You can have cheap and durable, but heavy. (ie. walmart PVC rainsuit)
You can have light and durable, but you'll pay atleast 60-100 for it. (ie Marmot Precip, SD Hurricane)
You can have cheap and light, but it not made to last (ie Frogg Toggs).

10-K
03-08-2011, 15:01
I just got a Malpais Trinity rain jacket from Golite in size XL that weighs 8.25 ozs but it's insanely expensive at $150 *with* 40% off.

Gray Blazer
03-08-2011, 15:24
I got a Sierra Designs wind/waterproof shell at Dick's for $20. Best piece of gear I own. Saved my life a coupla times.

Sergemaster
03-11-2011, 15:26
Picked up a minty LL Bean stashaway rain jacket for a few dollars on ebay which works nice. There's also the surplus army poncho that's feasible which i still carry along with my rain gear for it's many uses and better than a tarp.

Also, check out Belgian Army surplus, they have a rain coat in OD with hood that's made from a PVC like material and better yet, folds up small and into it's one pocket. totally 100% contained and packable friendy.

Cheers,
Serge
Cheers,
Serge

hikerhobs
03-11-2011, 16:05
I use a rain jacket purchased from campmor.its the cascade II rain parka 12.8 oz and it cost $25 keeps me dry

q-tip
03-24-2011, 21:25
I have all kinds of Gore Tex stuff-using on CT this summer
Marmot Mica Jacket-7.0
Mont Bell Mistral Parka Wind Shirt 7.0
Marmot Dri-Climb Vest-6.0
Mont Bell Down Camp Jacket- 7.0

Hste to be cold.

leaftye
03-24-2011, 21:32
Contractors trash bag.

That's all I got. <8 ounces and <$30 is tough.