PDA

View Full Version : What did you send to the Canadian Border Services?

Creepwood
03-08-2011, 11:40
So I realize that i'm a procrastinator but i'm gonna get it sent off this week, I promise. My question is what documents did you send with your application to the Canadian Border Services Agency? I want to get it right the first time and their list is kind of ambiguous. Or i'm just kind of dumb. Thanks!

Spirit Walker
03-08-2011, 16:26
We sent the application and a blown up copy of our passports and drivers licenses. It takes a while to get a response. Do you have someone at home that can hold on to it and mail the permit to you in Washington?

Creepwood
03-08-2011, 16:34
I also meant to mention that I don't have my passport yet. I will have someone able to mail me my stuff so that's good. So what is the alternative for a passport?

It states on the application "A passport or a birth and photo ID", i'm hoping that that means a birth certificate?

Sly
03-08-2011, 17:00
I'm not sure if the rules changed to where you needed a passport, apparently not, because all I had was a birth certificate and a photo drivers license.

chiefiepoo
03-08-2011, 17:58
I'm not sure if the rules changed to where you needed a passport, apparently not, because all I had was a birth certificate and a photo drivers license.

The rules have changed. Returning to the US requires a passport or document as described below.

From the US dept of State

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens will need to present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

FWIW, a few guys i met along the CDT got a real shakedown when entering Canada at Waterton. Do not carry anything that is contrary to Canadian law.

knicksin2010
03-08-2011, 23:44
I also meant to mention that I don't have my passport yet. I will have someone able to mail me my stuff so that's good. So what is the alternative for a passport?

It states on the application "A passport or a birth and photo ID", i'm hoping that that means a birth certificate?
The application doesn't appear to require a passport if you send a copy of your birth certificate and driver's license. You could call them for clarification. But the law says you will need a passport to re-enter the USA. If you can't get a passport in time then you should consider the other (slightly longer) exit routes on the USA side.

atraildreamer
03-09-2011, 15:09
Enhanced Drivers License ...

Is that the one with the strange looking bar code on the back that looks like a picture of an explosion at the pepper factory? :-?

chiefiepoo
03-09-2011, 21:40
Is that the one with the strange looking bar code on the back that looks like a picture of an explosion at the pepper factory? :-?
Maybe others can help here, but seems like New York, michigan, Vermont and WAshington state are the only ones issuing EDL. Florida and Nevada are issuing a RealID but I don't know if it has the same level of acceptance. Good rule of thumb, if you have not presented a birth certificate, passport or similar document that establishes name, place and date of birth on your most recent DL renewal, you don't carry an EDL. At some point you will need an EDL or RealID to get on an airplane or enter a federal installation.

10-K
03-09-2011, 21:51
Just something to throw out, but having a valid passport even if you never plan to leave the country is something that's prudent to do.

It's a form of ID that's accepted everywhere, for anything.

And you never know when that spur of the moment opportunity will come along and you don't want at go "Ah man.... I can't go - I don't have a passport...."

Hiker8261
03-11-2011, 01:58
EDL is not valid for international air travel so IF you had one, you would have to travel by road or rail to return to the US.
Getting a passport is fairly simple unless you have something in your past where you don't want to submit your name to a federal database. When I did mine, it was supposed to take 8 weeks and I had it in 3. You can pay more and they will expedite it. Right now, with $60 extra (above the $135) and fast shipping, you can get it in 2-3 weeks
Info is on the State Department's website.

chris

Mrs Baggins
03-11-2011, 08:06
Just something to throw out, but having a valid passport even if you never plan to leave the country is something that's prudent to do.

It's a form of ID that's accepted everywhere, for anything.

And you never know when that spur of the moment opportunity will come along and you don't want at go "Ah man.... I can't go - I don't have a passport...."

Absolutely. I made sure my son had one a few years ago even though he insisted he'd never use it. He's been to Canada twice now and could not have gone without it as the rules changed before the first time he went and a birth cert was not going to work. My daughter's husband also insisted there was no point but she insisted even more and they were able to take a spur of the moment trip to Belize. My husband and I have not been without one since 1976. We've used them to get driver's licenses every time we've changed states. They're worth every dime and then some.