PDA

View Full Version : Byron Herbert Reece Access Trail Parking

seminoles
03-08-2011, 12:58
Does anyone have any experience parking at this trailhead? I was wondering about how secure it would be to leave a car there for a week.

Thanks

Larry Dean
03-08-2011, 13:02
I have left cars there several times without any issues. It is within 1/2 mile of Mnt. Crossings and seems to be patrolled on a regular basis. As you know...it's all a gamble.

Tennessee Viking
03-08-2011, 13:12
Get there early in the day. It can get packed quick. Parked there at 10am with only a few cars there. By 2-3pm, I came out off of Blood Mtn, and it was spilling onto the highway.

Forest Service recently paved the lot. You will have to park in designated spots now. They will write you tickets if you park outside the spaces.

max patch
03-08-2011, 13:16
Does anyone have any experience parking at this trailhead? I was wondering about how secure it would be to leave a car there for a week.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about leaving my car there.

I would worry, however, about actually being able to find a parking spot. They recently "improved" the lot by paving and striping it -- in the process reducing the number of spaces from 80ish to 30ish. Illegal parkers get a ticket. So...if I was planning on leaving my car there I'd already have an alternate parking location picked out. Or get there early enough so that if I had to sit and wait for a spot to open up i'd be no big deal.

seminoles
03-08-2011, 13:47
Max Patch.....Thanks for the info, is there an alternate parking location that you would use?

max patch
03-08-2011, 14:15
I'd try to get there early, and if it was full I'd wait til someone left. If neither of those options work for you, then I'd probably park at Lake Winfield Scot and take the blue blazed Slaughter Creek Trail to where it intersects the AT just south of Blood. Woody and Tesnatee/Hogpen depending on your trip are also options.

Hopefully you'll have no issues parking at Byron Reece but its best to have Plan B figured out beforehand rather than at the trailhead.

Skidsteer
03-08-2011, 15:15
Max Patch.....Thanks for the info, is there an alternate parking location that you would use?

I'd try to get there early, and if it was full I'd wait til someone left. If neither of those options work for you, then I'd probably park at Lake Winfield Scot and take the blue blazed Slaughter Creek Trail to where it intersects the AT just south of Blood. Woody and Tesnatee/Hogpen depending on your trip are also options.

Hopefully you'll have no issues parking at Byron Reece but its best to have Plan B figured out beforehand rather than at the trailhead.

Another option would be to park at Vogel and walk the Coosa clockwise to hook into the AT near the Slaughter campsites. The climb will get your heart pumping good.

FYI, there is a charge for parking at both Vogel and Winfield Scott.