PDA

View Full Version : The Right Bivy?

swantekkie
03-08-2011, 20:52
I know this has been dicussed time and time again, but i couldnt find a thread. im finally going to buy a bivy and im not sure what one. ive been leaning toward one of the mountain research bivys because of the single pole. i like the idea of having the material off my face. i will primarily be using this for winter use, so condensation is a concern, but from what i hear this is unavoidable with most bivys. ideas? comments?
:banana

Two Tents
03-08-2011, 22:24
Are you going to use it with a tarp? If it is for mostly, mainly winter use then you may not need to have your head inside the bivy all the way, all the time. When I use a bivy in winter it is almost always in combo with at the very least a small tarp. Mountain research makes a good bivy. Water proof or water resistant bottom and breathable top bivy with a tarp--now that's the ticket. Set it up in a choice location and factor in which the weather is coming from. It will give you a sheltered place to hang out and cook snug as a bug. Plus the bivy I suggested will do for a snow cave or trench type shelter.

skinewmexico
03-09-2011, 01:26
Ti-Goat, unless you're not using a tarp. And MLD makes an eVent bivy now, I think.

swantekkie
03-09-2011, 07:43
I wil use it combined with a tarp, suggestions for a decent/decently priced tarp? Also what is the difference between all the mountain research Bivys?, just materials? They all look pretty similar, but differently priced. What one would you suggest?

Two Tents
03-09-2011, 08:27
There is no best single one I can say. That will be up to you to figure out. Best I can suggest would be a cheap one 10 x10 and rig it and see how you like the size. Then get the size made of what material, weight you want. Try to figure it out first before ya buy a tarp for $100 bucks and wish it was bigger or smaller or lighter or whatever, Material choice is what separates the bivys' mostly. It's gonna be a matter of what you can afford and your expected use. Skinewmexico mentioned some good ones to check out. Equinox has a bivy too. Google Sprawler ultra light bivy. Its a buffet of choices. If ya truly have your mind made up on a bivy & tarp type system you shouldn't need a full blown stand alone bivy. Just sayin.

The Cleaner
03-09-2011, 10:01
I wil use it combined with a tarp, suggestions for a decent/decently priced tarp? Also what is the difference between all the mountain research Bivys?, just materials? They all look pretty similar, but differently priced. What one would you suggest?
Checkout Kelty's Noah's Tarp line-up.I have one,the 10, it's pretty cheap&seems to be well made....:)..also I have an Early Winters Bivy,gore-tex,no condensation problems..:sun

scope
03-09-2011, 10:17
Mountain Hardware? or OR?

scope
03-09-2011, 10:18
Should look into one of the poncho tarps - think Golite is having a sale right now on one.