PDA

View Full Version : Stecoah Gap to Cheoah Bald

catzby
03-08-2011, 23:29
Can anyone tell me about this part of the AT? This will be a first overnight hike for me and my older daughter....Everything I've read seems to say 6 miles in and out with camping at the bald or Sassafras Shelter....Not staying at the shelter since we figured most NOBO might need it...but there is water there. Is it a well used trail?...Read somewhere that it was a mountain biking trail... Really new at this just need some direction. We were going to Joyce Kilmer the first day we get up there...FLOWERS!...Then trying an overnight hike..Is there another trail suggestion? Any info is appreciated...Thanks.

cowpoke
03-08-2011, 23:48
It's about 5.5 miles from stecoah Gap up to Cheoah Bald...fairly steady climb...no water on the Bald..don't know status of water at Locust Gap....no water when I was through there last Oct. Good water at Sassafras Gap shelter....and plenty of campsites just south of blue blaze to the shelter....might consider leaving car at NOC and have someone drop you off at Steocah Gap....easy 2 day hike. Have a great hike and cheers.

tgrady
03-09-2011, 00:07
Not a mountain bike trail. The amount of traffic will depend on when you are there, the warmer the weather the more traffic.

With the wet weather lately, the creek at Sassafras gap should really be flowing and no problem.

This should be a very easy 2 day hike. 6.7 or so miles all the way to the shelter. It took me about 3.5 hours from the shelter back to Stecoah gap last year, and that was at a moderate to slower pace as we had come from the NOC to Stecoah, which is fairly tiring until after Cheoah.

Have fun!

Marta
03-09-2011, 08:17
It is one of the more imposing climbs on the southeastern AT. I wouldn't choose it as a first overnight outing because excess packweight or lack of physical conditioning will make it somewhat painful. That said, your mileage is low enough that you should be able to get the job done readily enough. It just might not be as much fun as backpacking can be.

daddytwosticks
03-09-2011, 08:24
I went from Stecoah Gap southbound to the NOC in late June '09. Stayed at the shelter. This hike was not that physically demanding with a light overnigh load. The bald was beautiful. NOT a mountain biking trail. Good water at the shelter. Nice shelter...has a loft with windows. I hope they replaced that privy! :0

Roots
03-09-2011, 09:03
It is one of the more imposing climbs on the southeastern AT. I wouldn't choose it as a first overnight outing because excess packweight or lack of physical conditioning will make it somewhat painful. That said, your mileage is low enough that you should be able to get the job done readily enough. It just might not be as much fun as backpacking can be.

Totally agree! As your first overnighter, I would highly suggest another section, but then again my first overnight was Wayah Bald to NOC. Good luck!:)

wornoutboots
03-09-2011, 11:50
Depending on both of your physical conditioning, this is up one Big Climb & then one BIG Down the other so leave early & enjoy the hike. I would suggest definately camping on the Bald if the weather is clear. You should be should be ok with water heading SOBO in the Spring at Locust Cove (it was dry when I passed thru here in October) or camel up at Sassafrass heading from the NOC. I agree the NOC is a much better place to leave your car & end your hike.

Papa D
03-09-2011, 22:02
This is a pretty strenuous section for a "first hike" with your daughter - not saying don't do it, but why not go from the NOC SOBO to say Telico Gap and climb the fire tower - water at all the shelters in that stretch, etc. but that would be about 14 miles there and back - Or, how about this, start at Stecoah Gap and go north - big climb in there to Brown Fork, but it is short (1/4 mile of really steep) - pretty good tenting at Brown Fork Shelter - you could also camp at Cable Gap Shelter - creek right in front of the shelter - all good options - have fun. Did see 2 bear in the snow near Sasafrass Gap about 3 weeks ago - no worries though.

generoll
03-10-2011, 10:48
or for my $.02, come down to Hiawassee and hike in and out from Dicks Creek to either Plumorchard or Deep Gap shelters. Nice shelter site, ample tenting space. Adequate water and the mouldering privies done right.

veteran
03-10-2011, 13:21
It's about 5.5 miles from stecoah Gap up to Cheoah Bald...fairly steady climb...no water on the Bald..

There is water on the Bald...down the hill a bit.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=113544&postcount=17

Chaco Taco
03-10-2011, 17:30
This section is easy. Its a gradual climb up the back end of Cheoah. If you take the Bartram trail a little ways, less than a half mile, you can get water from Ledbetter Creek. Its NOBO that sucks from NOC. The last little push up Cheoah is a haul but short.

Chaco Taco
03-10-2011, 17:33
The shelter is a HOLE. Id stay away from it. If you go down from the bald to the shelter its STRAIGHT down. Look at the Art Loab, great starter trail and great camp spots, views but lots of people. The section around Camp Creek Bald is awesome to Jerry Cabin, easy and all views. Honestly, Id go for Carvers to 19E, easy, lots of water and max views. It will get you hooked

sparky2009
03-11-2011, 22:00
I like the Carver's gap to 19E also. The hike to Overmountain shelter is 5.6 miles. Great view from the shelter/camping area. The hike from there will take you over Little Hump mountain then Hump mountain. Both have great views, especially Hump mountain. The trip from Overmountain to 19E is 9.3 miles. Except for the climbs up Little Hump and Hump mountain, it's downhill to 19E. I do NOT recommend leaving a car at 19E. Mountain Harbor B&B/Hostel is just a couple of tenths of a mile down the road (downhill along the road). They'll let you park a car on their property for a small fee and will provide a shuttle to Carver's gap. Have fun hiking!

Chaco Taco
03-14-2011, 08:32
I like the Carver's gap to 19E also. The hike to Overmountain shelter is 5.6 miles. Great view from the shelter/camping area. The hike from there will take you over Little Hump mountain then Hump mountain. Both have great views, especially Hump mountain. The trip from Overmountain to 19E is 9.3 miles. Except for the climbs up Little Hump and Hump mountain, it's downhill to 19E. I do NOT recommend leaving a car at 19E. Mountain Harbor B&B/Hostel is just a couple of tenths of a mile down the road (downhill along the road). They'll let you park a car on their property for a small fee and will provide a shuttle to Carver's gap. Have fun hiking!
The crown jewel of the southern AT:D

Chaco Taco
03-14-2011, 08:33
And those climbs arent even bad, the views on the way up are awesome:banana

Cookerhiker
03-14-2011, 10:19
Typical WB responses thus far - 180 degrees apart!:rolleyes:

This is a nice hike, a rewarding hike, and feasible in the time you're allowing. You can and should enjoy it. I hiked it SOBO in the Fall on a beautiful day and savored wonderful views from Cheoah and Swim Balds.

But it is not "easy." I say this because once you're told it's "easy," you may have visions of a fairly level trail in which you don't sweat much and merely stroll along. It's steady, steep-at-times uphill with many false summits before finally arriving at Cheoah. These minor PUDs add to the total elevation gained.

So go out and hike it, allow enough time, and prepare yourself mentally if not physically, for a lot of uphill.

Chaco Taco
03-14-2011, 14:55
Typical WB responses thus far - 180 degrees apart!:rolleyes:

This is a nice hike, a rewarding hike, and feasible in the time you're allowing. You can and should enjoy it. I hiked it SOBO in the Fall on a beautiful day and savored wonderful views from Cheoah and Swim Balds.

But it is not "easy." I say this because once you're told it's "easy," you may have visions of a fairly level trail in which you don't sweat much and merely stroll along. It's steady, steep-at-times uphill with many false summits before finally arriving at Cheoah. These minor PUDs add to the total elevation gained.

So go out and hike it, allow enough time, and prepare yourself mentally if not physically, for a lot of uphill.
Really dude???:rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
03-14-2011, 16:07
Really dude???:rolleyes:

Yes, dude, really:sun

Chaco Taco
03-14-2011, 16:17
Yes, dude, really:sun
You never cease to amaze me, even when I leave for extended amounts of time. I see somethings never change:)

Cookerhiker
03-14-2011, 16:23
You never cease to amaze me, even when I leave for extended amounts of time. I see somethings never change:)

Well I'm glad you're back:)

wornoutboots
03-14-2011, 16:32
Well I'm glad you're back:)

Now that's hiker Love :)

catzby
03-15-2011, 20:39
I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I have looked into the Carvers Gap to 19E hike and think this might be our best bet...besides it has ponies :) If we make this a two night trek and we stay at the overthemountain shelter the first night where might you suggest we camp the second night? I do have a 2 person tent we were planning on taking. For the record my daughter is grown...lol My first post sounded like she was a little girl. We are from Charleston SC and dont get much hills but we are walking the bridge on the weekends to help with the ups and downs hill. Thanks again.

Marta
03-16-2011, 06:57
Actually, Carvers Gap to 19E won't have ponies. It does have fabulous bald mountains, though. And it's a pretty straight shot up I-26 most of the way for you.

If you are hiking from Carvers towards 19E there's a campsite in Bradley Gap, but that's not very far from Overmountain Shelter. As you start the long descent, there's a dry campsite just after you enter the woods. And you could possibly camp at Apple House Shelter, leaving you an easy hike out on your last day.

double j
03-16-2011, 08:44
there is no ponies but i did see horses. i did brown fork gap shelter to noc in a day even took me a lil nap on cheoah bald its beautiful up there . and there is water at locust cove right before the bald. Where ever you go just take your time and enjoy your hike

catzby
03-16-2011, 18:22
Bummer no ponies! :) I'm so burnt out trying to figure out where to go... I appreciate all the input. We are definitely going to Joyce Kilmer the first day after we drive from Charleston...quick hike with flowers. Have reservations near by the first night. Not sure if we want to drive 3-4 hours the next day to Carvers Gap since we probably need to start early. Whatever we do I'll fill you in...thanks so much for the input.

Ox97GaMe
03-16-2011, 20:20
That camping is nice on Cheoah Bald. there is a blue-blaze trail that drops off the back side to a spring about 200 yards (downhill). the option (as you are going south toward Cheoah) is to take the Bartram trail, just before you get to the summit. It is about .3 miles to a small creek crossing where you can get water. this route is not as steep as from the top of Cheoah.

G-WALK
11-12-2011, 15:11
Some video of my hike....
http://youtu.be/8Rn8FnWsj6Q?hd=1

C Seeker
11-21-2011, 21:46
I hiked through that section a week ago, it was a long climb and one to not be underestimated. The gap right before the bald heading south is said to have water but when I hiked through one of the other hikers told me that there was no water but instead a water hole. There is a sign on top of the mountain that says water 0.5 miles downhill on top of the bald, I once again decided not to go see if that one was good either but instead push on towards the shelter. The shelter had a GREAT gushing piped spring! The shelter faced into the wind alittle bit but it wasn't to bad. There was mice there but it didn't bother any of us there since we had our food and packs hanged up.

NOC is a nice place and I think it would be a good place to have your car parked, but not sure as I didn't have a car. Enjoy your hike and just take it slow and easy, don't worry about miles just make sure you smile. Also try not to head out on a rainy day.