PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mtns section hike, May 2011

GatoR17
03-09-2011, 00:00
Looking for a hiking partner to do the ~71 miles through Smoky Mtns NP around the first or second week of May. I'll be driving up from Greenville, SC and plan to do it in 5-7 days end to end. Plan is to either shuttle cars or hitch hike depending on logistics. Please PM or reply if you're interested. Date must be after May 5 or 6 but otherwise flexible.

Mike

theoilman
03-13-2011, 15:30
One of my options, but I was thinking about June. What kind of hiker are you? I am 64 Male, but been over 45 years since last hiking. 10 miles per day max for me in that kind of elevation changes. email:[email protected]

Whiterook 1
04-09-2011, 08:08
I'm hoping to hike the GSMNP in May as well. I want to go from Fontana to the I-40 crossing (either NB or SB...doesn't really matter). No definate date yet, just sometime in early May.

ednotmilkman
04-17-2011, 22:22
hey again "whiterook", and "the oilman",

I just talked with "cowpoke" by phone about his GSM section. He posted here a few months back. He is hoping to get his hike approved with a call to the ranger station on May 2 for a June 2 to 8or9 hike. He is driving up, probably from Valdosta on I-75 with one other guy from FL, and then meeting 2 others at The Hike Inn. Once he gets his plan approved, I told him I'd like to ride up with him but would submit a longer section hike staying off the AT and then meet his group at the end , Standing Bear Hostel. He said there was room for me and one more to ride up with him, but I could drive another vehicle if oilman wanted to join us and we could pick up Whiterook in Macon also.

I'm wanting to hike a longer section since I'm comfortable with closer to 15 miles per day and I figure it will be less crowded off the AT. Cowpoke and his buddies plan to walk closer to 10 miles per day. My foot has not bothered me this last week, so I'm hoping to be OK for a long hike.

Whiterook has been my partner on my last two, week long AT sections, but we know each other by name, not hiker handle !

jbwood5
04-25-2011, 14:14
I'm hoping to hike the GSMNP in May as well. I want to go from Fontana to the I-40 crossing (either NB or SB...doesn't really matter). No definate date yet, just sometime in early May.

If all goes well I'll be at Big Creek (I40 area - Davenport) on Friday late afternoon May 6. I should have a shuttle waiting for me that evening to take me back to the Fontana area. If you plan to be there at that time and are interested in splitting the shuttle costs, PM me. Same for anybody else who might be on this same schedule.
Just PM me.

themeaty
04-26-2011, 13:30
If any of you haven't hiked the Smokies yet, you're in for a treat. I thoroughly enjoyed hiking this section of the AT, especially where the trail follows the ridge-line for miles. Watch out for bears, I saw three cubs and three adults during my five-day hike.

Hokiehikergirl
04-26-2011, 13:45
i am interested in completing SNP between May - June, either in one whole section, or over a couple weekends. I'd be coming from Clemson. How many miles a day do you usually do? I am definitely looking for a hiking companion since I can't bring my dogs.

Whiterook 1
05-01-2011, 07:52
Hey Edwin: Glad to hear your foot is doing better. I wanted to get out earlier, but as it has worked out I am doing a lot of home repair work for my mother-in-law right now. June 2 would be a good week to shoot for as well. Please keep me posted. Dave

Beachcomber
05-01-2011, 10:13
I'm planning a 6-day solo stroll, from Davenport to Fontana, June 19-24. I'm the kind of guy who likes to set my own pace. (Tall, long strides, etc. Also, no spring chicken, sore knees, etc.) But that being said, if there's anybody for whom having a travel partner is a make-or-break deal, I'd be happy to consider.