PDA

View Full Version : Food Selection & Pack Weight

STICK
03-09-2011, 00:46
I am about to head out for a well-deserved hiking trip. It will be only for 2 1/2 days but hey, it beats not going! We (my wife and I plus a buddy ~ this will be his first "real" hike) are headed to the Smokies.

I usually do a video or break down all of the gear that I take for a hike but this time I decided to do a video on the food we selected to take with us. But of course I did include a link to our gear list as well (although there have been a few minor alterations).

Also, just wanted to scream that my pack weight is finally in that sweet spot... My pack after 4 1/2 pounds of food, 1L of water and ~ 14 oz of fuel is a whopping 22.4 pounds! My wifes pack after 1L of water and 4 pounds of food is 20 pounds even. So, we are pretty stoked about that, although I must add here that she says my pack is too light and wants me to carry all the food... http://www.backpacker.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Anyway, like I said, I did a video on our food selection which can be seen here (along with a link to our gear list):

Food Selection For GSMNP Hike (http://sticksblog.com/2011/03/08/food-selection-for-gsmnp-hike/)

hobbs
03-09-2011, 01:04
Good video Stick..hope you and your wife and friend have a good trip..

Mtn Scout
03-09-2011, 01:22
man thats very light. hope there is adequate clothing for cooler temps at night. still getting pretty chilly

Mtn Scout
03-09-2011, 01:27
stick, i stand corrected i checked out your list, very impressive

STICK
03-09-2011, 01:31
I believe that it will be.

We are both carrying 15* down bags. She is also carrying a Jag Bag Endura Silk liner if needed. Plus she has 2 UA shirts (1 long and 1 short) she will be hiking in and then another long sleeve cotton shirt to sleep in. She also has a Campmor Fleece and a down jacket along with her PreCip. She has REI midwt long bottoms and of course her hiking pants. Plus 2 extra pair of wool hiking socks and an pair of expedition wt Lorpen socks. Also, her boggin, gloves and a Buff.

Mine is the same. I will hike in my Cap 2 long sleeve with an R1 over that. I also have my new Montbell down jacket and my Tumalo jacket. A pair of extreme wt long bottoms to sleep in as well as another Cap 1 short sleeve shirt to sleep in. Then I have extra wool hiking socks and 1 pair of the same lorpen expedition wt socks as my wife to sleep in.

hikingshoes
03-09-2011, 01:42
As Always great video!!!Have a great time on your hike and be safe out there.HS