PDA

View Full Version : Check THIS out!!!

Sierra Echo
03-09-2011, 08:16
Look at all the stuff in it, and its stuff you need to carry anyway!
Do yall think this would be good for my section hike???

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=199&catname=Kits&prodname=SOL Hybrid 3#

The Cleaner
03-09-2011, 08:49
Somewhere there are gram weannies going OMG! 1lb+...no way...:eek:

mountain squid
03-09-2011, 08:53
Heavy and expensive at first glance.

I have carried some of the 'Featured' items. So, if you were planning on carrying some of those items anyway maybe it is not too heavy and expensive.

Just depends, I reckon. You can always consolidate it to carry only what you want to. But you could also probably find something much lighter and much cheaper.

See you on the trail,
mt squid
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14493)

garlic08
03-09-2011, 09:59

Yeah, that's me. Got me laughing, thanks.

That kit weighs more than my backpack or my sleeping pad, and is just nine ounces less than my shelter.

My kit is a snack-sized baggie with a roll of white cloth tape, a few bandaids, a razor blade, tweezers and Neosporin, supplemented by my bandanna. Cost a few bucks each for the tape and Neosporin.

sixguns01
03-09-2011, 10:19

Me too. My tent and stove combined weigh less than that. I use this (2.3oz) plus any pills I may need. Better living through Chemistry!!!!

http://www.rei.com/product/800721

Hooch
03-09-2011, 10:34
To each their own, but I really think that's a bit (lot) excessive. My first aid kit is a few basic necessities thrown in a ziplock bag. Total weight? 3 oz. :D

WingedMonkey
03-09-2011, 13:31
"Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2"
All that stuff and only two Vitamin I? LOL

fredmugs
03-09-2011, 13:36
I never pack "a kit." Grab a handful of vitamin I and stick it in a baggie. Corn cushions in case I get a blister. A needle to pop said blisters. Neosporin. Going with leukotape instead of moleskin from here on out. A few band aids just because they don't weigh much. That's about it.

-SEEKER-
03-09-2011, 13:38
All I ever needed was band aids, polysporin, nail clippers and duct tape. Also my meds.

-SEEKER-
03-09-2011, 13:43
If you really want/need a First Aid Kit go to www.campmor.com and put first aid in the search box on their home page.

Sickmont
03-09-2011, 13:53
Hmmm....do you suppose its called SOL(S**T OUTTA LUCK) for a reason?

10-K
03-09-2011, 14:04
When I was at Whitehouse Landing there were 2 SOBO's from Georgia hiking the trail together, Hat Trick and Sir Lancealot, who had their first aid kit in a small tackle box (!). It contained a bottle of 500 ibuprofen in the bottle they came in, bandages and gauzes of all kinds, a big tube of Neosporin, and an assortment of lotions, DEET and vitamins. It weighed 2 lbs if it weighed an oz - just the tackle box had to be close to a pound.

They were also carrying a machete in honor of a friend who had planed to hike the trail with them but couldn't go.

DBRIGGS9
03-09-2011, 14:22
My first aid:
3 moleskin
5 Ibuprofen
5 Benadryl
5 Imodium

It's in the same plastic bag as my duct tape, toothbrush/paste, flashlight, needle/tread and matches for a total of 6.5oz.

hobbs
03-09-2011, 14:36
SE- if you want a good first aid kit thats only 7oz look on Ebay at firstaiddiscountsupplies..it comes directly from the manu up to date.You can break it down to less if you would like.I did and when I am climbing or other activities.With groups I add to the 7oz kit with supplements.Just an idea for you..

Sierra Echo
03-09-2011, 17:56
But its so COMPACT and it even comes with a cute little roll of duct tape!
I just love kits and organization type things! And now I love little rolls of duct tape!

WingedMonkey
03-09-2011, 18:03
I just love kits and organization type things! And now I love little rolls of duct tape!

LOL, my duct tape is wrapped around the 35ml film can that the rest of my repair kit is in. Except the cable ties they mention, which I LOVE, they won't fit in the film can, they just go "somewhere" in the pack.

10-K
03-09-2011, 18:48

Get one! Nothing at all wrong with carrying it if you want.

Penguin
03-09-2011, 19:30
Save your money. You already have duct tape, and a foot of it or two wrapped around your hiking pole is all you will need all season. Other then that, only 2 Ibuprofen is a little weak. I would use 4 a day till I switched packs and never used one again. Other then that there is nothing else remotely useful for a hike that your duct tape wouldn't fix.

People carry way to much consumer based crap like this all the time. You really don't need it. How often do you use any of this in your day to day life. Probably never right? Same goes for the trail. If you don't need a super heavy first aid kit like this in your purse when you cruise around town, you won't need to carry it on the trail.

Tweezers are cool I guess I use them a lot here in AZ. On trail though if you get an injury that you cant fix with duct tape and ibuprofen, then you probably need to be rescued and the emt's will have a better kit. For a whole pound I recommend carrying a small plastic pirate sword instead, or maybe a wrestling mask.

See you on the trail.
Guino

JERMM
03-09-2011, 20:01

is there a bigger model with more stuff... maybe a full roll of duct tape...i'd go for it if there is, you never know what you'll need...;)

Hikerhead
03-09-2011, 20:26
Save your money and buy a nice sleeping bag or tent. Something useful.

Rick Hancock
03-09-2011, 20:28
You can go to the Adventure Medical Kits web site as well as other sites and purchase small amounts of whatever item you need. Most pre-supplied medical kits are way overkill, heavy, and full of stuff you'll never use. It's much more practical to build your own.

I include about 6 blister blocks, 4-6 pain pills, 4-6 Imodium, a small tube of neosporin or bacitracin, a strip of Leukotape (12") and a tiny tube of Super Glue.

I use a 1/2 qt. freezer weight baggie to carry the items and put it in my clothing stuff sack.

JERMM
03-09-2011, 20:30

7x6x2.5...doesn't sound compact to me and 1lb 4oz certainly isn't a compact weight

Rick Hancock
03-09-2011, 20:33
But you are right, it does come with that cute roll of 2"x 50" duct tape!

Hikerhead
03-09-2011, 20:35
If you fill like you must buy one of these kits then get this one. It should be good enough till you get to the hospital.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=238&catname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight&prodname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight%20.3#

Papa D
03-09-2011, 20:36
Heavy and expensive - get a tiny eagle creek dopp kit or even just a gallon zip lock and go to a local pharmacy and buy some stuff - a complete personal backpackeer first aid kit has the following:

coaches tape $2.00
small 5" hemostat $6.00
latex gloves $0.25
lance (needle) $1.00 (ask pharmacist for one)
1 oz of iodine solution $1.00
a few gauze pads $0.25
2-3 bandaids $0.25
1 roller gauze $0.25
2 alcohol prep pads $0.25
compede pad for blisters $0.50
2 asprin $0.50
6-8 ibuprophen $0.50
sharpie marker $1.50
(keeping a small pocket-knife or trauma shears can also be helpful)
all of this should weigh about 6 ounces or less if you are careful

I come to about $14.00 plus the zip-lock bag and this is pretty complete - for groups I might add some more blister stuff and maybe if you are a real geek, a pocket mask.

Sometimes I just run with coaches tape, gloves, and a pocket knife - that would solve a lot of problems - really.

Papa D
03-09-2011, 20:42
It's funny - every newbie seems to tote one of those adventure med kits (they are always clean and new looking) but most have no idea what to do with one. - take a course from Wilderness Medical Associates if you want to really know something. But like everyone says - you can use clothing as bandaging material and your pocket-knife for some trail surgery - coaches tape (or duct tape maybe) just about does it. A sharpie is really good to have for writing down things like vital signs, what you plan to do with a victim - emergency notes to others etc. You can see my list above - and it is really too much but I am a geek

JERMM
03-09-2011, 20:46
If you fill like you must buy one of these kits then get this one. It should be good enough till you get to the hospital.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=238&catname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight&prodname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight%20.3#

if i carried that detailed of a kit i would be a certified surgeon

Hikerhead
03-09-2011, 20:58
if i carried that detailed of a kit i would be a certified surgeon

And then we'd have to call you Dr. Jermm and that just doesn't sound good. For day hikes I just carry my cell phone, I have some duct tape on my poles. Week long hikes mostly band aids and a few medical devices like a tweezer.

tammons
03-09-2011, 21:02
Too heavy and an overkill.

If that was all you were going to take on an outing for a day in a day pack, not too bad, but just buy what you need and carry that. Should be able to hit 6-7 oz max with everything.

LDog
03-09-2011, 22:37
I think there is a lot of stuff in this kit you don't really need. Now, I'm a ski patroller, and I carry a huge first aid kit with me all the time. So,my basic instinct is to carry a lot. I'm also old enough to want some basic meds. This is what I intend to put together:

Meds (all restricted to a couple of two-packs except Motrin)

Anti-inflammatory

Motrin (small bottle)
Aspirin

Anti Diarrheal

Imodium A D (Loperamide)

Antihistamine

Loratadine
Hydrocortisone Cream (2.5%)

Antibiotic

Flagyl (needs script)
Neosprin Antibiotic Ointment

Antacid

Tums

Blister Treatment

Compound tincture of benzoin (Adhesive)
Spenco 2nd Skin Adhesive Knit
Leukotape
Needle

Breaks/Sprains

Elastic, cohesive wrap
Sling (Bandana)
Splint with found material

Wound Care

Nitril gloves
Betadine wipes
Bandaids (a couple ea of various sizes)
Butter fly sutures
Gauze pads (a couple ea of various sizes)
Rolled gauze Bandage
Safety pins

Airway

CPR Microshield

Lots of folks will think this is way too much. I admit I'm a first aid geek, and probably (hopefully) won't need a lot of this stuff. But I am an old-school Boy Scout who buys into the "Be Prepared" motto ... to a point. Having said that, I'm leaving my emt shears at home, along with lots of other stuff.

I hope to put this together for less than 8 ozs in a freezer baggie. We'll see.

LDog
03-09-2011, 22:46

That looks pretty damn good.

Hikerhead
03-09-2011, 22:50
That looks pretty damn good.

And my spelling sucks :)

Sierra Echo
03-10-2011, 18:21
ok I'm talking yalls advice and not getting that exceedingly cool pack of crap! I will be working on my home made and not as cool kit as soon as i drag all my crap into the living room. I will post what I put in there. :)

Rick Hancock
03-10-2011, 21:33
Whew! That was a close call. I really think you'll be better off building your own first aid kit. More importantly, take a class at the Y or whatever that will help you know how to react to emergencies from a bee sting to a broke leg. You may never have to use this knowledge but it's good to be prepared. There are plenty of books/pamphlets that are available online etc.

If you lead hikes know a little about the medical history of the people your guiding. A few years ago I had a fellow who was highly allergic to bees and was stung. Another guy was diabetic and carried insulin. Over the years I've had several times when I needed to give first aid to someone (even myself) it's good to be able to react to a situation.

Sierra Echo
03-10-2011, 22:01
OK this is what I have going on so far. And my first aid kit is mixed in with my repair stuff and hygeine stuff. So this is in no particular order:

moleskin
chewable pepto (GAG)
a small vial of advil
bandaids
crest toothpaste
carmex
benedryl
alcohol swabs
a big honking needle
dental floss to sew things up with the big honking needle
a small travel size pack of kleenex
Dr bronners soap stuff
knee brace
ankle brace (i have to have these)
a small thing of "off"
afterbite

that covers it so far. I'm looking for a really lightweight toothbrush. I want a hospital one but my grandmothers vast collection of them disappeared after she died. I think my mom tossed them.
I also want a small set of scissors for the moleskin.

And wally world doesnt sell small rolls of duct tape! The film roll holder is a good idea, but I havent seen one in like 10 yrs! LOL

daddytwosticks
03-11-2011, 08:46
If you use hiking poles, just wrap about a foot or less of standard duct tape around each pole. The tape will always be handy when needed. :)

Mongoose2
03-11-2011, 09:15
Echo, I have always carried an ankle brace.....for scissors I use a small swiss army credit card knife.....it also has tweezers, small knife blade, straight pin (for blisters), small pen, etc. And it's very light weight. Cost about 20.00-30.00 on Amazon

mountain squid
03-11-2011, 09:26
Some observations on your revised list:

Dr Bs is very sudsy - don't need much
hand sanitizer

Don't know when you are starting your hike, Sierra Echo, but if the leaves are not on the trees, you might consider some sunscreen. All day long in the sun frequently translates to burnt skin - OUCH!

Concur: I don't know what a credit card knife is, but a small swiss army knife with scissors and tweezers will probably handle most of the cutting chores you'll encounter on the trail.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14493)

Mongoose2
03-11-2011, 14:34
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31PAWPYJA1L._SS500_.jpg

TheYoungOne
03-11-2011, 16:18
I actually have a first aid kit from Adventure Medical but I got a $10 ultralight .3 version that only weighs 2.5 oz.

Actually my full sized compass, my Dajo Survival knife with fire steel and whistle, and my firstaid kit, which I added extra meds, a large gauze pad, and a small quikcot pad, is still a few ounces lighter them that 1 1/3 pound monster kit. :D

Sierra Echo
03-13-2011, 20:23
I saw this very kit at REI on Saturday and didn't buy. It took a heroic effort not too and someone should be proud of me! LOL
They were having a scratch and dent sale and instead I bought an external frame ALPS mountaineering pack for $20 to hang up on my bedroom wall as decoration. And I bought my MSR Hubba!