PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions in SW Va.

Debbie
03-09-2011, 10:48
I see all the rain reports; does anyone know if the trail/streams etc. are flooding in SW Va. ?

Lone Wolf
03-09-2011, 10:51
they're really high right now. by tomorrow they'll be higher

rambunny
03-09-2011, 13:02
We just went and got our friend who hiked from here to Pearisburg,he said he was fording things he shouldn't have -and we've got rain darn near for 10 days coming,maybe snow tommorrow.It will be great in about 2 weeks.

Debbie
03-09-2011, 13:15
Thanks for the info; I'll be starting a section from rt16-Bland on the 20th-hopefully it'll be better by then. I don't mind fording as long as I don't have to swim!

SawnieRobertson
03-09-2011, 21:56
The creeks are filling more and more. The South Fork of the Holston across from my house is out of its banks but not alarmingly so. Mainly, the water is a light beige with silt. That's tonight. Also, the winds have been ferocious. There may be some blowdowns that will have more blowdowns joining them in the next 72 hours. The story may get a tad more interesting over the next few days. IOW, this is probably not the most delightful time to hike in this immediate vicinity, but, of course, it would be an adventure.--Kinnickinnic

Del Q
03-09-2011, 22:25
Great, leaving for Catawba on Sunday for a 2 week SOBO, will bring my golashes, the lightweight ones.

One great thing, no shortage of water like last spring and fall in Va, we need all of this moisture.

Bears out yet getting their 1st shower of the year?

Debbie
03-10-2011, 07:52
Anybody know what the middle and north forks of the Holston are doing?
(I know it could be a different story in 10 days, though).