PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find love on a Thru-Hike

TheYoungOne
03-09-2011, 15:44
I remember a while back there was a list of reasons why people decided to do a thru hike. Some mention weight loss, beating cancer, but some also mention divorce and breakups.

So has anyone found love on the trail? Did a chance encounter lead to a relationship, or even marriage?

blackbird04217
03-09-2011, 16:01
I did see a few couples who met on the trail and begin / maintain a relationship. But I couldn't imagine anyone going to the trail with the goal of finding love...

sbhikes
03-09-2011, 16:02
I'm sure that it has. I met people on the PCT who became lovers. I think in at least one of the many long trail videosI've seen there were couples that met and got married.

Sickmont
03-09-2011, 17:05
The trail made me fall in love with nature(again).....does that count?

Happy Feet
03-09-2011, 17:19
Within the first year of our marriage Hatman and I realized that we both wanted to hike the trail. It sounded so exciting, daring, and romantic! Well, come Spring we hit the trail. I can see how some couples would end up in divorce!! However, it was a great experience and a great learning experience. We survived and now could live on the trail every year. We worked out our system and know each other well enough to be successful. We know many other hiking 'couples' who are also. In addition to begin hiking partners we're life partners. There's no one I'd rather hike with.

Iceaxe
03-09-2011, 17:42
Hatman and Happyfeet! How you doin? The last time i saw your smiling faces was in Whitewater creek on the PCT in 2009.
You two, as well as many other trail couples like; I-Spy and Booty, Frank and Double Barrel, Frogs and Snorkel, The Noodleheads, Bernie and stacey, Bethany and Steve.. all of you are so inspiring to me.
Someday I hope to share my life with a significant other on the trail too. You trail couples just always seem to be in the "Happy" zone to us solo hikers.

Newb
03-09-2011, 22:12
her name was hamburger. She lived in Franklin. Our relationship was animal, at best.

KillerKowalski
03-10-2011, 01:24
From the A.T. Journerys Novemeber/Decemeber 2010. (http://http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/Hole%20Lot%20of%20Love%20ATJourneysSeptOct2010.pdf )

KillerKowalski
03-10-2011, 01:25
Not sure why the link is not working.

Try this. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/Hole%20Lot%20of%20Love%20ATJourneysSeptOct2010.pdf

TFOS
03-10-2011, 02:19
I found love on a hike once, but the dog already had an owner, so I had to leave him behind. :-(

Mags
03-10-2011, 02:22
I did not meet my significant other on a thru-hike, but I did meet her on a moonlight hike I organized 1.5 yrs ago. :)

She met the family this past Christmas and I am meeting her family in Germany this coming year. (Bought German for Dummies last week!)

I kinda think we like each other. ;)

Chaco Taco
03-10-2011, 12:24
Wakapak and I met thru this site and myspace, met just before I set out on my thru (08) and she met me in Damascus and we continued North. We were married this past April.

Lone Wolf
03-10-2011, 12:34
So has anyone found love on the trail? Did a chance encounter lead to a relationship, or even marriage?

i've had 3 "serious" relationships on the trail. one lasted 3 years, another 1.5 years and the present lady in my life and i have been together close to 11 years

southpaw95
03-10-2011, 12:41
You can find anything you want on the AT.

Sickmont
03-10-2011, 13:05
I'm hoping i can at least find a way to just like myself on the trail

Spokes
03-10-2011, 13:11
Anyone find love on a Thru-Hike

Yep. Every shelter I ever made it to.....

SweetBee
03-10-2011, 13:39
I didn't find love on a thru, as I have yet to actually do a thru, but the Trail has been rather important in my relationship. Hiking has always been something I loved but didn't get to do nearly as often as I wanted to until I met my fiance. We have done some section hiking on the trail and lots of hiking elsewhere mainly in PA but also up in Maine. We have been planning for a thru for quite a while now. In fact, he actually asked me to marry him on the portion of the trail between Quarry Gap Shelter and Caledonia as we were heading back after an overnight to test out my new sleeping bag! We are planning our wedding for Spring 2013 because neither one of us is willing to change our plans for a 2012 thru-hike.

Spirit Walker
03-10-2011, 14:34
In the group in which I hiked in 1992, three couples formed: Jim and I have been together for almost 19 years now, another young couple married and had a couple of kids; I think they're still together, and a third couple tried to work things out after the trail, but they had careers and families on opposite coasts, and couldn't make it work.

In some ways the trail is like a soap opera - Lust in the Dust - couples form and split, married people have affairs, casual hookups happen, hikers meet non-hikers and fall in love (one guy met his girl at an overlook in the Shenandoahs). At the same time, it obviously isn't something you can count on. Some relationships last only a few weeks, others a lifetime. The trail experience is so intense, you can feel like you've known someone forever that you've only known for a few days. People can let down their walls in ways that are difficult in the off-trail world. Alternately, more than one married couple has learned that the person they are married to is really a complete stranger and not one they want to live with any more. When you spend 24 hours a day together, seven days a week - you get to know each other very very well.

ATBuddy
09-05-2011, 22:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIAxNx6W49U

Trailweaver
09-06-2011, 00:53
Sweet. My theory is that if you can thru hike the AT together, you can sure do anything else.

Wombat Farm
09-06-2011, 02:06
I remember reading this post when it came out and did not dare comment at the time but...I did find very unexpected love on the trail two years ago, nearly to the day in the southern part of PA. It's amazing what you find even when you're not looking! I was sitting talking to a crazy ass thru-hiker (and not crazy ass in a good way) when along frolicks this young dark headed thru hiker who barely took the time to stop and say hi (eh, now I know it's because he's just a crazy go go go hiker :sun who loves to do 40 miles a day). He says hi to me and the wacko and then floats along. Then a couple of miles later I run into this Aussie again - we have a short talk and go on our ways to meet later at the same shelter. Again, short conversations (he was a quiet sort really), next morning we're both off seperately on our ways. A couple days later he walks into Doyles while I'm sitting there eating with a look on his face of "what the %$&!" wondering how the hell this section hiker who was behind him, got ahead (keep in mind he does huge mileage)...well, I skipped a part because the crazy ass thru-hiker (sorry I don't remember his name) was a bit freaky and I didn't want him to catch up to me. So, for the next couple of days we hiked together and got to know one another and had a connection that can't be easily explained. After a couple months of whirlwind romance and misunderstandings we parted. After about 20 months of (as it turns out both of us) stalking (in a light not scary way!) we have met up again and have found ourselves to be head over heels in love (obviously I've skipped alot of details but we'll save that for the movie version). The AT was always a magical special place for me being born and raised in NH but now I can't "thank" the magic of the Appalachian Trail and the aura of the community enough. Before I met this special person I always felt a bit lost and uneven and now finally that we are together again, my life is complete. We've got plenty more adventures to explore together but I hope will make it back to where it all started. Sweetie...if you're reading this...I love you! ;)

Jim Adams
09-06-2011, 09:35
I fell head over hills in love with a fellow hiker on my 1990 thru. We were together for about 300 miles and she made plans for us to be together post hike but it just wasn't in the cards...I had a life at home with my kids at the time and our jobs and families just didn't mesh at that time. Mutual friends have given me her phone # and encouraged me to call but she is married now....think about her alot and just can't bring myself to call...21 years later and too many strong feelings still...yes I still love her. The decision to stay with my children at the time was the correct one to make and I will never regret it but I definitely lost the love of my life.

geek

Lone Wolf
09-06-2011, 09:38
I fell head over hills in love with a fellow hiker on my 1990 thru. We were together for about 300 miles and she made plans for us to be together post hike but it just wasn't in the cards...I had a life at home with my kids at the time and our jobs and families just didn't mesh at that time. Mutual friends have given me her phone # and encouraged me to call but she is married now....think about her alot and just can't bring myself to call...21 years later and too many strong feelings still...yes I still love her. The decision to stay with my children at the time was the correct one to make and I will never regret it but I definitely lost the love of my life.

geeki rember her. forgot her name though. i hiked with her a little bit

B-Rabbit
09-06-2011, 10:11
WOW... Deep stuff!

mirabela
09-06-2011, 19:42
Not me, but I knew two couples on my '91 thru who met out there and later married. One, actually, met on their '87 thru hike and got married in Bastian, VA in '91 on their second go-round. In the other case, each started out with a non-romantic trail partner but when they met & things got going, they bailed on their original hiking buddies, hiked more or less Harpers Ferry to Katahdin together, and married afterward. I would venture to say it's a fairly common thing, actually.

SpecialK
09-06-2011, 20:11
I have fell in love the with trail and all the poeple I meet.

4shot
09-06-2011, 20:25
I fell in love with...showers, town food, Long Trail ale, and the people I met during my hike. I still love them all, expecially hot cheeseburgers and people who don't talk about their miles and their gear.

rhjanes
09-06-2011, 22:43
I just finished the book "The Things you find on the Appalachain Trail" (http://www.amazon.com/Things-You-Find-Appalachian-Trail/dp/0786447672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315363328&sr=8-1). Good book. He finds love on the trail.

Hikerhead
09-06-2011, 23:03
Within the first year of our marriage Hatman and I realized that we both wanted to hike the trail. It sounded so exciting, daring, and romantic! Well, come Spring we hit the trail. I can see how some couples would end up in divorce!! However, it was a great experience and a great learning experience. We survived and now could live on the trail every year. We worked out our system and know each other well enough to be successful. We know many other hiking 'couples' who are also. In addition to begin hiking partners we're life partners. There's no one I'd rather hike with.

You two do make a great couple, good folks. <make check out to .......> :)

Safari
09-07-2011, 09:05
I remember reading this post when it came out and did not dare comment at the time but...I did find very unexpected love on the trail two years ago, nearly to the day in the southern part of PA. It's amazing what you find even when you're not looking! I was sitting talking to a crazy ass thru-hiker (and not crazy ass in a good way) when along frolicks this young dark headed thru hiker who barely took the time to stop and say hi (eh, now I know it's because he's just a crazy go go go hiker :sun who loves to do 40 miles a day). He says hi to me and the wacko and then floats along. Then a couple of miles later I run into this Aussie again - we have a short talk and go on our ways to meet later at the same shelter. Again, short conversations (he was a quiet sort really), next morning we're both off seperately on our ways. A couple days later he walks into Doyles while I'm sitting there eating with a look on his face of "what the %$&!" wondering how the hell this section hiker who was behind him, got ahead (keep in mind he does huge mileage)...well, I skipped a part because the crazy ass thru-hiker (sorry I don't remember his name) was a bit freaky and I didn't want him to catch up to me. So, for the next couple of days we hiked together and got to know one another and had a connection that can't be easily explained. After a couple months of whirlwind romance and misunderstandings we parted. After about 20 months of (as it turns out both of us) stalking (in a light not scary way!) we have met up again and have found ourselves to be head over heels in love (obviously I've skipped alot of details but we'll save that for the movie version). The AT was always a magical special place for me being born and raised in NH but now I can't "thank" the magic of the Appalachian Trail and the aura of the community enough. Before I met this special person I always felt a bit lost and uneven and now finally that we are together again, my life is complete. We've got plenty more adventures to explore together but I hope will make it back to where it all started. Sweetie...if you're reading this...I love you! ;)

Wow, it's a funny thing (and somewhat surreal) reading your own little love story on Whiteblaze...! but you got it spot on, thanx darling and I love you too XXX

yappy
09-07-2011, 09:36
These r great stories ! I saw it happen as well and also longterm relationships crumble under the wgt of togetherness

Hutch
09-07-2011, 09:51
Sparrow and I met at Trail Days 2001, introduced by Halfmoon, we are now married and live in Goode, Va. Got married in Damascus, Va. Had Lone Wolf and Gypsy at our wedding. Life is Good !!!!

Wombat Farm
09-08-2011, 09:20
Our little love story.....;) Love you baby! xxx

Wow, it's a funny thing (and somewhat surreal) reading your own little love story on Whiteblaze...! but you got it spot on, thanx darling and I love you too XXX

Wombat Farm
09-08-2011, 09:20
That is great Hutch and Sparrow!

Wombat Farm
01-16-2012, 06:59

well, as it turns out the fairy tale is crushed. I hope all you others who found love (even if's just with nature!) still have it! :-)

d.o.c
01-16-2012, 11:02
this trail is a ribbon of lonesome..

Tenderheart
01-16-2012, 12:56
I remember a while back there was a list of reasons why people decided to do a thru hike. Some mention weight loss, beating cancer, but some also mention divorce and breakups.

No, but I did have a woung woman in MA tell me that she was looking for a sex partner. She immediately pulled all of her clothes off and dived, or dove, into a glacier lake. No fooling!! If I had taken her home with me, my wife wouldn't have let me keep her. She's a little touchy about such things. Go figure.

ChinMusic
01-16-2012, 13:42
i've had 3 "serious" relationships on the trail. one lasted 3 years, another 1.5 years and the present lady in my life and i have been together close to 11 years

And you said it was "just walkin'". Now we know the "rest of the story"......

CrumbSnatcher
01-16-2012, 13:54
during a thruhike i fell in love with a cheeeseburger in north carolina and a pizza in virginia. but when i went back the next year it wasn't all that :-(

birdygal
01-16-2012, 14:13
I just finished the book "The Things you find on the Appalachain Trail" (http://www.amazon.com/Things-You-Find-Appalachian-Trail/dp/0786447672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315363328&sr=8-1). Good book. He finds love on the trail.

You just ruined the book I am reading now

birdygal
01-16-2012, 14:15
I found love on the trail its called the AT

Wombat Farm
01-17-2012, 01:32
LOL You are all so funny! Tenderheart...too bad for you :confused: sounds like she really woulda been a keeper! NOT!

Sierra Echo
01-17-2012, 01:54
I dated a former thru hiker. It appears to be over but I had a lot of fun while it lasted. Men really suck. BAD!

Lone Wolf
01-17-2012, 02:15
I dated a former thru hiker. It appears to be over but I had a lot of fun while it lasted. Men really suck. BAD!wow. you've got issues

ShoelessWanderer
01-17-2012, 02:30
Not on a thru hike but I meet my now husband 15 years ago on a hike. His father forced him to lead a girl scout hike, and well, of course you shouldn't throw a 13 year old boy into a girl scout camp and not expect something to happen. :)

louisb
01-17-2012, 08:42
Not on a thru hike but I meet my now husband 15 years ago on a hike. His father forced him to lead a girl scout hike, and well, of course you shouldn't throw a 13 year old boy into a girl scout camp and not expect something to happen. :)

LOL that is great.

--louis

fiddlehead
01-17-2012, 09:32
I once started a thru with a girl who I liked a little bit.
We did a thru-hike together and fell in love.
Ended up getting married even.
The hike lasted 5 months.
The marriage then lasted about 4.

We got along much better when we were together all the time.
When we got into the working world, we barely saw each other.

Work can suck. (so can marriage)

Seatbelt
01-17-2012, 09:55
In May 2011 I stayed in Cable Gap Shelter with the "Pink Panthers". Both in their 80's and wore pink rain gear, claimed they met many years earlier on the trail, married and are still hiking together and were attempting another thru. Don't know how far they got, but Uncle Johhnny told me they made it to Erwin.

Sierra Echo
01-17-2012, 10:04
wow. you've got issues

Now THAT is the pot calling the kettle black!

Lone Wolf
01-17-2012, 10:07
Now THAT is the pot calling the kettle black!i have never said "women really suck. BAD!"

Sierra Echo
01-17-2012, 10:08
i have never said "women really suck. BAD!"

Maybe you have, maybe you haven't. But you sure have some issues!

Lone Wolf
01-17-2012, 10:09
Maybe you have, maybe you haven't. But you sure have some issues!well, list them

Summit
01-17-2012, 10:48
Got my soda, popcorn, and comfy slippers . . . this should be entertaining! :)

HiKen2011
01-17-2012, 19:09
I've been lucky I suppose, everyone I have met on the trail has been super nice and I love em all.

hikerboy57
01-17-2012, 19:13
found mty dreamgirl this past august at madison hut. beautiful long legs, and the softest brown eyes ive ever gazed into!
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=47861&catid=member&imageuser=28481

HiKen2011
01-17-2012, 19:33
found mty dreamgirl this past august at madison hut. beautiful long legs, and the softest brown eyes ive ever gazed into!
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=47861&catid=member&imageuser=28481

She's a beauty.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2012, 21:12

She's a beauty.damn good eatin'!

Cuffs
01-19-2012, 12:44
I dated a former thru hiker. It appears to be over but I had a lot of fun while it lasted. Men really suck. BAD!Maybe the problem is not in the men...

flemdawg1
01-19-2012, 12:56
Ouch.

I was the common denominator in every failed relationship I've ever had.

Hutch
01-19-2012, 13:02
Hiking in 2001 I met Sparrow at Trail Days, fell in love !!! We are now married and live in Virginia. Life is GOOD !!

Summit
01-19-2012, 14:21
In my 17 years of marriage, my wife has been married to 5 different men . . . and they've all been me!!!! :eek:

Theosus
01-19-2012, 20:14
What about just lust on the trail? Love is good, but a one night stand in the tent could go a long way towards increasing morale and making a thru hike (heck even a four day weekender) a lot better... For singles, not married dudes like me.

lunchbx
01-19-2012, 20:41
should i call the police?

lunchbx
01-19-2012, 20:51

I meant to quote this first and the say:::

should I call the police?

WanderWoman
02-16-2012, 23:47
Hmm, Did she then drive off in a Range Rover by chance?

CrumbSnatcher
02-17-2012, 00:01
What about just lust on the trail? Love is good, but a one night stand in the tent could go a long way towards increasing morale and making a thru hike (heck even a four day weekender) a lot better... For singles, not married dudes like me.alot of waitress's along the way:rolleyes::D

ShoelessWanderer
03-29-2012, 19:17
lol, no!! I was 12! lol, was totally legal! :)

One Half
03-29-2012, 20:30

I found true love on the trail. Every time I look at my husband after a great day of hiking or a hard day it doesn't matter - I fall in love all over again.

Old Boots
03-29-2012, 21:05
Irish Dream and Falling Turtle are getting married at trail days or so they say at Riff Raff.
Irish Dream is the name he was given.
Falling Turtle's with whom he's been living'.
They share the same bed,
And soon will be we'd.
At last they have found their blue heaven.

Capt Nat
03-30-2012, 01:05
Well, I've got to figgure out how to get this thread deleted before my wife, "The Admiral" reads it. I have convinced her that the only romance on the trail is either with bears or Sasquatch. All this trail romance must be young folks. After hiking all day, I have just enough energy to set up camp before I go to sleep.

rocketsocks
03-30-2012, 01:12
Well, I've got to figgure out how to get this thread deleted before my wife, "The Admiral" reads it. I have convinced her that the only romance on the trail is either with bears or Sasquatch. All this trail romance must be young folks. After hiking all day, I have just enough energy to set up camp before I go to sleep.Well have you thought about taking "Horny Goat Weed"?

Capt Nat
03-30-2012, 09:02
hahaha, I don't want her to know about that either or I'll never get any rest!

Wolf - 23000
03-30-2012, 22:55
I have. Woman seems to love to tell, "take a HIKE!!!" What a great thing to say! :)

Wolf

d.o.c
03-31-2012, 11:57
i think the trail keeps telling me im missing this part "love"that is

Hawkwind61
04-01-2012, 09:21
Well, I've got to figgure out how to get this thread deleted before my wife, "The Admiral" reads it. I have convinced her that the only romance on the trail is either with bears or Sasquatch. All this trail romance must be young folks. After hiking all day, I have just enough energy to set up camp before I go to sleep.
LOL! Having the same issues with my couch-potato hubby. Thankfully he does not use the computer very often. And when he does it's often a matter of: "Please turn on the computer and find this site for me...oh and can you put in my password for me too?" :rolleyes:

I keep telling him. "Most men on the trail are much younger than I am."

Shhhh!

thevagabond79
05-20-2012, 12:22

Loved reading this thread! Any more new stories?

Miner
05-20-2012, 12:35
When I hiked the PCT, a couple frormed in the desert of SoCal. ~3 weeks latter in the middle of the High Sierra, several days from any road or civilization, the guy dumps her in a spectacular way. For the next 1000 miles, the registers were full of nasty comments from her as she hiked ahead of him. Oh the disfunction and drama of the trail!

Between the physical exertion of doing 25+ mile days almost everyday and not being around very any woman for any real length of time, I just never really thought of lust or love on the trail. The only woman I had any interest in was the waitress carrying a large tray of food to my table. So I have to wonder what some people are eating because I'm apparently doing it wrong.

Rusty Nail
05-20-2012, 13:35
16012I found love on the trail.