PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets

WingedMonkey
03-09-2011, 17:33
Homemade Instant Oatmeal

3 cups Quick-Cooking Oats
Salt
Small sized Zip Baggies

Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender and blend on high until powdery. Set aside in a small bowl, and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats. If you're using a food processor, you can do the 1 cup of oats in one batch.

Put the following ingredients into each zip baggie: 1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 Tbsp. powdered oats, and 1/8 tsp. salt. Store in an airtight container.

To serve: Empty packet into a bowl. Add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir and let stand for 2 minutes. For thicker oatmeal, use less water - for thinner oatmeal, use more water.

Variations:
Add whatever you like: Brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, freeze dried fruits, powdered milk, non-dairy coffee creamer, nuts.
:sun

Rocket Jones
03-09-2011, 17:46
You don't have to go to the trouble of the blender. Just leave the oats to stand a little longer. At work I use the regular oats and let them sit in a covered bowl for about 10 minutes and they're cooked just fine.

moytoy
03-09-2011, 17:57
Both methods from WM and RJ work fine. I personally don't like mush so the powder doesn't apeal to me much. I eat one min. oatmeal raw with raisins as my trail mix. I carry my oatmeal in one large ziplok and just spoon out what I need and close it back up..saves me carrying around small ziplocks.

WingedMonkey
03-09-2011, 18:04
Both methods from WM and RJ work fine. I personally don't like mush so the powder doesn't apeal to me much. I eat one min. oatmeal raw with raisins as my trail mix. I carry my oatmeal in one large ziplok and just spoon out what I need and close it back up..saves me carrying around small ziplocks.

I've tried the "raw" oatmeal that you and Garlic eat like that...I just can't do it.

Ladytrekker
03-09-2011, 19:34
Homemade Instant Oatmeal

3 cups Quick-Cooking Oats
Salt
Small sized Zip Baggies

Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender and blend on high until powdery. Set aside in a small bowl, and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats. If you're using a food processor, you can do the 1 cup of oats in one batch.

Put the following ingredients into each zip baggie: 1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 Tbsp. powdered oats, and 1/8 tsp. salt. Store in an airtight container.

To serve: Empty packet into a bowl. Add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir and let stand for 2 minutes. For thicker oatmeal, use less water - for thinner oatmeal, use more water.

Variations:
Add whatever you like: Brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, freeze dried fruits, powdered milk, non-dairy coffee creamer, nuts.

I add a tablespoon of powdered milk, brown sugar and some dried fruit to my packets. Makes a tasty breakfast.

hikingshoes
03-09-2011, 20:05
I enjoy Maple &Brown Sugar instant Oatmeal with my coffee.HS

Lilred
03-09-2011, 21:43
I enjoy Maple &Brown Sugar instant Oatmeal with my coffee.HS

That's what I have every morning, on trail and off. When I'm hiking I carefully tear it open close to the top and add water right to the little package it comes in. Make sure you use a bandana or something cause it will get hot. Stir with a spoon and let set for about a minute and spoon it right out of the packet. No mess, nothing to clean. Burn the package when done. nothing to carry out.

10-K
03-09-2011, 21:46
I pour a bunch of granola in a quart size freezer bag and add 3/4 of powdered milk. When I boil my coffee water I add enough to mix with the granola & powdered milk.

CinciJP
03-10-2011, 20:30
Hey Cookin' Guru's,

I like to cook steel-cut oatmeal at home, and was wondering how I could do it on the trail. I suppose I could boil water and let it steep all night, but I'd rather not leave it out for the critters to get. :)

I was wondering, could I cook it up in batches at home and dehydrate it? Do you think it would quick cook on the trail that way?

Thanks!

Jeff.

swjohnsey
03-10-2011, 22:18
Don't know 'xactly what steel oatmeal is. Sounds very exotic and expensive. Most oats like the Quaker type rolled oats will cook adequately by adding them to water, bringing the mix to a boil and let set for five minutes or so. Experiment.

My "instant oatmeal" consists of 1/2 cup of quick oats, 1/4 c raisins, 1/4 c sugar (granulated, brown, raw, powdered), 1/4 c powdered whole milk, tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg in pt Ziploc. Add this to 2 cups cold water. Bring to boil and let set 'til cool enough to eat (5 min). Any dried frut works. Most fresh fruits work like peaches, bannanas, apples. Leave stuff out, add stuff. If you use fresh fruit wait 'til cooked and add to top. Save the bag and use it at your next resupply.

sarbar
03-11-2011, 01:30
Hey Cookin' Guru's,

I like to cook steel-cut oatmeal at home, and was wondering how I could do it on the trail. I suppose I could boil water and let it steep all night, but I'd rather not leave it out for the critters to get. :)

I was wondering, could I cook it up in batches at home and dehydrate it? Do you think it would quick cook on the trail that way?

Thanks!

Jeff.

yes you can...I have read of others doing it just fine :) Do you slow cook it at home? That is a really nice way to prepare it as well!

CinciJP
03-11-2011, 02:24
Don't know 'xactly what steel oatmeal is. Sounds very exotic and expensive. Most oats like the Quaker type rolled oats will cook adequately by adding them to water, bringing the mix to a boil and let set for five minutes or so. Experiment.

My "instant oatmeal" consists of 1/2 cup of quick oats, 1/4 c raisins, 1/4 c sugar (granulated, brown, raw, powdered), 1/4 c powdered whole milk, tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg in pt Ziploc. Add this to 2 cups cold water. Bring to boil and let set 'til cool enough to eat (5 min). Any dried frut works. Most fresh fruits work like peaches, bannanas, apples. Leave stuff out, add stuff. If you use fresh fruit wait 'til cooked and add to top. Save the bag and use it at your next resupply.

Hey SWJohnsey,

Steel-cut oats are the original oat kernel (or I guess groat) just cut in half, so you get all the bran and such that is lost when you "roll" an oat. They're healthier, but take longer to cook. That's why I'm hunting a version for the trail. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-cut_oats

J.

CinciJP
03-11-2011, 02:27
yes you can...I have read of others doing it just fine :) Do you slow cook it at home? That is a really nice way to prepare it as well!

Cool, thanks Sarah! I'm going to try it next week then. I usually prepare mine using the overnight method: boil water, add oats, cover, let sit all night. Easier to have ready with some frozen blueberries in the morning. :)

J.

KillerKowalski
03-11-2011, 02:59
Awesome recipe!

swjohnsey
03-11-2011, 09:48
Hey SWJohnsey,

Steel-cut oats are the original oat kernel (or I guess groat) just cut in half, so you get all the bran and such that is lost when you "roll" an oat. They're healthier, but take longer to cook. That's why I'm hunting a version for the trail. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-cut_oats

J.

Can you get oatbran? Oatbran has all that stuff but is more compact, you get about the same calories in 1/4 c of oatbran as you do in 1/2 c oatmeal. It cooks as fast as instant oatmeal. I like it better than oatmeal and start out with it but switch to oatmeal because you can't find it in grocery stores.

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2011, 10:10
Don't forget a fruit roll up can add flavor to your oats,

Sunshine Tami Jo
03-11-2011, 10:10
I read somewhere that for the slow-cooking stuff, make it the night before and put it in your nalgene. Tuck the nalgene with the hot oat mixture into your sleeping bag with you to help keep you warm on a cool night, and then your breakfast will still be warm and ready to eat when you wake up. Haven't tried it, but it sounds great so I intend to. I think that would work well for the steel-cut oats, which I eat at home and love. Only problem would be cleaning that thick mixture out of your nalgene. I love to put dried apricots in mine...yum!

Rocket Jones
03-11-2011, 12:48
I read somewhere that for the slow-cooking stuff, make it the night before and put it in your nalgene. Tuck the nalgene with the hot oat mixture into your sleeping bag with you to help keep you warm on a cool night, and then your breakfast will still be warm and ready to eat when you wake up. Haven't tried it, but it sounds great so I intend to. I think that would work well for the steel-cut oats, which I eat at home and love. Only problem would be cleaning that thick mixture out of your nalgene. I love to put dried apricots in mine...yum!

You only need about 10 minutes to cook the slow-cooking oatmeal. No need for overnight.

I

Rocket Jones
03-11-2011, 12:52

Slow-cooking oatmeal only needs to sit about 10 minutes after adding boiling water to it. I also doubt that a nalgene full of oatmeal will be anything warmer than body temperature after a night in your sleeping bag.

But check it for yourself. :) I test a lot of FBC recipes and meals at work for breakfast and lunch, and I've been known to pull out the stove and backpackers kitchen at home on weekends while I'm working outside. :)

Cookerhiker
03-11-2011, 12:59
To further enrich your oatmeal mix when preparing at home, add ground flaxmeal. I use 1 Tablespoon per serving of oatmeal.

Re. steel cut oats, I cook them at home also and really appreciate the info on how to prepare them on the Trail. Think I'll try it at home first and see if it works.

CinciJP
03-11-2011, 16:54
Can you get oatbran? Oatbran has all that stuff but is more compact, you get about the same calories in 1/4 c of oatbran as you do in 1/2 c oatmeal. It cooks as fast as instant oatmeal. I like it better than oatmeal and start out with it but switch to oatmeal because you can't find it in grocery stores.

I'll have to give it a try. Because I'm trying to watch my nutrition on the trail, I'm planning on getting my food mostly by mail drop, so that would work out as well. Thanks!

sarbar
03-11-2011, 17:02
I didn't post it here (I did over on Backpackinglight's forums), this is a good basic recipe to avoid using commercial packets:
http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/instant-oatmeal-packets

Myself...I love eating old fashioned oats - which you can soak and eat if one doesn't mind raw. But it will also cook with just boiling water poured over (though at home I love a hearty bowl where I cook the oats with milk and fruit :) Yum!

DripDry
03-11-2011, 17:35
McCanns makes a quick version that is pretty good- but I decided I didn't want to spend the difference for a long hike. Also Trader Joes make a quick cook steel cut (haven't tried it). I just use regular Quick Cook now, which is much better that instant. I make my own FBC meals as Sarah has in her links above (oh- and thanks Sarah!). Variety really helps- dehydated (or FD) strawberries, sugar and almonds are good too.

300winmag
03-13-2011, 23:52
I no longer eat Quaker Instant Oatmeal. Portions are too small. I get Trader Joe's or other instant oatmeal single serving packets at health food stores. I always add granola and rasins or Craisins and some nuts.

Cookerhiker
03-14-2011, 10:27
.... Because I'm trying to watch my nutrition on the trail, I'm planning on getting my food mostly by mail drop, so that would work out as well. Thanks!

IMO that's very smart on your part. Don't let the naysayers talk you out of maildrops.

CinciJP
03-16-2011, 08:56
IMO that's very smart on your part. Don't let the naysayers talk you out of maildrops.

Thanks. :) Because I'm hypoglycemic, I can't eat the high-carb meals that aren't made with whole grains without feeling the impact in my energy levels. And I want to up the amount of nutrition I get from veggies in my meals, so I'm going to have to make them.

CinciJP
03-16-2011, 08:57
McCanns makes a quick version that is pretty good- but I decided I didn't want to spend the difference for a long hike. Also Trader Joes make a quick cook steel cut (haven't tried it). I just use regular Quick Cook now, which is much better that instant. I make my own FBC meals as Sarah has in her links above (oh- and thanks Sarah!). Variety really helps- dehydated (or FD) strawberries, sugar and almonds are good too.

I have to work through the #10 can of steel cut oats I got from Honeyville, but I'll check them out. :)

CinciJP
03-16-2011, 09:01
I didn't post it here (I did over on Backpackinglight's forums), this is a good basic recipe to avoid using commercial packets:
http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/instant-oatmeal-packets

Myself...I love eating old fashioned oats - which you can soak and eat if one doesn't mind raw. But it will also cook with just boiling water poured over (though at home I love a hearty bowl where I cook the oats with milk and fruit :) Yum!

I had not thought of adding dried milk to my oatmeal packs before reading these threads. I'm not normally a milk drinker, but I like the idea of including it on the trail.

Thanks for all your ideas and sharing Sarah!

Farr Away
03-16-2011, 10:20
If you're making up your own packs of oatmeal, you can add a lot of extra nutrition to them. Some things to try:

a sprinkle of kelp powder
ground nuts \
ground seeds / more complete protein if added together
ground flaxseed
wheat germ
whole milk powder &/or powdered buttermilk &/or powdered coconut milk
dried fruit
ground beans - split peas, lentils, black, garbanzos, etc

You can also change this up and substitute different kinds of ground grains, alone or in combinations - rice, wheat, buckwheat, kamut, amaranth, etc. Obviously, unless you cook and dehydrate the beans and grains, these are not going to be instant cereals.

I made all my son's baby cereals, and got a lot of ideas from Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron.

sarbar
03-16-2011, 10:24
Dry milk (be it dairy or non-dairy) is great to add because it makes the oatmeal creamier but also adds much needed calories and protein :)

Farr Away, smiling on the baby cereal comment - we do as well! Easy Peasy!

Camping Dave
03-16-2011, 18:59
I love oatmeal. On the trail I carry plain oats in one container, and a topping mix comprising brown sugar, dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, cherries, whatever is laying around the house), chopped walnuts and/or pecans, cinnamon, and (yeah baby) coconut flakes. Mmmmm.

At home I make steel cut oats all the time. Haven't done it on the trail yet. I carry a white gas stove though, so maybe next weekend.

klpicktown
03-17-2011, 15:29
i vacuum seal all my oat packets with powdered milk, touch of sugar, and delicious milk chocolate chips....mmmmmmm creamy