PDA

View Full Version : Where is the toughest hiking in the US?

Cool Hands
03-09-2011, 18:04
In my naive and biased opinion, I'd be inclined to say the White Mountains of New Hampshire, because I've heard the gradings in parts of the country outside of the northern northeast, especially outside of the Whites, are much more rational -- though the eastern US is all pretty tough I've heard, probably because its comparatively less rugged ridges allow and challenge trails to climb virtually anywhere. After all, the 500-mile-longer PCT supposedly has only 300,000 feet of elevation change compared to the AT's 475,200 feet, according to the sources cited on wikipedia.

So, I'd vote for the Whites. Not really talking individual trails, but regions or long-distance trails.

moytoy
03-09-2011, 18:13
Frankly I'll take climbing a mountain to walking in a swamp any day. So the Florida Everglades get my vote.

Dogwood
03-09-2011, 18:17
On maintained trail, partially on maintained trail/tread, or bushwacking?

During what season? Snow/desert heat/major spring fords/etc involved?

First, I think we all have to expand our hiking minds to NOT ONLY include the 3 main N-S long distance hiking trails!

Elevation changes can sure play into the hiking difficulty but so can hiking at a high elevation(say above 10,000 ft) for prolonged periods like on the Colorado or Continental Divide Trails. What abaout hiking the Arizona Trail during the hotter parts of the YR? What about hiking the Great Divide, Pacific Northwest, or say the West Coast Trail during prolonged bouts of heavy rain/sleet/snow?

Elevation profiles don't tell the whole story about how hard/easy the hiking might be! Even elevation profiles can be misleading depending on their scale, ratios between vertical and horizontal, and the quality of the trail/tread!

jrnj5k
03-09-2011, 18:28
Devils path in the catskills is pretty rough. 24miles with 18000 feet of elevation. Its straight up and straight down the wholeway.

Cool Hands
03-09-2011, 19:25
On maintained trail, partially on maintained trail/tread, or bushwacking?

During what season? Snow/desert heat/major spring fords/etc involved?

First, I think we all have to expand our hiking minds to NOT ONLY include the 3 main N-S long distance hiking trails!

Elevation changes can sure play into the hiking difficulty but so can hiking at a high elevation(say above 10,000 ft) for prolonged periods like on the Colorado or Continental Divide Trails. What abaout hiking the Arizona Trail during the hotter parts of the YR? What about hiking the Great Divide, Pacific Northwest, or say the West Coast Trail during prolonged bouts of heavy rain/sleet/snow?

Elevation profiles don't tell the whole story about how hard/easy the hiking might be! Even elevation profiles can be misleading depending on their scale, ratios between vertical and horizontal, and the quality of the trail/tread!

Well, I was still thinking more of how rugged and challenging the trails are -- but I guess the hardest trails to negotiate (as in rocks, poor maintenance, and such), the hottest trails, the wettest trails, or the snowiest trails would be interesting to hear. Not bushwacking, I think I implied I was talking maintained trails -- and I didn't mean to imply I was only considering the Triple Crown, I just cited an example for the tendencies of western US trails to be more gently graded, by my understanding. Sorry if I was vague -- this is the General section, so I posted a general question. Care to give an example of what you consider the hardest regions?

Cool Hands
03-09-2011, 19:41
Devils path in the catskills is pretty rough. 24miles with 18000 feet of elevation. Its straight up and straight down the wholeway.

http://www.backpacker.com/october_1999_destinations_toughest_trails/destinations/477

I just googled devil's path and found this article -- very interesting, since I live in Connecticut and this would definitely be doable on a long weekend. King's Ravine sounds like a must-do too!

Leanthree
03-09-2011, 19:52
I have never hiked there but I would imagine Denali, Alaska is the answer to your question.

Ox97GaMe
03-09-2011, 19:58
Not all the trails out west are 'graded'. you can find some pretty rugged hiking in RMNP, GNP, and the Tetons. Many of the higher peaks (13,000+) can be challenging, and some are technical climbs (requiring ropes). The climb up Half Dome in Yosemite is pretty grueling too.
Some of the climbs on the Long Trail (Camel, Mansfield) are as rigorous as in the Whites.
One of the hardest trails that I ever hiked was the Pacific Rim Trail. It has ladders that scale rock ledges.

Ox97GaMe
03-09-2011, 19:59
I have heard that Pantegonia (Argentina/Chile) is pretty grueling hiking too.

fiddlehead
03-09-2011, 20:06
As for the US, bushwhacking some parts of the CDT in CO can be as steep as you want.
You add your own switchbacks or, you go straight up.
Bushwhacking through sections where there are millions of blowdowns (Pasaic wilderness, after the cyclone hit it in 1997 was close to impossible)

Outside of the US, the Pyrenees HRP route had some sections that were 3,000 feet per mile. (that is as steep as I've hiked) and I've been to the Himalayas 7 times.

Of course, hiking can be vertical, depending on where you go but switchbacks are put in to make it easier (and do-able)
Yes, the whites are tough, but they are usually clear of blowdowns and maintained.
THAT makes them do-able.

It's all Good.

Leanthree
03-09-2011, 20:10
I have heard that Pantegonia (Argentina/Chile) is pretty grueling hiking too.

If we are going international (places worth going so excluding the poles, inside volcanos and other nonsense places) then just go to Tibet/Nepal.

Papa D
03-09-2011, 20:17
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park & Preserve, Alaska

Cabin Fever
03-09-2011, 20:30
Away from the buffet line

Hikerhead
03-09-2011, 20:37
The Harry Johns Trail in PA. I bet nobody has hiked that...except for one other.

Papa D
03-09-2011, 21:39
The Garnet Canyon Trail in the Tetons with full climbing and camping gear will get your attention - it's not close to the "hardest thing in the US" but it gains 1000' per mile for 6 miles - not exactly cake

Feral Bill
03-09-2011, 21:50
I have never hiked there but I would imagine Denali, Alaska is the answer to your question.

Surprisingly easy hiking. A very few easy trails, and plenty of strolling through the tundra. Must get back there.

Mags
03-09-2011, 21:53
The walk up my staircase at the end of the weekend. It means I have to wait until the following week to go hiking, climbing, skiing, backpacking etc.

Damn hard hike.

Blissful
03-09-2011, 22:00
So, I'd vote for the Whites.

Naa try the Mahoosucs of Maine. Makes the Whites seem easy. ;)

Cool Hands
03-09-2011, 22:28
Naa try the Mahoosucs of Maine. Makes the Whites seem easy. ;)

Hiked those last summer, I guess I kind of included them in my idea of the whole White Mountains area. The Mahoosucs are insane. I love how the trail just shoots up the mountainsides -- no switchbacks or anything.

Snowleopard
03-09-2011, 22:36
The Great Range Trail in the Adirondacks is fairly demanding and very beautiful:
Rooster Comb, Hedgehog, Lower Wolf Jaw, Upper Wolf Jaw, Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback, Haystack and end with Marcy, 14000' elevation gain and loss. Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback and Haystack are especially beautiful. Backpacking it is now harder than when I was on it because camping is not allowed above 3500' elev. I had intended to have a relaxing trip, but I had to walk faster than the black flies fly and couldn't stop without getting eaten.

For a shorter trail, Huntington Ravine in the White Mtns (NH) is supposed to be very steep, but I haven't done it yet.

King's Ravine Trail is not easy, but all the above are harder.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2011, 22:37
The last 50 miles (north end) of the Long trail is definately in the top 10.

stranger
03-10-2011, 08:23
Mile for mile, the Sierra High Route has to be the hardest known route in North America, 200 miles, mostly off trail, average elevation over 10,000 feet, etc...

stranger
03-10-2011, 08:23
Mile for mile, the Sierra High Route has to be the hardest known route in North America, 200 miles, mostly off trail, average elevation over 10,000 feet, etc...

stranger
03-10-2011, 08:26
Not sure what happened with the double post, whoops!

Wolf - 23000
03-10-2011, 12:25
There are a couple places in Hawaii that are butt kickers. In the White Mt, I can still do 20 - 25 miles a day. There are some in Hawaii it took me half a day just to do a couple of miles.

Wolf

sbhikes
03-10-2011, 14:38
Mt. San Jacinto is pretty tough. There's a trail called Cactus to Clouds, from Palm Springs to the summit, that has about 10,000 feet of elevation gain in about 17 miles. You have to hike in the desert for much of the trail. Going down is pretty easy though since there's a restaurant and a tram.

Lots of people hike on San Jacinto, get lost and die.

HiKen2011
03-10-2011, 14:48
I've always heard the CT is the toughest of trails? Is this true? I'm certainly no expert but would like to hear from others who have hiked the trail.

on_the_GOEZ
03-10-2011, 15:21
Some of the climbs on the Long Trail (Camel, Mansfield) are as rigorous as in the Whites.

The Northern 50 miles of the LT are grueling, especially these summits, and especially in heavy fog, wind and rain! I will be able to compare to the Whites and Mahoosacs after this summer! :banana

Cookerhiker
03-10-2011, 16:01
IMO, the AT in Maine from the NH line to Safford Notch below Avery Peak is tougher than the Whites.

Some trails I've been on in the West are at least as steep as NH & ME but the footing is usually less rugged.

on_the_GOEZ
03-10-2011, 17:22
The Knobstone Trail, Indiana's longest maintained trail, goes up and down the Knobstone Escarpment for ~50 miles...up, down, up, down, up, down... There's a reason its referred to as the 'Little AT'

But it rarely goes above 900 feet.. woohoo indiana!

stranger
03-10-2011, 17:44
The Northern 50 miles of the LT are grueling, especially these summits, and especially in heavy fog, wind and rain! I will be able to compare to the Whites and Mahoosacs after this summer! :banana

I've thru-hiked the Long Trail and I agree that it's a pretty tough trail, but for me it was the section between Appalachian Gap and Lamoille River that kicked my butt.

Personally I found the northern 50 miles significantly easier than the middle section, with the easiest section being the 100 miles along the LT/AT.

Remember the stinging nettles? 300 foot long puddles, those friggin slime covered ladders!

What a trip though, changed my life.

lori
03-10-2011, 17:47
It depends on what's difficult for you. Maybe the AT has more cumulative gain, but it probably doesn't have any 4,000 - 7,000 foot climbs up granite steps that you have to get over before the afternoon thunderstorm blows in. It's easier for ME to do the rolling ups and downs of 50-500 foot gain than slogging interminably up the same hill for 6 hours.

Of course, I'd rather hike in the Sierra than anywhere else for other reasons, so I'll do the slog instead of something easier just the same.

on_the_GOEZ
03-10-2011, 17:52
Remember the stinging nettles? 300 foot long puddles, those friggin slime covered ladders!

The Long Trail - A Foot-bath in the Wilderness! This isnt so grueling as it is just annoying. 300 ft? I think the ones i walked thru were something like 900! ;)

Oh, and the stingy nettles? yaaaaaaaa. dont really wanna remember those....

Papa D
03-10-2011, 22:34
Um - I hiked the LT last year and it was wonderful - yes, a little muddy and hiking up Mt. Mansfield was fairly stout (along with Mt. Ethan Allen, Camel's hump, etc. etc.) and I loved it, but there is NO WAY that that is the hardest hiking in the US - not even close - I've hiked a ton in Colorado and Wyoming and Idaho and I'm telling you, it's not close - the hardest hiking is in Alaska. The Canol Heritage Trail (which of course is in Canada) might be the hardest thing I know - navagation, serious river crossings, serious bear threats, real weather - truly the full treatment - the LT was really, really wonderful, but not in the top 50 hardest hikes.

camojack
03-10-2011, 22:46
I have never hiked there but I would imagine Denali, Alaska is the answer to your question.Surprisingly easy hiking. A very few easy trails, and plenty of strolling through the tundra. Must get back there.
Yes, the trails in Denali N.P. (which I've done; see my gallery) are pretty easy...but maybe "Leanthree" meant Denali the mountain, A.K.A. Mt. McKinley (which I haven't). That has to be pretty tough... :-?

HoorayCookies
03-10-2011, 23:31

I've found rain pants are perfect for nettles. the nettles aren't strong enough to poke through, usually. (yay, off-topic!)

bulldog
03-11-2011, 00:47
All the varying responses about the same trail seem to indicate you do have to factor in weather, time of year, and really what just plain bothers you when hiking. I've hiked the Long Trail twice...once in summer and once in late fall/early winter. I wouldn't consider any parts of my Long Trail hike in the summer to be the toughest hiking I've ever done. Hiking up Mt. Mansfield with three inches of snow on the ground, a half-inch of ice on top of that, while sleet blew in 40-50 mph wind gusts would definitely make my top five toughest hikes, though.

McPick
03-11-2011, 12:55
I've always heard the CT is the toughest of trails? Is this true? I'm certainly no expert but would like to hear from others who have hiked the trail.

Naaaaaaa... If the weather's good, once you get acclimated it's a cake walk.

Tenderheart
03-11-2011, 13:00
I was so happy to be through the Mahoosuc Notch that I didn't even notice the climb out.

llitefoot 2000

sbhikes
03-11-2011, 13:09
That last 5000 feet to the top of Everest is pretty tough, too.

camojack
03-11-2011, 21:50
That last 5000 feet to the top of Everest is pretty tough, too.
Last time I checked, Mt. Everest was not in the US. :rolleyes:
(You might want to read the original question...)

GeneralLee10
03-11-2011, 22:42
Frankly I'll take climbing a mountain to walking in a swamp any day. So the Florida Everglades get my vote.

HA! swamps are nothing to walk in my friend. I have spent 13 years in and out of them. Now if you have to carry a 60lb bag of concrete and a 8' 4x4 post @ 110deg temps, I'd vote the swamp. Just my opinion:)

slow
03-11-2011, 23:22
Done MAGS fav in his state,PA most of my childhood,NY upstate.

FL in the swamp in aug ...even for a month is the REAL BIG GRIND.

Mags
03-12-2011, 01:57
Done MAGS fav in his state,P

Why..that's Jerimoth hill, of course! Hardest. Hike. Ever.

http://www.pmags.com/jerimoth-hill-ri

SwitchbackVT
03-12-2011, 02:21
Anyone hike up the Mt. Flume Slide Trail, along the Franconia Ridge, NH? That stands out to me as the most challenging (scary) hike I've done, the last mile or so at least. Even on a nice day, the rocks are slimy and wet and there's no alternative but straight up the slide. Almost took the express route down, got lucky that day.

coss
03-12-2011, 14:15
I've hiked all over the Whites and Adirondacks, and in my opinion, the ADKs are more difficult both overall and in their individual tough sections. Trail design has something to do with the differences. The ADK trails are usually a straight line on a map, directly down the fall line, where the trailbed eroded down to rock, without switchbacks, etc.

Difficult Whites trails:
South slope of South Kinsman
Huntington Ravine (only short segments are tough, but what a beautiful place)
Flume Slide Trail, downhill, with a pack (bad idea)
Wildcat E, downhill
Bad weather on any of the 3 long ridgwalks (Franconia and Presidentials)

Difficult ADK trails:
West slope of Saddleback, downhill
Ditto for Basin and Gothics
Both Wolfjaws, down to the col (short sections)
Sawteeth via Scenic Trail
Mudwallows on any number of unmaintained trails (like Cliff after a rain)
Ditto for unmaintained trails after a windstorm with blowdowns
Weather above treeline is not as much of an issue as in the Whites

I'm not as familiar with VT and ME, but from what I've seen, you have to seek out trouble with greater effort in those states, whereas the trouble seems to come to you in the ADKs.

ki0eh
03-12-2011, 19:14
The Harry Johns Trail in PA. I bet nobody has hiked that...except for one other.

At least two, presumably "Hairy John" Vonada did... :D

fonsie
03-12-2011, 19:32
Hiking on the Arizona Trail is pretty rough for the reason much is thru a desert and the water issue. When you do find water you have to stock up and carry extra. Well any desert is rough to hike thru, but that's my opinion.

BradMT
03-12-2011, 19:41
ADK High Peaks, Whites, Mahoosucs... take your pick. Eastern hiking in general is tougher than Western hiking IME.

garlic08
03-12-2011, 20:36
Hiking on the Arizona Trail is pretty rough for the reason much is thru a desert and the water issue. When you do find water you have to stock up and carry extra. Well any desert is rough to hike thru, but that's my opinion.

I agree, but I guess it depends on your skills, too. A friend of mine, an accomplished desert hiker, is heading out to attempt the AT soon. He's kind of worried about rain, which he very seldom experiences. That might make it hard for him, and he might be happier carrying 40 miles worth of water across open desert.

The toughest trail I've yet attempted is the Pacific Northwest Trail, but that's mainly because it's not really there for much of the route. Much of it is choked with alder and/or deadfall and progress can be agonizing. (And Yogi hasn't written a book for it yet.)

takethisbread
03-12-2011, 22:07
Only thing out west I have hiked is the Colorado Trail, so I can't speak to many of them, but the mahoosics in Maine is tougher than the Whites. The Whites are fun. Maybe because I grew up near them .

DapperD
03-13-2011, 12:12
How about Guadalupe Mountains National Park of West Texas:http://www.summitpost.org/guadalupe-peak/150689

keepinitsimple
03-17-2011, 14:49
The Everglades National Park contains some of the most inhospitable conditions I have ever seen. 3-4 inch long bug landing and biting- immune to any dope you could put on. Heat, humidity. We did 7 flat miles in an afternoon. It took the next day to recover. It is a different zone of weather- tropical.

samgriffin4
03-17-2011, 15:59
Slickrock, Wilderness in Western NC has some rough trails, notably the Naked Ground Trail and the Hangover Lead (nicknamed the "Ball Buster").

Shutterbug
03-17-2011, 16:11
In my naive and biased opinion, I'd be inclined to say the White Mountains of New Hampshire, because I've heard the gradings in parts of the country outside of the northern northeast, especially outside of the Whites, are much more rational -- though the eastern US is all pretty tough I've heard, probably because its comparatively less rugged ridges allow and challenge trails to climb virtually anywhere. After all, the 500-mile-longer PCT supposedly has only 300,000 feet of elevation change compared to the AT's 475,200 feet, according to the sources cited on wikipedia.

So, I'd vote for the Whites. Not really talking individual trails, but regions or long-distance trails.

Whiteblaze member, Colter, probably won't blow his own horn, but his hike across Alaska from east to west is about as challenging as hiking gets in the U.S. His video is "Alone Across Alaska" or something like that. Check out Colter's website -- www.bucktrack.com (http://www.bucktrack.com)

brian039
03-17-2011, 17:53
I'd say Southern Maine was tougher than the Whites but not by much. From people I've talked to, the Northern section of the Long Trail is pretty comparable to Southern Maine also. Of course summiting Mt. Doyle in Duncannon after sitting at the bar for 4 hours is pretty tough also.

WingedMonkey
03-17-2011, 18:06
The Everglades National Park contains some of the most inhospitable conditions I have ever seen. 3-4 inch long bug landing and biting- immune to any dope you could put on. Heat, humidity. We did 7 flat miles in an afternoon. It took the next day to recover. It is a different zone of weather- tropical.

But you missed the fun parts...wading thru skin cutting sawgrass or climbing mangrove roots when the mud gets too thick.
:sun

RockDoc
03-17-2011, 18:11
I believe that Karl Meltzer said that the Maine AT was the toughest trail he'd ever seen. And he has seen some tough trails... including Hardrock, Leadville, Pikes Peak, Western States 100, etc..

"Everyone has one", but the reliability of Opinions always depends on the credentials of the speaker, you know.

TheChop
03-17-2011, 18:15
I won't be bold enough to say in the US but I believe the Duncan Ridge Trail is the hardest in the southeastern US.

modiyooch
03-17-2011, 21:28
MT Washington was the toughest thing that I have ever done in my life. It wasn't the terrian, but the conditions. 70mph gale force wins slamming me to the ground, no to mention the snow & sleet. This was in August.

Snowleopard
03-17-2011, 23:44
I won't be bold enough to say in the US but I believe the Duncan Ridge Trail is the hardest in the southeastern US.
Thanks for the mention of the DRT, which led to this post by Dances with Mice:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=80580&postcount=8

Once I had trouble pitching a tent because Ladyslipper orchids were blooming in all the cleared areas. Great wildflowers in spring, violets even cover the trail in some places.
I kept coming onto vistas and admiring the views, but there was something unusual that I couldn't place. Being the quick study that I am, it only took me a couple days to figure it out: Spring was already in the valleys and you could see a clear line on the mountains below which the trees had leafed out but above it the trees were still bare. You could tell exactly where Spring was! And for a little while the Trail dipped down into a gap and the Trail was right on that line - every tree below me had fresh leaves but the trees around me didn't yet. I was literally Standing On Spring!
Some trails are hard but worth the effort.
I've never been there, but Dances with Mice has convinced me with this post to go there someday.

wcgornto
03-18-2011, 03:37
MT Washington was the toughest thing that I have ever done in my life. It wasn't the terrian, but the conditions. 70mph gale force wins slamming me to the ground, no to mention the snow & sleet. This was in August.

I get that just going out to get into the car here in Wasilla, AK. The wind comes and goes during the winter. Sometimes it gusts to 70 or 80 mph.

modiyooch
03-18-2011, 07:04
I get that just going out to get into the car here in Wasilla, AK. The wind comes and goes during the winter. Sometimes it gusts to 70 or 80 mph.yes, but you are getting into the car and not dancing around on a ledge. I am so thankful that the wind was blowing me against the mountain and not off the mountain. I grew up on the beach and have never been exposed to gales force winds in that manner.