PDA

View Full Version : Balaclava

stickat04
01-10-2005, 15:37
Will I need a Balaclava for a MArch 1st start?

Jaybird
01-10-2005, 15:42
i LOVE Greek pastries! :D

okokokokokokok...just joking...

if your head gets cold easy...wear a wool cap, baseball cap or balaclava...whatever works for you.

Footslogger
01-10-2005, 15:45
Will I need a Balaclava for a MArch 1st start?===============================
I would say it depends a lot on how cold your neck tends to get. You're still gonna get some snow fall and freezing nights and chilly/windy days that early in March.

I carry a lightweight balaclava made out of thin polyester ...the same stuff that long underwear is made of. Sold at REI for about $9. Just enough to keep the wind off my face and add a layer of warmth to my head. If it's still windy as the day warms up, I generally pull it down completely around my neck.

The thing weighs less than an ounce but really does the trick and I carry it all seasons except Summer.

'Slogger

hungryhowie
01-10-2005, 16:44
Will I need a Balaclava for a MArch 1st start?

I carry a balaclava all year round. The best, most versitile design I've found is made by Patagonia. Their R1 balaclava is the newest version, though mine is made with powerstretch. This design allows the wearer to have the opening as just a slit for their eyes, under the nose, or even under the chin. You can pull the entire opening over your head and use it as a neck gaitor. You can also fold up the sides to make it into a more traditional skull cap. Mine weighs about 2-3oz. great investment. In the colder climates, I generally take an additional and simple fleece skull cap to suplement the head insulation.

-howie

Mags
01-10-2005, 17:03
(Though baclavas taste better..mmm..)

I always bring a balaclava hiking, no matter what time of the year. Have a polypro balaclava that weight 1.75 oz, couple that with a fleece beanie (1.125 oz) and for less than 3 oz total have a warm and toasty hat sytem that has seen me through all kinds of weather while hiking. Do you need a balaclava? No. But for less than 2oz it helps immensley. YMMV.

The Solemates
01-10-2005, 17:49
I do not carry a balaclava, even in cold temps. Instead, I carry a windstopper hat and a bandana, which saves weight (arguably, since the windstopper hat is slightly heavier than many fleece hats, but I believe it is better protection). If the wind is blowing I will put the bandana over my face "cowboy style." My own hot breath keeps my face and nose warm. Many times I also tuck my neck and face down into a high-necked fleece collar if Im still cold.

Brushy Sage
01-10-2005, 21:31
I started Mar 4. I used the balaclava once or twice during the day while hiking, and much more frequently at night, while attempting to sleep, with the temperature falling and the wind/rain/fog blowing.

SGT Rock
01-10-2005, 21:33
I use a neck gaiter and a knit cap. Together they can be a blaclava, or you can open it up for ventilation based on temperature and preference.

Youngblood
01-11-2005, 10:17
I use a neck gaiter and a knit cap. Together they can be a blaclava, or you can open it up for ventilation based on temperature and preference.My sentiments also, I like the versatility of having a seperate fleece cap and a seperate fleece neck gaiter. With the fleece cap I use, I can cover my eyes on those rare occasions that it is too light to sleep (full moons, headlamps, etc).

Youngblood

Footslogger
01-11-2005, 10:27
My sentiments also, I like the versatility of having a seperate fleece cap and a seperate fleece neck gaiter. With the fleece cap I use, I can cover my eyes on those rare occasions that it is too light to sleep (full moons, headlamps, etc).

Youngblood=================================
I carry a light weight polartech hat too ...but the polyester balaclava is nice because it covers my entire head/neck. Guess it's all in what you're comforable with. I just like being able to cover my entire head/neck with the balaclava at night, leaving my eyes and nose peaking through the hole. On those really cool nights I pull the fleece hat on too.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Mags
01-11-2005, 13:01
I should also add that I often above treeline quite a bit. Often need the prorection more than back East.

When I did my AT thru-hike, just wore a balaclava and no fleece cap.

Alligator
01-11-2005, 13:07
(Though baclavas taste better..mmm..)

My mother-in-law is Greek. She makes excellent baclava:banana .

I go the hat and neck gaitor route before bringing the balaclava. I like the versatility, although this weighs more. I bring the balaclava though in the winter in case my hat gets wet.

grrickar
01-11-2005, 18:46
I had a fleece beanie and a fleece ear warmer, and a fleece neck gaitor. I figured when it was really cold I'd need all of them, but I didn't want the weight of the three so I bought this: http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0005744.jsp

Now I can leave the other three at home, or bring just the hat for cool nights.

peter_pan
01-21-2005, 11:39
Made a balaclava with an opening big enough to pull down like a neck gaiter and added cheek pads so that it would have the coverage of a small hole model....nice... I aslo carry a wool or acrylic watch cap in winter.

Being able to protect the head and neck is the key to easy heat regulation in most circumstances.

Footslogger
01-21-2005, 12:02
Being able to protect the head is the key to easy heat regulation in most circumstances.==================================
...especially for those of us "follicularly challenged" hikers !! The vast majority of my heat loss is via the dome.

'Slogger
AT 2003

java
01-21-2005, 12:16
I used a neck gaiter and North Face windstopper fleece hat. I carried both throughout the spring, summer, winter and fall. I often sleep in both (I sleep really cold).
I made my own neck gaiter out of an old fleece sweatshirt, I just cut off the arm and trimmed it down to about 9 inches. It's worked great, and is very lightweight, plus it didn't cost anything!! I made a pillow out of the body part of the fleece, which I also still use.